Sunfish Pond

Sunfish Pond is a 9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Stroud Township, Pennsylvania that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Great glacial pond, lots of wildlife, well maintained trail system This hike is a moderate climb to Sunfish Pond, following the Appalachian Trail heading north. The trail is well maintained and well used by dayhikers and overniters alike. The hike has a few strenuous climbs, but mostly evenly graded climbs with a few level areas in between. Follow the Dunnfield Hollow Trail down from Sunfish Pond to make it a loop. This trail does have some rather steep sections.

Beautiful, rewarding hike!

I completed this hike on Thursday 6/15 with my fiancé and a group of friends during our stay at Worthington State Forrest campground.

We began at the Garvey Springs Trail which is easily accessible from the northern end of the campground. The ascent up is a bit steep and may be strenuous for those who are not physically fit. Be sure to pack plenty of water, and snacks. Fortunately, after 1.2 miles we made a right on the AT which hugs the north western edge of Sunfish Pond. The glacial pond is tranquil and pristine. Take caution as this portion is quite rocky, and we stumbled upon 2 snakes. We found a spot near the pond to break for lunch and to our delight 3 AT thru-hikers past by and we offered them some snacks.

Continuing past the pond we linked up with the Douglas Trail, and stumbled upon yet another snake (northern black racer). The ascent down is just as beautiful with great views of the Kittatinny Ridge.

All around a pleasant and rewarding hike. Much more secluded with less traffic compared to popular Mt. Tammany. Challenging, yet relaxing. Some parts of the trail is quite narrow with much overgrowth so take care to wear long pants and use bug spray.

Happy Hiking!

A fairly average hike in terms of difficulty in the area, with some rewarding views around the lake. There is a trail that loops around the lake making a figure 8 shape of the entire hike's path that I would recommend.

this is a nice hike. Parking lot fills up fast so get there early. Additional parking across the highway. Very popular hike. Crowded on sunny weekends.

Great trail!

Hiked up the AT to Sunfish Pond and around to the turquoise trail to Sunfish Pond Fire road. From there I hit the Dunnfield Creek trail. As I came down that's when I should have called it a day but I felt good so I headed up the blue dot trail. It was damn challenging after already doing nine miles. The views at the top were amazing but I'm paying for it now with some pain in my knee. I'd recommend doing the red dot and blue dot trails first and then head up to Sunfish Pond. Think that would be easier on the knees.