Stony Mountain Lookout Tower via Rattling Run Trail

Stony Mountain Lookout Tower via Rattling Run Trail is a 10.8 mile out and back trail located near Dauphin, Pennsylvania that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking.

Rating the tower, not so much the trail. We took the H. Knauber and did some trailblazing to get to this spot instead.

I would rate this trail on the lowest setting for moderate intensity. Nothing too difficult, only a few decent climbs in the beginning. Trail levels off remainder of journey. Not a real trail, more so a service road. One part is somewhat overgrown, as in shin-high grass with brush on the side. In retrospect, I can only assume the moderate intensity is due to length, which isn’t long at all. Overall, it took nigh three hours to complete, and that was milking it.

I did this hike solo today, and it was very tranquil. It had rained earlier/last night and the cool weather deterred pretty much every single flying insect. There's not too much to look at on the way to the tower, it's a gravel path for the majority of it. I did see a black bear on the path as well as some mountain lion tracks (they were fresh). I let the bear wander off for a bit, before I continued moving again. Fortunately, I was downwind, so I didn't have much to worry about.

The tower itself had an amazing view, despite the low fog in the valley. But, if you don't like heights or get a little uneasy because the platform flexes underneath your weight, you probably don't want to climb the tower. (But I promise it's stable and worth it.)

Gravel road most if the way. More like a path than a trail but a decent walk and not too difficult.

I decided to make it a loop by riding down to water tank trail and taking that up rattle run and back down. If you decide to do that, make sure you have the proper footwear, because it gets extremely steep with loose rocks and logs. Plus, you have to carry the bike for 90% of water tank trail, which I was not expecting. Easy ride down after that though.

Sunday, May 08, 2016