Thousand Steps

Thousand Steps is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Union, Pennsylvania that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and rock climbing and is best used from March until August. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Great views along the way and at the end of this hike. Great work out also. This is a very strenuous hike. It is equivelant to a 1 hour stair master workout. There are plenty of places to rest though and look at the great views that this hike has to offer. This is also a geocacher friendly hike.

This trail was an amazing workout! I would recommend that you be in moderate to great shape before you decide to tackle this. The view from the top...which was over 1100 steps..was amazing. This is a must do if you are an avid hiker and in the Huntington area!

Absolutely loved this. not easy, but there were all sorts of people who did it. I don't recommend racing it, you will burn out quickly... believe me!! it's more than 1000 steps, but keep going and be sure to take the extra steps to the top of the lookout! I don't recommend taking young children, it's grueling.

1000 steps for those who are active/in good shape will take you 30 minutes or less to ascend(30 to descend too). It’s definitely a good short adventure and can be done as a evening excursion in the summer. We drove two hours from York and finished by 8pm. The views at the top are decent to nice .

I saw this hike and, having grown up in Pennsylvania, decided to do it. Stopping for breath about every 25 steps I finally made it. Once at the top it was fun to explore the brick "office" at the top of what was once the incline. Go to the right (east) a short distance along an evident trail to get your first expansive view of the mountainside. Then go to the left (west) to the best viewpoint all day and then further along to more views. I then continued to the summit and back just to explore. Once your legs are tired, be aware that it is also a long way down and plan accordingly. I would love to have seen this mining operation back in the day.

The Thousand Steps is a really intense , but kinda short trip. It was real work going up , but harder to go down , because your legs are shaking ! If you would like to extend the trip , there are trails that run out on the top. Theirs a trail that runs north for miles. Definitely worth checking out.

nice workout but well worth it when u reach the summit! nice history lesson as well

Great workout, beautiful views, and interesting history behind this hike.

This is a really beautiful hike. I'll admit the steps are a bit strenuous but the views make it all worth it! Just go slow and steady and you'll be glad you did this hike. I did this hike with a friend and then again with a women's hiking group. If you're a female and interested in hiking with other females Join our FB page and be included in monthly meetups in PA.

I took advantage of a beautiful February day by checking out Thousand Steps. I honestly found it not too terrible on the way up. I stopped several times for a minute to catch my breath, but made it to the top in a little less than an hour. Saw the beautiful vistas and remnants of an old building. What I didn’t expect was how challenging the descent would be. My legs wobbled the whole way down. My muscles were spent. I would definitely recommend 1 or 2 hiking poles for the way down, it kept me from going too fast and eating rock. Definitely a nice trail and I really appreciated the historical context. Also, the markings every 100 steps were super helpful. I would consider it more moderate than hard.

A challenging hike, however, well worth every step! The beautiful views from every ‘platform’ are breathtaking. Along the way, catch up on the true history of 1,000 Steps!

Beautiful views when you get to the top of the 1,000 steps. Definitely worth it in my opinion.

Omg! I’ve let myself go the last couple years so when a friend invited me along, I thought I was going to die! There were many places to step aside or sit for a little break. Once at the top, the views were amazing and it was worth the achy muscles to get there.

Strenuous ascent...all of which is on rock. Footwear choice is very important. The payoff is wonderful views above the talus slope. Well worth the effort.

Good workout, with a beautiful view. Would go again!

Great workout, beautiful views throughout the hike. Heavily used on what was a beautiful day in December. Kids (9 and 5) had a blast as well.

Great trail and area. Really enjoyed the sunset and view at the top. Was about 3.5 miles total up and back and walking around at the top.

Good workout. Great views!

A beautiful hike. challenging take your time rest when you need to bring lots of water.

Very challenging, but worth the effort! Wonderful views, especially if you continue on to the "Standing Stone Trail".

Great workout. We did the 9 mile out and back; last 2 vistas not necessarily worth the extra 2.4 miles but otherwise a great outdoors way to spend the day.

Very fun experience! First lookout point is better than the final lookout point.

moderately difficult, views are defiantly worth the climb!!

really nice trail

Super fun! Beautiful views, great workout!

Stumbled upon this hike but it was great! Good workout so make sure you're in appropriate attire and walking/climbing shoes. Views are awesome at the top!

Great day trip! You are fully exposed to the elements, go on a cooler day if the heat/sun bothers you.

This is NOT a trail for starters. When you get to the top be sure to check out all the views- makes the hike worth all the hard work! Great geocaching along the way as well!

Just hiked this recently and had a blast! I loved the abandon building and the view at the top!

Awesome trail! Great leg workout!