The Spirit Of Tuscarora Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(54)
Tuscarora State Park

The Spirit Of Tuscarora Trail is a 3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Barnesville, Pennsylvania that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.0 miles Elevation Gain: 334 feet Route Type: Loop

This route can be accessed by either the trailhead shown on this page, or by starting on Church Street and looping around the lake, before reaching the starting point shown here. This route starts as yellow blazed, and then white, then red.

Really nice and secluded! We didn’t do the whole trail but it was still beautiful

bridge out

This is a great trail! I felt it was well marked. Two spots in the red portion were iffy but easy to figure out which way to go. I saw where the prior review said about having to go through 3' of water. The bridge is still out but it is much lower now and able to cross on rocks. The trail itself was nicely maintained and a good portion is along a stream. I really enjoyed it.

bridge out
flooded

Awesome day in the forest!!! Quite WET! We did yellow - white - red FYI red is washed out and was hard to find the trail then when you reach one of the bridges the bridge is out.. we just went through the water (3 ft deep) lol. Great adventure!! Lots of salamanders, toads and chipmunks. Will be back for sure!

Our new favorite trail! It was peaceful and quiet, challenging but easy enough for a child. The views of the lake were beautiful.m, but the walk along the creek was was our favorite.

Nice trail with nice views.

Awesome trail with lots of change in scenery along the way. Lots of pine and so much rhododendron! Although most everything was frozen when I did this, it looked liked the red blazed portion of this would be the muddiest. Really loved the narrow trail section which goes all along the stream.

This is are beautiful trails. It leads along the water, up and down the mountain, through the mountain laurels and gives the hiker views of the lake. It took a little under 2 hours to do yellow, to white, to red, back to white and return on yellow trail. I'm not a fast hiker and I stopped to take pictures and enjoy the stream. This is likely to become a regular hike for me. It's not a technical trail but still, good hiking shoes will make this enjoyable.

The start-stop point for this trail is incorrect. The start-stop trail to do the entire loop is up on Church St. which is about 1 mile further to the south along Tuscarora Mountain Drive. Church St is an unmarked dirt road on the left side, after crossing Locust Creek. The trailhead parking is about 1600 ft further along Church St (dirt road) on the right side. That said, Spirit Trail (yellow-blazed) is really only a small section of the entire loop from start to finish. See the park map. If done counter-clockwise, you will exit on the blue loop (not marked on official trail map) just on the north side of Locust Creek along Tuscarora Mountain Road. From there walk south to Church St and to parking. The intersection between the white loop and red loop is not blazed well on the trees. This could certainly be done better by park rangers. Otherwise a great hike, particularly the blue-red-white and yellow sections with varied terrain and flora.

This is a great trail to hike. However, the Spirit Of Tuscarora Trail does not loop around the lake. The Spirit Of Tuscarora Trail consists of two loops. Start in the park (yellow blazes), come to loop one (white blazes), then loop two (red blazes). Just follow the yellow to white to red and you’ll be fine, reverse to red to white to yellow on the way back. If you feel you might have a problem stop at the park office and pick up a map. The blue blazed trail isn’t on the park map, taking that leads to to the road. If you take the blue blazed trail you can loop around by walking up the road a bit, taking the Crow Trail until you reach the Lakeview Trail. That is the ONLY way around the lake. Be sure to check out the Spirit Tree along the Spirit Of Tuscarora Trail. It was struck by lightning sometime this year so see it while you can. If you like variety in your hike this is the trail for you. Definitely doing this again!

beautiful, well maintained trail.

Great hiking spot, pictures don’t do the place justice. Also great place to take a dog, my dog was in all his glory

confused when the yellow blazes stopped had to backtrack all the way back as to not get lost

Fun easy trail. We followed yellow, red then blue blazes. From boat launch to spirit of Tuscarora trail to Tuscarora mountain road.

Sun Mar 17 2019

Great hike! Very dense at some spots but we loved that. We didn’t mind hiking/climbing over some downed trees and due to the melting snow it was a little muddy in some spots. Overall I would agree that the trail is easy in difficulty. I will note that the back loop’s marker changes color - front bit shows yellow and then it changes to white! We will be back in the late spring/early summer to see the difference once everything is lush!

Tue Jul 10 2018

Could be nice. Be careful at the very beginning some asshole broke a bunch of glass. Ny dog almost got cut

Sun Apr 22 2018

We did this trail as part of the loop around the lake. The park map is missing the blue-blazed trail. It completes the loop by connecting the crow trail to the spirit trail, which also includes a short section on the road. We went clockwise, starting from the boat launch. Follow the yellow blazes until the lakeview trail comes to a clearing and there's really no clue as to which way to go. Bear right (~45 degrees) going a little downhill and stay on the wide one-car-lane trail. Bear left at the intersection with the crow trail, no signs or blazes, and follow this to the road. Take a right at the road, cross the bridge, and the blue-blazed trail is right there. Follow this to the red-blazed trail (we went right), then to the white-blazed trail (we went right), then to the yellow-blazed trail (right again), back to the lake. About 6 miles around. Overall, a very pretty trail, fairly easy, but requires some route-finding skills.

Sun Nov 12 2017

The description and trail map is not accurate. The actual Spirit Trail head is in Tuscarora State Park and it's an out and back trail approx 2.0 miles long. The loop around the lake is called the Lake View Trail. These two trails do not intersect.

Wed Oct 11 2017

trails need some signage!

Sat Jun 03 2017

This shows the trail looping around the lake and being about 4 miles. It was 4-5miles into the creek that feeds the lake, no way to cross the creek, and you would have to climb up an almost 90 degree angle to get back to the trail. Had to turn around and go back the way we came.

Mon Jun 20 2016

We had a lot of fun. The birds were chirping, the woodpecker made its presence known, and I even saw the chipmunk stick its head out of its den. My family and I would recommend this trail to others. After we hiked, we went swimming.

Thu Jun 16 2016

My kids love it, specially all the bridges they had to cross they were able to see some fishy

Sun Jun 23 2013

Absolutely love this trail. I have been hiking this since I've been a little girl and introducing my out of town friends here for years. It's a wonderful hike, though I would recommend Deep Woods bug repellant (the "horse" black flies are an issue in the Spring/Summer months). Winter is a great time to hike, pest free. Late Winter into Early Spring there is alot of excess water from the snow melt, which accounts for the muddy/wet conditions.