South Mountain - Orange Trail

South Mountain - Orange Trail is a 3.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Emmaus, Pennsylvania that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

It's a really scenic hike with enough rocky and narrow parts to make it challenging in a fun way. There isn't a ton of things to look at, but there's a few large rocks about halfway thought that are fun to climb or at least sit on for a break. There's also a stream with a wooden bridge over which I found kind of neat. The markings were easy to follow despite the orange trail crossing paths with other trails.

The orange trail was nice and well marked, however, I got off track when trying to do the red and blue trails. Luckily getting lost is certainly not a matter or life and death since you are in the middle of a city! I came upon route 309 and I knew I was off track and back tracked my way back to the orange trail. Still a great afternoon and I will return to figure out the other trails another day.

Fun challenging hike. Pretty rocky spots that make it difficult enough to be fun but not too hard. I wouldn't try it on a bike.

Close by, beautiful trails.