The Throne Room, Standing Stone Trail

The Throne Room, Standing Stone Trail is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Shirley Twp, Pennsylvania that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The road to this trailhead was very poor. I tried to get it up two separate occasions. The first time I had to turn around because of snow and the second time I had to pull over in a field and walk the rest of the way because of mud. When I finally reached the trail it looked like most of the trees had been cut down and the few that were still standing were marked. There were lots of private property signs everywhere so we just turned around and went back. Not sure what was going on.

Did this a few summers ago. Great views, and great bears crossing the trail.

Clearly marked red blazed trail. Easy walk , until you come to where the trail takes you up the mountain to the Vistas. Sign says it's a 1 km hike up, I didn't track it, but, although not a long distance, it was a work out. It is a steep and fairly rocky climb to the top. Definitely wear proper footwear. Once to the top, you will be rewarded by beautiful views and it's WELL worth the climb. Wish, we would have had more time to continue along the trail past the throne room! However, I wouldn't rate the climb to the Vista as easy, but rather moderate- hard.

Sunday, February 05, 2017

This is a short climb... but it is just that, a climb. This is just a tiny section to the now 80 mile standing stone trail. At the top you will come to a sign that has the throne room spur at .2 miles but that's debatable. Either way, I recommend doing this just for the amazing views where you can see Williamsburg fire tower on a clear day and also the 1000 steps. Be aware on a summer day, you will be joining the timber rattlers around the viewing area. My last warm trip up I encountered two about 20 feet from the overlook.

Monday, September 12, 2016