Sunfish Pond via Appalachian Trail

Sunfish Pond via Appalachian Trail is a 8.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Stroud Township, Pennsylvania that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Great glacial pond, lots of wildlife, well maintained trail system This hike is a moderate climb to Sunfish Pond, following the Appalachian Trail heading north. The trail is well maintained and well used by dayhikers and overniters alike. The hike has a few strenuous climbs, but mostly evenly graded climbs with a few level areas in between. Follow the Dunnfield Hollow Trail down from Sunfish Pond to make it a loop. This trail does have some rather steep sections.

Awesome!! Pretty steep climb up to the B.P. Campsites. Beautiful views of PA from there. We stayed overnight one night there then hiked to sunfish pond and down the Dunnsfield Trail back to our trucks. A lot more snow up there than we originally planned and with windchill the temp dropped below 20 degrees. Dunnsfield trail was much more fun and much nicer scenery with the waterfalls. There’s 5 creek crossings on the way back that were sometimes very slippery so wear some good waterproof hiking boots!! Overall,we loved it and would definitely do it again!!!

I started with the Mount Tammany loop and combined they made for an 11 mile (+/-) hike. I chose to follow the Dunnfield Creek path on the way to Sunfish. Didn’t see a single person. This trail was definitely more adventurous with numerous stream crossings, some washed-out sections of trail, and large spots of ice. After Sunfish Pond I stayed on the AT and passed dozens of people gojng the other direction. The AT was a far easier walk back to the car. Looking forward to doing this again in he spring.

I followed the AT to Sunfish Pond and back the Dunnfield Creek to the AT. There were no tracks on the Dunnfield Creek trail but my own and various animals. It was hard to follow in the beginning since the blazes are on the rocks which were snow covered. Then they are lime green on trees with the light green mold LOL. Eventually you find the creek and just follow it. I had no idea you have to cross the creek 5 times though. Luckily I had on Yaxtrax and had trekking poles. The water was flowing good and the rocks were very icy and slippery with moss. Great hike though and Sunfish Pond is beautiful!

Definitely a trail to do, Sunfish Pond is something to see. Did Appalachian Trail up to pond and came back threw Dunnfield trail...trail is rough in the beginning..very rocky but gets better.

Nice trail, a bit crowded and rocky. Sunfish pond is nice, but the highlight was the backpackers campground before the pond. Great views from all the campsites.

Family and friends went on the AT up to Sunfish Pond and back down the Dunnfield Hollow Trail down to complete the loop (est. 7.6 mi.) Fun time, the glacial pond is very cool. There is a cairn collection on the NW side of the pond. If you can go see it. All in all solid trail.

Nice trail. Heavily trafficked. Frequently see rattlesnakes.

Love this trail! There's blueberries in July-Aug along the Dunnfield Creek Trail (green) and all around the fire road east of the pond. So make your way to Sunfish Pond, and on your way back keep an eye out for blueberries!

Would definitely take the AT up and the green trail down again. Maybe it just seemed steep and slippery because it rained yesterday, but I was glad to be coming down those slopes than fighting my way up them. Parking was full when we got there (quite late, of course). Just had to park at the visitors center across the highway though, wasn't bad.
Especially coming down the green trail, things were slightly overgrown and the blazes were exactly lichen colored. Only got a little lost. Some of the creek crossings were a little insane but there was a bypass for high water we didn't take.
Several long monotonous sections but that view at the pond made it worthwhile. Didn't make it to the overlook (dog wouldn't climb the boulders close to the water), but heard it was spectacular too. Some hikers were planning to take the road from the overlook back so that's a potential shortcut.

Saturday, June 17, 2017

Beautiful, rewarding hike!

I completed this hike on Thursday 6/15 with my fiancé and a group of friends during our stay at Worthington State Forrest campground.

We began at the Garvey Springs Trail which is easily accessible from the northern end of the campground. The ascent up is a bit steep and may be strenuous for those who are not physically fit. Be sure to pack plenty of water, and snacks. Fortunately, after 1.2 miles we made a right on the AT which hugs the north western edge of Sunfish Pond. The glacial pond is tranquil and pristine. Take caution as this portion is quite rocky, and we stumbled upon 2 snakes. We found a spot near the pond to break for lunch and to our delight 3 AT thru-hikers past by and we offered them some snacks.

Continuing past the pond we linked up with the Douglas Trail, and stumbled upon yet another snake (northern black racer). The ascent down is just as beautiful with great views of the Kittatinny Ridge.

All around a pleasant and rewarding hike. Much more secluded with less traffic compared to popular Mt. Tammany. Challenging, yet relaxing. Some parts of the trail is quite narrow with much overgrowth so take care to wear long pants and use bug spray.

Happy Hiking!

Monday, May 29, 2017

A fairly average hike in terms of difficulty in the area, with some rewarding views around the lake. There is a trail that loops around the lake making a figure 8 shape of the entire hike's path that I would recommend.

Sunday, April 30, 2017

this is a nice hike. Parking lot fills up fast so get there early. Additional parking across the highway. Very popular hike. Crowded on sunny weekends.

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Great trail!

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Hiked up the AT to Sunfish Pond and around to the turquoise trail to Sunfish Pond Fire road. From there I hit the Dunnfield Creek trail. As I came down that's when I should have called it a day but I felt good so I headed up the blue dot trail. It was damn challenging after already doing nine miles. The views at the top were amazing but I'm paying for it now with some pain in my knee. I'd recommend doing the red dot and blue dot trails first and then head up to Sunfish Pond. Think that would be easier on the knees.

Sunday, April 09, 2017

Friday, February 24, 2017

Great workout, cute pond. Moderately trafficked with hikers and friendly dogs. Lots of rocks and several stream crossings. Went on an unseasonably warm day in February but even with snow/ melting ice the hike was enjoyable. Plenty of parking. Kid and dog friendly, but not a hike for beginners.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Collado was here, Awesome Trail. Also did Camping..

Monday, November 14, 2016

Beautiful and challenging.

Thursday, October 20, 2016

great trial when you are sleeping over at camp site.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Great hike. not too crowded, beautiful Forrest, the pond was very scenic and relaxing. the trail back down dunnfield creek was equally enjoyable.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Good

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Really enjoyable hike! I wish we were able to swim in the lake though.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

It's my first time seeing a black bear in the wild. so cool!

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

I loved the challange.it is a difficult trail so you better be in good shape!

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Beautiful scenery and beautiful creatures along the way

Friday, April 15, 2016

Amazing! We started by fallowing the creek all the way up to the lake. If you fallow the path that goes around the lake (the path that's marked on the above map) you will come across a wall of rock about 20feet tall, you can climb it and you'll find another path on top which will lead you to a beautiful mountain peak and a gorgeous view. We went hiking in April and it was about 55 degrees but that didn't stop up from hopping in the lake. The water is very clean (glacial lake after all). The Appalachian trial is a little boring but it does have a camping spot on it if you're trying to set up camp. We did a little bit of off roading and did some hiking through the forest. The hike is challenging and will give your legs a good workout especially if you're not used to hiking. The area is kept clean, and I mean spotless. So yeah cool beans, love the spot. Will be coming back in the summer to camp out with a few friends.

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Great day for a hike! Parked on the other side of 80, which added a quarter mile or so. Lots of people, but when we got to the little lake, we had it to ourselves. Half way around the lake make sure that you scramble up to the ridge to get the view of the little town.

Sunday, March 06, 2016

great hike or overnight or weekend hike

Monday, December 28, 2015

Nice walk often crowded in good weather

Sunday, December 20, 2015

It was a very challenging trail with more rocks than I bargained for, and taking this in mind, it was all worth the hike, the Glacial Pond was beautiful to experience and the walk back was not lol. I highly recommend this trail for the strong at heart, lung and knee's that will indeed take a pounding on the way down.