Sunfish Pond via Appalachian Trail is a 8.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Stroud Township, Pennsylvania that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Great glacial pond, lots of wildlife, well maintained trail system This hike is a moderate climb to Sunfish Pond, following the Appalachian Trail heading north. The trail is well maintained and well used by dayhikers and overniters alike. The hike has a few strenuous climbs, but mostly evenly graded climbs with a few level areas in between. Follow the Dunnfield Hollow Trail down from Sunfish Pond to make it a loop. This trail does have some rather steep sections.

great family-friendly hike.

great day hike.

we took the AT to Sunfish Pond and then took the green trail down to the parking lot. There were five creek crossings on the green path that were tricky with our two dogs. The walk up to Sunfish Pond was easy and our dogs did that without any problems. If there hadn't been so much rain recently, the walk down would've been easier.

We took Appalachian trail to sunfish pond to turquoise and back down the Dunnfield Creek trail. Moderate incline on AT, good views of lake and then had to cross the creek 5 times over fallen trees etc due to cool Fall season temps. Overall fun day hikes - our fit bits put this more over 10 miles and hiked 5.5-6 hours. Very nice hike; pretty quiet on trail and only passing people on occasion.

definitely the best trail I've been to so far in New Jersey. Last weekend I went with my cousins. it says 8.9 miles but if you do a legit loop without taking the shortcut then it's actually over 11 miles. I wouldn't rate it as moderate though. My body wasn't sore at all the next day but you do have to be somewhat physically fit to do this trail. definitely wear proper hiking shoes. ankle support would be really helpful. if you wear merino wool socks, you'll be even more comfortable. cotton socks have no ventilation. wool protects your ankle and also keeps the moisture out. you will have to cross 5 creeks so make sure you either have waterproof shoes or boots high enough for you to easily cross the creek. the real beauty of this trail you see when the creeks start to come. some parts were extremely muddy. make sure you have enough water and snacks. definitely a must trail. legend has it that the 5 creeks were initially discovered by a native tribal leader, Zeeshan Anjum!

I climbed up from Dunnfield Creek trail and came down from AT. The total time was about 4 hours including a half hour lunch/rest at the pond. Most parts in the Dunnfield Creek trail was not difficult but the last leg had a really step elevation. With the gorgeous scenes, I was surprised to find so few people near the pond. The AT is quite easy.

I went on this hike yesterday and I highly recommend it. It starts off with a moderate incline but doesn't get too intense as you keep going up. The views of the lake are really nice and there are a ton of blueberry and a few raspberry bushes by the middle of the trail that are currently in season which taste delicious! As a heads up there is a hornets nest close to the trail a little before you get to the lake so be aware of that.

Not bad, easy trail To a nice pond for a pic nic

Awesome!! Pretty steep climb up to the B.P. Campsites. Beautiful views of PA from there. We stayed overnight one night there then hiked to sunfish pond and down the Dunnsfield Trail back to our trucks. A lot more snow up there than we originally planned and with windchill the temp dropped below 20 degrees. Dunnsfield trail was much more fun and much nicer scenery with the waterfalls. There’s 5 creek crossings on the way back that were sometimes very slippery so wear some good waterproof hiking boots!! Overall,we loved it and would definitely do it again!!!

I started with the Mount Tammany loop and combined they made for an 11 mile (+/-) hike. I chose to follow the Dunnfield Creek path on the way to Sunfish. Didn’t see a single person. This trail was definitely more adventurous with numerous stream crossings, some washed-out sections of trail, and large spots of ice. After Sunfish Pond I stayed on the AT and passed dozens of people gojng the other direction. The AT was a far easier walk back to the car. Looking forward to doing this again in he spring.

I followed the AT to Sunfish Pond and back the Dunnfield Creek to the AT. There were no tracks on the Dunnfield Creek trail but my own and various animals. It was hard to follow in the beginning since the blazes are on the rocks which were snow covered. Then they are lime green on trees with the light green mold LOL. Eventually you find the creek and just follow it. I had no idea you have to cross the creek 5 times though. Luckily I had on Yaxtrax and had trekking poles. The water was flowing good and the rocks were very icy and slippery with moss. Great hike though and Sunfish Pond is beautiful!

Saturday, October 28, 2017

Definitely a trail to do, Sunfish Pond is something to see. Did Appalachian Trail up to pond and came back threw Dunnfield trail...trail is rough in the beginning..very rocky but gets better.

Saturday, October 21, 2017

Nice trail, a bit crowded and rocky. Sunfish pond is nice, but the highlight was the backpackers campground before the pond. Great views from all the campsites.

Monday, October 09, 2017

Family and friends went on the AT up to Sunfish Pond and back down the Dunnfield Hollow Trail down to complete the loop (est. 7.6 mi.) Fun time, the glacial pond is very cool. There is a cairn collection on the NW side of the pond. If you can go see it. All in all solid trail.

Monday, September 04, 2017

Nice trail. Heavily trafficked. Frequently see rattlesnakes.

Wednesday, August 02, 2017

Love this trail! There's blueberries in July-Aug along the Dunnfield Creek Trail (green) and all around the fire road east of the pond. So make your way to Sunfish Pond, and on your way back keep an eye out for blueberries!

Monday, July 24, 2017

Would definitely take the AT up and the green trail down again. Maybe it just seemed steep and slippery because it rained yesterday, but I was glad to be coming down those slopes than fighting my way up them. Parking was full when we got there (quite late, of course). Just had to park at the visitors center across the highway though, wasn't bad.
Especially coming down the green trail, things were slightly overgrown and the blazes were exactly lichen colored. Only got a little lost. Some of the creek crossings were a little insane but there was a bypass for high water we didn't take.
Several long monotonous sections but that view at the pond made it worthwhile. Didn't make it to the overlook (dog wouldn't climb the boulders close to the water), but heard it was spectacular too. Some hikers were planning to take the road from the overlook back so that's a potential shortcut.

Saturday, June 17, 2017

Beautiful, rewarding hike!

I completed this hike on Thursday 6/15 with my fiancé and a group of friends during our stay at Worthington State Forrest campground.

We began at the Garvey Springs Trail which is easily accessible from the northern end of the campground. The ascent up is a bit steep and may be strenuous for those who are not physically fit. Be sure to pack plenty of water, and snacks. Fortunately, after 1.2 miles we made a right on the AT which hugs the north western edge of Sunfish Pond. The glacial pond is tranquil and pristine. Take caution as this portion is quite rocky, and we stumbled upon 2 snakes. We found a spot near the pond to break for lunch and to our delight 3 AT thru-hikers past by and we offered them some snacks.

Continuing past the pond we linked up with the Douglas Trail, and stumbled upon yet another snake (northern black racer). The ascent down is just as beautiful with great views of the Kittatinny Ridge.

All around a pleasant and rewarding hike. Much more secluded with less traffic compared to popular Mt. Tammany. Challenging, yet relaxing. Some parts of the trail is quite narrow with much overgrowth so take care to wear long pants and use bug spray.

Happy Hiking!

Monday, May 29, 2017

A fairly average hike in terms of difficulty in the area, with some rewarding views around the lake. There is a trail that loops around the lake making a figure 8 shape of the entire hike's path that I would recommend.

Sunday, April 30, 2017

this is a nice hike. Parking lot fills up fast so get there early. Additional parking across the highway. Very popular hike. Crowded on sunny weekends.

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Great trail!

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Hiked up the AT to Sunfish Pond and around to the turquoise trail to Sunfish Pond Fire road. From there I hit the Dunnfield Creek trail. As I came down that's when I should have called it a day but I felt good so I headed up the blue dot trail. It was damn challenging after already doing nine miles. The views at the top were amazing but I'm paying for it now with some pain in my knee. I'd recommend doing the red dot and blue dot trails first and then head up to Sunfish Pond. Think that would be easier on the knees.

Sunday, April 09, 2017

Friday, February 24, 2017

Great workout, cute pond. Moderately trafficked with hikers and friendly dogs. Lots of rocks and several stream crossings. Went on an unseasonably warm day in February but even with snow/ melting ice the hike was enjoyable. Plenty of parking. Kid and dog friendly, but not a hike for beginners.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Collado was here, Awesome Trail. Also did Camping..

Monday, November 14, 2016

Beautiful and challenging.

Thursday, October 20, 2016

great trial when you are sleeping over at camp site.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Great hike. not too crowded, beautiful Forrest, the pond was very scenic and relaxing. the trail back down dunnfield creek was equally enjoyable.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Good

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Really enjoyable hike! I wish we were able to swim in the lake though.