South Mountain - Orange Trail is a 3.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Emmaus, Pennsylvania that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Nice trail - moderate difficulty, nice variation in terrain. Our 7 and 9 year old were pretty tired after doing the large orange loop in 2h 20m. We parked at the Alpine St lot - we got the last spot at 10am on a Sunday, but there's plenty of street parking if you need. Trails are well marked, but Alltrails with GPS definitely helps - we didn't have to double back once. Not much in the way of views except when you reach the powerlines, but lots of nice rock formations, streams and wildlife.

Love this trail!!

Well marked trail with much to see. Downloading a map would be a good idea as there are a lot of options. The boulders are awesome. Today was muddy due to all the rain.

Rivals the outer loop at Trexler Preserve as the best hike in the immediate Lehigh Valley area. Mix and match various loops to suit your schedule and energy level. Provides a welcome escape from urban noise and traffic ten minutes from Allentown. Use is light, though not sparse. Expect encounters with friendly mountain bikers. Especially nice in the late afternoon/early evening.

perfect little local trail

Very nice trail, and easy to moderate hike. The orange loop was only 1.7 miles as indicated by the map at the site. The trail was well maintained, got into some deep woods, even seeing a wood thrush on her nest not far from the trail. Only downsides were you could hear a shooting range nearby, and consistent highway sounds, if that's the sort of thing that bothers you. At mid morning on a Saturday we ran into several people, but the trail was by no means crowded. Google maps first took us to a residential street as a place to park (talked to a resident who said that gets annoying), but there's a convenient parking lot at the end of Alpine street.

Excellent trail. Heavily wooded, a really fun place to run. Pretty easy to follow the courses, some of the forks should be marked better but I found the way without having to double back. There are some obstacles on the path, manageable rocks and tree trunks to run over, but that is exactly what I am looking for in a more technical trial run.

not well marked or maintained. fallen trees blocking the paths.

Fun little trail. Did it two days in a row for a walk with the pup. Lower portion is narrow and slightly overgrown (not horrible though) and the back elevated portion is wider and more open. Neat to see the large boulder outcropping. Didn’t venture back the red or blue trails but will next time. Pup loved the spring fed stream. Nice to have a quick little loop trail so close to home.

we really enjoyed our hike here!!

beautiful hike

Great time with the family. The only trail we could not figure out was the orange trail return loop. Good trail to get the legs warmed up.

Had a great time with my husband on a beautiful day!❤️

It was so pretty! My friend and I drove up here to take some photos and it was raining. I definitely don't recommend wearing shoes you like if it's wet outside on this trail, the entire lower half of the path turns to mud.

Great trail! Close to my house so I can ride my bike there and back. It’s great fun for avid mountain bikers or any hiker. Lots of rocky features and smaller jumps and drops. From the bottom it starts easier and gets more difficult the higher up you get. Overall lots of fun, great practice, technical climbs and fun fast descends.

Hiked this trail today for the first time. Spent about 3 hours. Started at the Alpine street park. it's a nice size lot holding maybe 18 cars, but by the time I returned it was full and several cars had to park on the street. From parking lot hiked orange to blue, to yellow looping back to blue (to walk a section previously hiked) to red (follows the ridge back) and brings to just above the popular large boulder formation where you pick up orange again to return you to the lot. Very well blazed besides a few head scratching sections near the power lines. A mix of mostly hikers with a few mountain bikers.

Wednesday, November 08, 2017

This was a great trail/hike! The fall colors were beautiful, huge rock formations, uphills, downhills, small creek crossings, and several more connecting trails to explore. My dogs and I will come back again for sure!

Monday, October 09, 2017

Very technical mountain bike trails. Built by local riders for hikers and riders. Lots of great rock features and most fallen trees are left in place. Can ride up to 12 miles if you can find the tunnel under Interstate 78 and include the Cistern Park trail system.

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Popular destination so you won’t be alone on trail. Nice afternoon hike. Watch out for horseflies.

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

It's a really scenic hike with enough rocky and narrow parts to make it challenging in a fun way. There isn't a ton of things to look at, but there's a few large rocks about halfway thought that are fun to climb or at least sit on for a break. There's also a stream with a wooden bridge over which I found kind of neat. The markings were easy to follow despite the orange trail crossing paths with other trails.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

The orange trail was nice and well marked, however, I got off track when trying to do the red and blue trails. Luckily getting lost is certainly not a matter or life and death since you are in the middle of a city! I came upon route 309 and I knew I was off track and back tracked my way back to the orange trail. Still a great afternoon and I will return to figure out the other trails another day.

Saturday, June 17, 2017

Fun challenging hike. Pretty rocky spots that make it difficult enough to be fun but not too hard. I wouldn't try it on a bike.

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Close by, beautiful trails.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

This place is GORGEOUS! If I have only know it was here for years. Took the orange trail and the beginning looked like a rainforest with the Rodale Run. Nice and easy hike but so much to look at...a Wonder in the middle of emmaus.

Monday, May 22, 2017

Great trail and loved the hike up the orange trail and into the blue followed by some red. The kids even enjoyed the hike. It was perfect for our first hike.

Saturday, April 29, 2017

not much of a view of anything but still a nice peaceful trail

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Went jogging with snow covered on the ground, it was a bit muddy and damp at the lower portions. It was fun with the quick inclines and declines on the Orange trail. Very refreshing and easy to follow markings.

Monday, February 27, 2017

Quality trails friendly people. Nice views in winter. If you only hike the orange trail it's 2 miles. Add other loops to increase​ distance. Recorded track looks like hikers added Red Loop.

Saturday, February 18, 2017

Started at the Alpine street entrance and took the orange trail to the blue trail, blue to the red, and then red back to the orange trail. We logged about 4 miles total. There wasn't too much elevation gain. It took us approximately 2 hours. Overall, it was a very nice hike.

Monday, January 16, 2017

Enjoyable narrow ranged switchbacks and mountain terrain