Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Thousand Steps is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mount Union, Pennsylvania that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and rock climbing and is best used from March until August. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Great views along the way and at the end of this hike. Great work out also. This is a very strenuous hike. It is equivelant to a 1 hour stair master workout. There are plenty of places to rest though and look at the great views that this hike has to offer. This is also a geocacher friendly hike.

Completed this trail last weekend with snow still on the ground and on some of the steps. The steps are a great workout and all the views were amazing on both the east and west sides. A beautiful hike to end the winter season.

Thousand Steps was fantastic! The hike itself is phenomenal -the step portion was nice and difficult and the trail portions were easy- it was great to have that nice break. I did see an energetic dog along with its respective owners, so i guess you can take your dogs here, but I left my little shellie at home. This isn’t a hike for beginners or complainers, you’ll get a good workout in. Make sure to stretch your legs after!

Great workout. Very cold but worth it to see the views.

you do not need anything but a water supply and some determination. the trip takes a person of average fitness level 45min to reach the top. you don't need a pack or boots, sneakers will suffice. It's a workout for sure but, not soul crushing.

Beautiful views! I loved this place. Trails are all well maintained. Recommend hiking boots and hiking stick.

great hike do it once a year on my hiking in Pa anniversary

We took our scout and webelo pack camping in the Tuscarora State forest about 40 minutes from this trail. We had a mix of 12-16 year old scouts and a few 10-11 year old cubs with varying degrees of hiking experience and fitness levels. I’m 47 and in decent shape, and I was able to do the steps, then hike another mile or so once we got to the top.

The views are fantastic, and the hike is somewhat hard, but definitely worth it. I would recommend a hiking or trekking stick for the descent, and a solid pair of hiking shoes/boots with thick sides as there are a lot of loose, sharp rocks that will beat up your feet. Also recommend a camera and lots of water. Great trail with an interesting history.

A little over 1,000 steps! It was a great workout and the view at the top was awesome.

Absolutely beautiful scenery especially in the fall right now while the leaves are changing! Very steep steps but getting to the top is worth it!

Great short hike, awesome views and a good workout!

Hard but worth the effort

not that bad of a hike but the steps were hard

An amazing trail with several wonderful views. Very difficult trail, not for the faint of heart.

To many steps

great trail, well kept, but it is a workout. bring plenty of water.

Me and my Girlfriend just visited this trail over the weekend. It was something she found, sp we decided to have our first ever runaway together.
We are in our (young 40's). I have to say it's a work out. I like to say the first 200 to 300 step will kick your butt for some reason but after that it seemed easier.
Great views from on Top.
I recommend after completing the "Thousand Steps" to go a bit more.
you can take a Right to check out some of the Rocks on the side of the hill but if you take a Left and head down to the building on the trail "It was used to service the Train on the Railroad" continue pass the building heading up to "Look out 5" if I remember.
You will get to the very top and look over the Valley.
You can't miss it, There is an old Railroad tie in the ground.
This spot makes it worth the climb.
My girlfriend counted on the way down for our trail hike. 1,143 steps... So, if you do the Thousand... What's a few more steps..
You'll be hurting with or without the extra steps.
Cheers!

My boyfriend and I (age 30) heard great things about this trail, so we decided to check it out. It took us about 30 minutes to get the top, we saw a small black snake on the way up and one black snake on the way down. At the top there is a few overlooks with awesome views, as well as addiontal trails. One has an old cement building on that you can walk through. The trail is very dog and kid friendly.

did this while doing the standing stone trail, such a great workout with epic views at the top, ready to do again without the 30 pounds on my back :)

Great workout! The walking sticks definitely helped. Nice breeze about halfway up. Loved the views.

Great morning hike to catch the fog over the Juniata River. It is possible to continue past the trail by a few miles. The extra distance was very uneventful. Would recommend only going to the building and back. The rest is boring...

This trail was an amazing workout! I would recommend that you be in moderate to great shape before you decide to tackle this. The view from the top...which was over 1100 steps..was amazing. This is a must do if you are an avid hiker and in the Huntington area!

Absolutely loved this. not easy, but there were all sorts of people who did it. I don't recommend racing it, you will burn out quickly... believe me!! it's more than 1000 steps, but keep going and be sure to take the extra steps to the top of the lookout! I don't recommend taking young children, it's grueling.

1000 steps for those who are active/in good shape will take you 30 minutes or less to ascend(30 to descend too). It’s definitely a good short adventure and can be done as a evening excursion in the summer. We drove two hours from York and finished by 8pm. The views at the top are decent to nice .

I saw this hike and, having grown up in Pennsylvania, decided to do it. Stopping for breath about every 25 steps I finally made it. Once at the top it was fun to explore the brick "office" at the top of what was once the incline. Go to the right (east) a short distance along an evident trail to get your first expansive view of the mountainside. Then go to the left (west) to the best viewpoint all day and then further along to more views. I then continued to the summit and back just to explore. Once your legs are tired, be aware that it is also a long way down and plan accordingly. I would love to have seen this mining operation back in the day.

The Thousand Steps is a really intense , but kinda short trip. It was real work going up , but harder to go down , because your legs are shaking ! If you would like to extend the trip , there are trails that run out on the top. Theirs a trail that runs north for miles. Definitely worth checking out.

nice workout but well worth it when u reach the summit! nice history lesson as well

Sunday, March 18, 2018

Great workout, beautiful views, and interesting history behind this hike.

Sunday, March 11, 2018

This is a really beautiful hike. I'll admit the steps are a bit strenuous but the views make it all worth it! Just go slow and steady and you'll be glad you did this hike. I did this hike with a friend and then again with a women's hiking group. If you're a female and interested in hiking with other females Join our FB page and be included in monthly meetups in PA.

Tuesday, February 27, 2018

I took advantage of a beautiful February day by checking out Thousand Steps. I honestly found it not too terrible on the way up. I stopped several times for a minute to catch my breath, but made it to the top in a little less than an hour. Saw the beautiful vistas and remnants of an old building. What I didn’t expect was how challenging the descent would be. My legs wobbled the whole way down. My muscles were spent. I would definitely recommend 1 or 2 hiking poles for the way down, it kept me from going too fast and eating rock. Definitely a nice trail and I really appreciated the historical context. Also, the markings every 100 steps were super helpful. I would consider it more moderate than hard.