The Spirit Of Tuscarora Trail

The Spirit Of Tuscarora Trail is a 4.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Barnesville, Pennsylvania that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until January. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

beach

old growth

This trail offers a variety of surface types. You will walk along part of Locust Creek, and eventually lead into the Tuscarora State Park lake. Please practice Leave No Trace hiking and pack out whatever trash you bring in. The out and back trail is a white blaze, and turns into a yellow blaze to continue onto Tuscarora Lake. The Red blaze leads off of the white blaze to a side trail that takes you to an alternate trail head entrance at the bottom of Tuscarora Mtn Dr (Catawissa Rd).

We did this trail as part of the loop around the lake. The park map is missing the blue-blazed trail. It completes the loop by connecting the crow trail to the spirit trail, which also includes a short section on the road. We went clockwise, starting from the boat launch. Follow the yellow blazes until the lakeview trail comes to a clearing and there's really no clue as to which way to go. Bear right (~45 degrees) going a little downhill and stay on the wide one-car-lane trail. Bear left at the intersection with the crow trail, no signs or blazes, and follow this to the road. Take a right at the road, cross the bridge, and the blue-blazed trail is right there. Follow this to the red-blazed trail (we went right), then to the white-blazed trail (we went right), then to the yellow-blazed trail (right again), back to the lake. About 6 miles around. Overall, a very pretty trail, fairly easy, but requires some route-finding skills.

The description and trail map is not accurate. The actual Spirit Trail head is in Tuscarora State Park and it's an out and back trail approx 2.0 miles long. The loop around the lake is called the Lake View Trail. These two trails do not intersect.

trails need some signage!

This shows the trail looping around the lake and being about 4 miles. It was 4-5miles into the creek that feeds the lake, no way to cross the creek, and you would have to climb up an almost 90 degree angle to get back to the trail. Had to turn around and go back the way we came.

Monday, June 20, 2016

We had a lot of fun. The birds were chirping, the woodpecker made its presence known, and I even saw the chipmunk stick its head out of its den. My family and I would recommend this trail to others. After we hiked, we went swimming.

Thursday, June 16, 2016

My kids love it, specially all the bridges they had to cross they were able to see some fishy

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Absolutely love this trail. I have been hiking this since I've been a little girl and introducing my out of town friends here for years. It's a wonderful hike, though I would recommend Deep Woods bug repellant (the "horse" black flies are an issue in the Spring/Summer months). Winter is a great time to hike, pest free. Late Winter into Early Spring there is alot of excess water from the snow melt, which accounts for the muddy/wet conditions.

Friday, May 12, 2017