Sunfish Pond via Appalachian Trail

Sunfish Pond via Appalachian Trail is a 7.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Delaware Water Gap, Pennsylvania that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This was a great trail! I was looking for something consistently uphill as a challenge but am not quite ready for something as substantial as a short, steep climb. The milage to the top was spread out enough that it felt like a workout without making me weary of my abilities. A rocky portion towards the top was a little annoying but I wouldn't call it difficult. The trail was very easy to follow and wide enough for the pup and my friend and I to walk side by side most of the time. It took us a little under 4 hours. I am eager to return when the trees and whatnot are not bare. I also feel like going around sunfish pond would have been a good addition to the trail. Overall a great hike with good views, and a consistent challenge without being overwhelming.

I would not rate this trail as hard but moderate. It was a bit rocky in some spots especially near the top but a good uphill climb. The pond was really beautiful and peaceful and worth the uphill trek. Views from the campsites on the left before you get to the pond we’re beautiful as well. The waterfalls at the beginning and the end were also nice to see and hear.

difficult hiking, but we always made it worth it with apple pie before we went home.

The last mile of the hike was very overgrown which was uncomfortable and annoying. Other than that, beautiful hike. It's not "expert" all the way through. Lots of it is fairly simple but there are a lot of areas with a ton of rocks you gotta walk through. Love the pond in the middle.

Sunday, May 07, 2017

Nicely maintained and less people than many hiking trails which is the great rather than okay eating.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Collado was here. Pond was fishy lmao..

Friday, February 10, 2017

Gorgeous.

Friday, October 28, 2016

Great hike. Water was plentiful. Well marked. Great time!

Monday, October 24, 2016

this was a hard hike but so worth it when you get to the top
very rocky coming down

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Great hike!

Friday, July 29, 2016

It was great

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

This was a satisfying hike. It was very vigorous, as we chose to go up and down the mountain twice. Despite how rocky it was, it was a good experience overall and I would recommend this trail.

Monday, July 11, 2016

Great! Would definitely come back

Monday, May 16, 2016

Will visit.

Wednesday, September 09, 2015

Did the Dunnfield to Sunfish Pond stretch of the AT going north on the New Jersey side of the Water Gap. Easy to moderate conditions-- with rocks being the reason for the moderate rating. Sunfish Pond is a registered National Natural Landmark. Beautiful spot. Good views to the north and west about a mile prior to the pond. Soft grassy campsites there with great views toward PA.

Wednesday, September 09, 2015

Great ascent from DWG southward on the AT to Mt Minsi. Steep climb over lots of rocks but an incredible work out with great views. Moderate to difficult terrain to climb. Camped overnight on top with some great Southern views and trekked back down to DWG the next day. Bring water as not much along the way. Good outdoor store in town of DWG .

Sunday, August 30, 2015

The noise from the highway wasn't great but it definitely was a great trail and views.

Sunday, May 24, 2015

I have done many portions of the Pa end of the AT. As I live between the Nj DWG and the Wind gap areas. I can say being a bigger fella. I did find portions of Wind Gap to Fox Gap. (191) to be a bit taxing on the ankles. Still love doing this when I want to just get away

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Many people warned me about the "boot shredding" rocks in PA, but when I got there it really wasn't that bad. The northernmost 40 miles are a little intense, but there is virtually no elevation loss/gain which helps. All in all PA is a pleasant ridge walk with few spectacular vistas but lots of beautiful wilderness to enjoy. I hear water and rattlesnakes can be an issue in the summer months so take that into consideration. It was October when I hiked through and I had 18 inches of snow dumped on me, a slightly different experience to say the least.

Thursday, March 08, 2012

Have done many miles of the App in PA back in the 90's in several trips. Can be rough going at times. A trail to be well geared for. Breathtaking vistas. Plenty of wildlife, just look out for mama bears with cubs. Some of the nicest hiking on the east coast. A bit of everything. Plenty of experience is suggested for this terrain.

Tuesday, November 08, 2011

I have hiked several different parts of the Appalachian Trail and each different part has something different to offer.

Friday, July 29, 2011

I have hiked variuous sections of this tral at different times. Mostly the sections closer to NJ. Different parts yield varying experiences and levels of difficulty.

Friday, March 11, 2011

love this trail,i am new to hiking and it was a challenge, but not too hard for a beginner!! beautiful view at the top!!!

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Very steep and rocky path. Some pass through fire roads along A/T. If you stay on A/T it is awesome. Plenty of spots to camp. We hiked south to Mt. Minsi than past Totts Gap about 2 miles to a nice ridge. Tough to pitch tents due to mountain being all rock. Kirkridge shelter is nearby if you need to refill water. Beautiful Views of Deleware river and surrounding area.