South Mountain - Orange Trail

South Mountain - Orange Trail is a 3.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Emmaus, Pennsylvania that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Hiked this trail today for the first time. Spent about 3 hours. Started at the Alpine street park. it's a nice size lot holding maybe 18 cars, but by the time I returned it was full and several cars had to park on the street. From parking lot hiked orange to blue, to yellow looping back to blue (to walk a section previously hiked) to red (follows the ridge back) and brings to just above the popular large boulder formation where you pick up orange again to return you to the lot. Very well blazed besides a few head scratching sections near the power lines. A mix of mostly hikers with a few mountain bikers.

This was a great trail/hike! The fall colors were beautiful, huge rock formations, uphills, downhills, small creek crossings, and several more connecting trails to explore. My dogs and I will come back again for sure!

Very technical mountain bike trails. Built by local riders for hikers and riders. Lots of great rock features and most fallen trees are left in place. Can ride up to 12 miles if you can find the tunnel under Interstate 78 and include the Cistern Park trail system.

It's a really scenic hike with enough rocky and narrow parts to make it challenging in a fun way. There isn't a ton of things to look at, but there's a few large rocks about halfway thought that are fun to climb or at least sit on for a break. There's also a stream with a wooden bridge over which I found kind of neat. The markings were easy to follow despite the orange trail crossing paths with other trails.

The orange trail was nice and well marked, however, I got off track when trying to do the red and blue trails. Luckily getting lost is certainly not a matter or life and death since you are in the middle of a city! I came upon route 309 and I knew I was off track and back tracked my way back to the orange trail. Still a great afternoon and I will return to figure out the other trails another day.

Fun challenging hike. Pretty rocky spots that make it difficult enough to be fun but not too hard. I wouldn't try it on a bike.

Close by, beautiful trails.

This place is GORGEOUS! If I have only know it was here for years. Took the orange trail and the beginning looked like a rainforest with the Rodale Run. Nice and easy hike but so much to look at...a Wonder in the middle of emmaus.

Great trail and loved the hike up the orange trail and into the blue followed by some red. The kids even enjoyed the hike. It was perfect for our first hike.

not much of a view of anything but still a nice peaceful trail

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Went jogging with snow covered on the ground, it was a bit muddy and damp at the lower portions. It was fun with the quick inclines and declines on the Orange trail. Very refreshing and easy to follow markings.

Monday, February 27, 2017

Quality trails friendly people. Nice views in winter. If you only hike the orange trail it's 2 miles. Add other loops to increase​ distance. Recorded track looks like hikers added Red Loop.

Saturday, February 18, 2017

Started at the Alpine street entrance and took the orange trail to the blue trail, blue to the red, and then red back to the orange trail. We logged about 4 miles total. There wasn't too much elevation gain. It took us approximately 2 hours. Overall, it was a very nice hike.

Monday, January 16, 2017

Enjoyable narrow ranged switchbacks and mountain terrain

Wednesday, January 04, 2017

Started at the Robert Rodale Gateway trail at the parking lot on Klines Rd and then picked up the orange trail. It had just rained the past two days so the trail was muddy/wet which made some of the rocks/wooden structures a bit slippery. The trail is designed for mountain bikes but I had no issues hiking it with my two dogs. Overall great little hike and I look forward to going back to explore some of the other trails that branch off of it.

Monday, January 02, 2017

My fiance lives in Emmaus and when I visit I really enjoy hiking this trail. Fine to do in shorts and sneakers. Really a nice peaceful walk

Saturday, November 12, 2016

very nice trail on a cool crisp morning

Friday, November 04, 2016

I work two jobs and have a 3 1/2 hour break between jobs. so I look for someway to take time. thought I would try this trail it's peaceful if you like solitude it's excellent. the highlight of this trail I think is the boulder outcrop.

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Great trail, there is multiple loops to choose from. Cool switchbacks up and down the mountain. Trails are easily marked and exciting. Enter from Alpine street, there will be a small park on the left to park at.

Monday, September 12, 2016

First time on this trail. The trail as it appears on the map does include the Red, then Light Blue, and a little bit of Orange, then back to Red trails. A bit confusing if you have never been on this trail system.
I would advise wearing good sturdy shoes like hiking boots because of the mixed terrains of rocks, roots, and boulders.
This was a fun trail system with many options so your hike could be as long or short, easy or hard as you want to make it.

Thursday, September 08, 2016

lots of varied terrain. cool spring to splash your feet in as well. neat boulders to explore. close to home.

Thursday, September 08, 2016

It was fantastic..enjoyed the day .,could of used a little more shade walking but it was a fantastic day !

Monday, August 22, 2016

This was a really nice and surprising hike. Loved it!

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Really nice hike, close to the Highway making it very convenient.

Sunday, July 24, 2016

it was a well blazed trail. I took my puppy along he did very well also. I started on the orange trail then switched to the green trail. we ended up coming out at another part of the park, a couple of blocks away from where we stated. I liked it will be going back again.

Monday, July 18, 2016

Very challenging and diverse set of trails. Map found online (uploaded to pictures section) is accurate and the trails themselves are very well blazed. Did the orange to light blue to red and back to orange loop which was about 4 miles. Will add yellow and light purple sections next time out to lengthen hike. Will be back! Enjoy!!

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Nice trail. Narrow trail part of the way so need to move over when passing with other hikers/bikers. Boulder outcropping on the orange trail was cool but short. In hindsight I would probably go back and loop into the red trail and give that a try.

Thursday, July 07, 2016

i like it because it has lots of puddles and creeks with frogs deer and butterflys also lots of different birds and its a good hike

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Diverse terrain with some great rocky parts. There is an orange trail, but that alone is about 1.5 miles. There is also blue/red/green trails that branch off the orange trail. A lot of mountain bikers. If you are hiking be prepared to stand on the side of the trail several times to let bikers pass by. Very nice place!

Friday, June 24, 2016

Excellent hiking & mountain biking trail! On the more challenging side for mountain biking due to some rocky sections. Other than the rocky sections I'd say it was a moderately difficult trail to ride. Some decent climbing and down hill runs. Although a short trail, fun non the less!