Sunset Rocks Trail

Sunset Rocks Trail is a 7.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Gardners, Pennsylvania that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

A very fun, but short, rock scramble, and the trail is a great hike.
The rock scramble was extra fun with snow on the ground (be careful!), water from melting snow was running (stay dry!) and made for some beautiful scenery.

One of my fav hikes. Rock scramble is enough to challenge, but not enough to get you in much trouble.

Great hike with the family and kids. the highlight of the hike was the rock scrambling, AT midpoint, and lunch at Toms Run Shelter.

We had some trouble finding this but ended up parking on a small pull off on old shippensburg road. Very steep and rocking going up to sunset rock. Loved all the rocks but hard to really see the views. We did the loop back around which was fairly easy. Over all very nice hike. We had a little over 7 miles. We were out abt 4 hours.

I hopped on the AT near the general store and followed it up until I came to the sign that said "Sunset Rock". I turned up there instead of continuing on the AT across the bridge to find the second sign. In hindsight, I should've hiked it the opposite way so the rocks were at the end of the hike instead of the beginning. The scramble is definitely interesting when you're going through it backwards. There's paths to skip a lot of the major scrambling if it's not something you're comfortable with.
Blue blazes for the Sunset Rock trail, lots of bear poop, watch for copperheads.

I loved this trail. I love the steep incline and rock climbing. I was confused by the trail and became lost. A little more research on my part would have solved my problem. The rocks are challenging and you should be an experienced hiker in good physical condition.

Just near the AT museum there's a road to the right, old shippensburg rd where you follow that all the way to the end. There's some parking there where you meet to trail head.
The climb was a great steepish uphill to the top. Unfortunately, I had to turn around at the second rocks bc of a big black bear greeting me. That was fun! A copperhead was laying in some rocks at the top too so they are around. Beautiful hike what I could do though! Near the parking there's a turn to the AT also that walks by a river.

Our family did this a few moths ago. Great hike

Very nice trail and not as difficult as the description sounds. However, I only walked from the Iron Masters Mansion and followed the AT to the point where the Sunset Rocks Trail begins. It was a steep ascent from that point to the view of the valley, but it was relatively short. I didn’t have time to do the full loop but looking forward to it some day. Almost walked into a rattlesnake at the top. He was busy sunning himself on the rocks so he never moved the whole time.

Mtn Laurel is in full bloom June 7. Rhododendron are still some days away.

Very challenging hike! Fun rock scrambling over the boulders and great views. Cool site at the halfway point of the AT. Really enjoyable

Beautiful and challenging

My hike was starting at Michaux Rd, then hiking NE up to Sunset Rocks, then down to the AT and on to Pine Grove Furnace. Very narrow ridgetop with heavily bouldered trail. Trailhead at Michaux Rd was hard to find ...it looks like a driveway..so here are some tips: Coming from Rt 233 turn on Michaux Rd...look for address post #111...on right. Baby blue color trail blazes are on left and right side of Michaux Rd to alert you of proximity to trail. Follow baby blue blazes at #111 on the RIGHT side to the beginning of the rock outcrops almost immediately. If you like rocks, this is it.

Nice hike, I hit this after work sometimes in the spring/summer. A bit of rock scrambling here and there so be prepared to help your dog if you take it.

Views arent bad too.

What a great hike! It was a little difficult finding the trailhead, but we really enjoyed the hike and the beautiful views once we got going! If you've never taken this hike before, you can either park near the visitor's center and begin by following a short stretch of the Appalachian Trail to the Sunset Rocks trailhead off of Centerville Road/Pine Grove Road or drive to the end of Old Shippenburg Road to park right at the trailhead.

I very much enjoyed the loop trail. I did read previous reviews but was unprepared for the degree of boulder scrambling. Pushed me to my limit but slow and steady took the day. Met several nice people on the AT and passed the AT halfway point. Highly recommended.

Wednesday, February 21, 2018

always a fun hike, i prefer to park elsewhere and do this hike in reverse climbing to sunset rocks then gradually going back down to cars.

Friday, January 19, 2018

Awesome hike today after fresh powder fell yesterday morning! i had the only tracks out there and had he woods to myself. It was fun but extremely difficult and dangerous at the top with about 6 inches of snow on the rocks.

Sunday, November 26, 2017

Great hike with some difficult stretches.

Sunday, November 19, 2017

Great view at top

Thursday, November 09, 2017

Loved it! Went this past weekend with my significant other. The view from the rocks was amazing especially with the fall foliage.

Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Great day for a hike! Beautiful color change in the leaves!!!

Sunday, October 15, 2017

Tough, lots of climbing but so worth it. Beautiful view and varied scenery. A vista & a creek makes this super fun. Parts of the ridge are pretty narrow, but that ads to the adventure!

Sunday, October 15, 2017

Monday, August 28, 2017

Great hike and great views from the rocks.

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Awesome hike, walking up to sunset rocks its very steep but its worth it! I decided to keep on traveling on the blue blaze which is almost nothing but walking over rocks with some roughish trail until the decline. You'll than come to a road which you go to the right, than just have to keep walking a good .7 miles till the Appalachian trail starts on your right side which leads right back to your vehicle. But its still an awesome site seeing and viewing trail that was so fun! I parked at the end of old shippenburg rd as well. The way I took was about a 3.5 miles hike. Enjoy!

Thursday, August 17, 2017

amazing

Monday, August 07, 2017

Overall, a nice hike in the woods with some cool history along the way! I took the AT>Sunset Rocks Trail (finishing at the overlook), and I found it to be pretty easy/moderate in difficulty. Heading along the AT, you'll hit the trail's official halfway point; further down, you can also work in a detour to the Michaux Camp (a secret POW camp back in time used during WWII), although I didn't have the chance to do this. Along the Sunset Rocks Trail, you'll hit a boulder field which adds some difficulty and fun. The view was great! Overall, a nice, relaxed adventure day hike that is pretty moderate in difficulty. Definitely recommend! Make sure to stop by the AT Museum before you leave.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

make sure to have good shoes to walk in or your feet are going to be screaming at the end of the trail. you'll be walking on rocks majority of the time.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

The incline is steep right before you get to the top but well worth it!!! Have been there several times!!