Tank Hollow Trail

Tank Hollow Trail is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Not good for family hike with kids. Encounter Cooperhead and Rattlesnake on the trees and in between the rocks.

We hike with our kids (5 & 8) and none of us liked the hike. Most of the hike was a stone road that was 80% in the sun. Very boring. It's not a "hike", it's more of a walk in the sun.

Relatively flat hike to the overlook and the view is very nice.

The initial walk down the gravel road is long and can be hot on a sunny, summer day because the road is open without much tree cover. The side trail to get to the cliff is easy to miss and unmarked but if using the hiking app it will mark where to turn. This next trail is beautiful. Its shaded and full of wild life. Towards the end of the trail it becomes rocky with large boulders, can be dangerous and difficult for young children or small dogs. The end of the path is worth the hike. Beautiful view of the gorge below and miles outward above the trees. Caution!!! Sunbathing on the edge of the cliff were two Copperhead snakes. My husband unbeknownst almost stepped on them. We actually have a picture of him standing just a small rock above the crease they were laying in. (Before we saw them of course!) Therefore, keep caution for snakes and tread carefully.

Beautiful View, had a bit of a hard time finding entry point without my phone and rattle snakes once we reached the lookout

Great view of the river from the top.

Very easy hike. The map will take you to an access road for hunting. You just hike down that for about a mile or so and then you'll see a path open up in the woods to your right. Then just take that path all the way to the overlook. It gets a bit tight and steep when you approach the overlook, so just be aware. Also, be wary of rattlesnakes. I saw a few sleeping under rocks on the overlook. You can also hear them while you're hiking on the path. Very very pretty view!!

A great short hike with a beautiful Vista view. World's End is one of my favorites and this vista is up there. I heard a lot of rattlesnakes but did not see any. I spent about an hour on the rocks mid day. Very easy and accessible hike for all skill levels.

I did this hike late last summer and the views were just stunning. In my opinion the best vista vantage point I've seen in Pennsylvania (Worlds End State Park, Canyon Vista is up there too) but I agree with the last reviewer. There are tons of rattlesnakes at the top. I brought my dog and was checking every few seconds. Even with being this watchful one snake snuck out about a foot behind my dog. Dog owners please beware of the real dangers of these snakes. The view is breathtaking and worth the hike but I will never be bringing my dog back there again.

Stunning view but too many rattle snakes to be able to relax. I would go back but will never take my pup there again.

I walked to far to the end of the gravel road and knew I missed the turn somewhere. We turned around and headed back to try to find the orange triangle and on our way back we seen a jeep that was parked in the same spot that lead you into the path for the lookout and did not recognize the orange triangle.. best advice is

1. park at the 2nd gate, it says no motor vehicles beyond the 1st gate.. but when you turn into the parking lot "it will say no motor behicles" but griving down the road will save you a good bit of walking( less than a mile)on the gravel road when any car can drive to the next gate. [ I wish I would if drove to the 2nd gate]

2. from the 2nd gate you walk down a slight hill decline and watch to the right of you for the orange triangle on the tree. It is small so watch for it! You will see a little foot path that leads you to the lookout! It was really muddy at the beginning of the path so be prepared.

3. beautiful site though!

loved it beatiful and scenic

Easy hike, nice view.

Are there any other trails connected to this trail to make it longer?

Nice easy walk. Great view

Great reward at the lookout. We parked in the first parking lot but could have cut the hike in half if we parked in the second lot in. Use gps. No sign for Tank Hollow which is a good thing because its kind of a secret gem and not a lot of people. Took us 45 mins each way.

Easy walk along the fire road- best bit was the last portion to the peak and view of the two rivers. Good with kids and dog.

I would recommend parking in the main lot when you first turn in if you're looking to maximize the time you spend getting there. Even with doing that, you'll probably only spend a total of 50-60 minutes walking to and from the spot.

To get to the view that you see in the pictures:

1. Keep following the gravel road, and eventually you will reach a part of the road that is like a large hill. You should be able to make out a house or two on your left at this point.

2. At this point, start keeping your eye out for a trail to your right. It will still be a short walk up the road, but it's coming up. The best way I can describe this is that it's the first trail you'll see with an upside triangle sticker on a tree that is indicating you cannot bike on the trail. (There is an identical sign on a path basically right across from where you need to go, so don't get confused.)

3. Once you make it on the path it's self-explanatory. It's only about a 10 minute walk to get to the view!

Take the gravel road back about 1.2 miles then there’s a trail on the right that takes you to the outlook. Trail is hard to find unless there’s cars parked outside it. Pretty view! Not too crowded.

Definitely a short hike. I parked in the state game lands lot on behrens road, the trail was just like everyone says, short, but worth it for the view. you have to keep an eye out for the yellow diamond marker on the tree indicating the trail for tank hollow.

Loved it! Was pretty easy to hike, and the view was so majestic!

Easy trail to walk, mostly flat, but not well marked. Glad we met someone who showed us the turnoff. View from the top is spectacular. We packed a lunch and sat on the rocks to enjoy the views.

Monday, September 18, 2017

Nice Trail to a Beautiful view overlooking the Lehigh River and Railroad, worth the look...

Sunday, September 17, 2017

I love this hike. I've been living in Hawaii since 2014 and this was my 2nd hike since moving back to PA. For those of you who are looking to do it for your first time, if you're not an advanced or moderate hiker, you’ll be fine. You can drive through the first gate to the second if you want. It will cut about a mile off the trail. Walk the path for about a mile until you see a tree on your right hand side with an arrow carved in it and a mud trail.... follow the trail. I took my lab with, enjoy IG @snapshot_ianw

Saturday, September 16, 2017

Easy trail, turn off is easy to miss. View is spectacular.

Friday, September 08, 2017

This one gets 4-stars simply for the overlook. The hike is mostly pretty dull, the first two-thirds of it is on gravel access roads. But if you're looking for a quick little hike with a tremendous payout, this one is perfect for that.

Wednesday, September 06, 2017

This trail has one of the most beautiful lookouts I've ever been to. Even though the first 1.2 miles or so is just a gravel road, it's a nice little walk until you get to the woodsy part, which is a really nice trail. The view is absolutely unbelievable. Watch out for snakes basking in the sun though!

Saturday, August 26, 2017

A one trick pony but it's one hell of a trick with one of the best views I've seen in PA. Unfortunately if the gate is closed at the parking area 3/4 of this hike is spent on what seems like a never ending stone road and it's very boring to say the least, once turning on to the real trail is decent and pretty quick to the overlook. Rocks are angled here so be careful as a fall would be extremely bad. But it's amazing looking out over the s shape of the gorge seeing the rapid in the water, hearing the rafters below laughing.

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Great hike with a stellar view. Bunch snakes on the trail but well well worth it.

Thursday, August 03, 2017

It's mostly like walking on a dirt road in the sun. The view at the end is decent IF you can find the turn off to find it (1.4 miles down the road. It's on the right with a small yellow triangle on a tree saying no biking.) Saw my first snake on a trail here so that was kind of cool.