Learn more

Thousand Steps is a 3.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Mount Union, Pennsylvania that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and rock climbing and is best used from March until August. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,125 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

Thousand Steps is the mid section of the Standing Stone Trail as the trail ascends Jacks Mountain on SGL 112. Great views along the way and at the end of this hike. It also makes for a great workout as this is a very strenuous hike. It is equivalent to a 1 hour stair master workout. There are plenty of places to rest and look at the great views that this hike has to offer. This is also a geocacher friendly hike.

Did the stairs in 22 minutes. Def a fun trail!

This hike is a workout! Went from entry point off 522 up to the quarry at the top. Be prepared for your legs to be burning when you’re done! Great views along the way- trail is well marked, but rocky, so make sure to wear sturdy shoes to keep from slipping. The day I went was pretty busy, and the steps are narrow, so be prepared to have to move aside to accommodate people frequently.

Just completed this trail with my friend. This was a great workout! Wish the trail at the top was a loop, rather than an out and back. Obviously lots of rock and may not be good for little kids. This had beautiful views so take a phone or camera. We would recommend going after 4 pm in the summer because of heat and take water!! We did not and wished we would have!!

This has to be one of the toughest hikes I’ve ever done, but the view at the top and the accomplishment of finishing is definitely worth it! There are in fact more than 1000 steps, but I’d say realistically around 1350 in total. The top has a spectacular view of the valley from Dinkey Shed, and if you prefer, you can continue up the mountain to the plateaus and pine cliffs at the top. If you are using AllTrails to map your hike, I will recommend not walking the whole trail, as the trail abruptly ends in the middle of the woods. The path overgrows and you cannot go any further. It’s better just to turn back at the Ledge Quarry.

I’m local and have been going here since I was a teenager. It’s a hike, that’s for sure. No matter how often you go, it’s a nice workout. The views are spectacular and definitely worth hiking beyond the steps. I’ve met people from everywhere on these steps. These days it’s just entirely too busy on weekends. All in all it’s definitely worth the trek. If the parking area is full please don’t park along the highway

This is a really cool hike. The steps are difficult - we are relatively fit save for my grumpy knee - but still took us about 45 minutes to do the climb. Some parts of the steps are very steep. Our little pitbull handled them just fine. Once at the top, the trail is a very pleasant flat walk, out to the Dinkey Shed and the Ledge Quarry lookout. I also advise hooking back around to the views on the other side of the mountain as well, there are some pretty cool rocky cliffs with spectacular scenery although the lookout at the end is not quite as scenic. All total we did 4.5 miles, the way down is quicker but be careful! Bring water and bug spray.

Bring lots of water and be careful about when you go because heavy traffic can really take you out of the zone if you prefer to keep moving. The incline is fairly steep at certain points, so be prepared to be angry with your glutes the following day. Interesting history as well, so I'd check out the info hut at the start.

Loved this trail! Such a great challenge and workout. There are more than a thousand steps though and the distance isn’t entirely accurate either — it’s less if you just want to do the thousand and check out the dinkey shed or ledge quarry which is what most people do. I clocked it at about 2.5 miles by the time I got back down. I’d definitely hike this again!

Loved this trail! I drove over 4 hours for this hike and man was the views worth it! The stairs are for no beginner, like myself but doable!! Loved every moment of this hike and so did my dog!

A wonderful trail with wonderful views at the top! A good workout in the beginning up the stairs and plenty of options to explore more once you get to the top. My favorite hike in PA so far. It was very crowded with no one wearing face masks, though.

What an amazing trail. The steps were steeper than expected but I enjoyed the challenge. I was lucky enough to run into a Robert F. Mitchell coin at step 900 so I left 3 more at step 250 for some lucky hikers.

As someone with a bad knee, I was a little nervous but it’s definitely doable and worth it. Took my time on the way down. Great overlook.

Walking the steps was awesome very minimal foot traffic. Took it up to Dinkey Shed and followed the trail to the first lookout Ledge Quarry. (1st lookout) then continued following the trail which was very well marked on the trees. Zig zagged all the way to the top stoping at the 2nd lookout Mill Creek Quarry then looped back around to the top of the steps. Nice 7.3 mile hike.

It is one of my favorite hikes a tough trail worth the view when you get to the top

This trail is pretty tough. My wife and I did it 56. 60. It took us 45 minutes to get to the top of the stairs. But keep going,the overlooks are awesome.

wonderful day for this great hike. going up the 1000 plus steps was a challenge. I did it with a couple of breaks. I plan on doing it again to compare! Great views and we'll maintained. Bring your poles to help balance going down!!

Definitely not kind to the knees and there are MORE than one thousand steps but still one of our yearly "must-do" hikes. Plenty of places to stop and rest. We did run into a couple who reported seeing a bear on the trail just beyond the vista so be aware!

Fun trail and definitely a workout. There are plenty of places to stop and rest or move out of the way to let people pass. There is more than 1,000 steps and the photo spot icon on the map is off. It has the picture spot further along the trail than it really is.

I knew this would be a hard trail but with some breaks the first thousand steps went pretty fast. My dog and 16 yr old son did great. We walked up to see the “dinky shed” and the .5 mile trial to another overlook. We walked for awhile along the ridge but turned around at 2 miles...nice view of the Juniata river and the snaking trains. Our Golden was a little scared of the walk down but overall not bad, just took our time. Want to take more of my family back and check out some other sections of the trail.

This is a fun trail. Lots of work going up. Beautiful views up top. A little building to see as well. Make sure to go both ways once you get to the top to see everything. Logged only 3.25 even with wandering around up top. Definitely worth the drive.

My poor knees were not prepared for the ascending portion. It was well worth it though. The views are absolutely gorgeous. I want to do again in a few months to see how much better I can do!

Great hike! Don’t forget to make a trip into town for food at Standing Stone!

Very cool and unique trail. Mostly all uphill with stone steps.