Tanbark Trail

Tanbark Trail is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Clarendon, Pennsylvania that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Warren, PA: Trailhead parking is located at a pull-off on US 62 halfway between Tidioute or Warren or at Dunham Siding which is on the Hearts Content Road at the junction of FR 116 and 119. From Warren or Tidioute, take US 62 to its junction with Hearts Content Road. From Sheffield, take the Austin Hill (Bull Hill) Road to the Hearts Content Road.

love the trail

I found this trail to be confusing. I got to a "T" in the trail and it said that i could go either left or right. I went left and the app said I was off trail. I tried right and the app said that I was hiking away from the trail. After 4 or 5 miles of backtracking I just gave up and took the tom run back to the road. Frustrating.

I hiked this trail in the middle of Feb from the trail head on 62 to Hearts Content. I really enjoyed the hike. The trail is well marked for the most part. There are a couple places were I had to stop and search for the next blaze. There was a couple of inches of new snow on the ground. The trail starting at 62 has a fairly steep incline. The elevation change is a gain of over 700ft in the first mile. Watch your footing on that section of the trial. There are a few spots that you could get seriously hurt if you fell. There are numerous streams on this trail. You shouldn't have an issue getting water. I also passed a few good campsites over the course of this hike. I did the trail as an out and back. There are some amazing rock formations along this trail as you get closer to Hearts Content.

Saturday, November 28, 2015

We combined Tom's Run, Ironwood and Tanbark trails to make a 5.8 mile loop. Had a great time.

Monday, October 12, 2015

Loved this trail, somewhat of a workout at the beginning but clear sailing after that. Remarkably secluded. The big rock "gardens" are a sight. The whole trail is peaceful and fun. I overnighted about 2 hours in (going from the trailhead on 62) in a nice little spot next to a stream.

Monday, July 13, 2015

Great hike. Easy to moderate trails. Decent camping spots.

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Have hiked this in both summer and winter, and was surprised by how much I loved it in winter. There was about a half foot of snow on the ground, and increased with elevation, but still completely manageable. Absolutely beautiful with sun coming through the pines and snow. Easy access too -- can park in the pull-off on Route 62, cross the road, and enter at the trail head. A number of small streams (no big deal during winter, but spring and summer may prove a little soggy and buggy). Lots of boulders, which were perfect to stop and have tea.

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Very enjoyable trail. It connects to the north country trail above Minister creek and goes to route 62 and the Allegheny River. I found it to be fairly well marked and easy to follow. There is a very impressive rock formation along the trail. There were camping areas near Sandstone Spring and where the trail crosses Slater Run. Going down the hill to 62 along Boarding House Run there were several waterfalls, but the trail there has many downed trees and is not as well marked. I did find my way fairly easely though. The Toms Run loop has some nice views of the creek and is interesting, but very boggy in spots.

Monday, October 03, 2011

Much like the North Country Trail going through the region, well marked with many up and down hills, Very senic area. Nice hike.

recorded Tanbark Trail