Slippery Rock Gorge Trail

Slippery Rock Gorge Trail is a 14.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Slippery Rock Township, Pennsylvania that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The trail is a 6.2 mile point to point trail located near Slippery Rock Township, Pennsylvania. It is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen. The trail is primarily used for hiking & rock climbing and is accessible from March until November. Dogs must be kept on leash.

This is a very strenuous challenge. Along the river was beautiful. Some of the small waterfalls were pretty. We went when the trail was snow covered in the morning & it warmed up to mid 40’s. Parts were extremely muddy & other parts were snow covered with ice underneath & very slick. I’m glad we did it but I would definitely wait for good weather. Lots of scrambling over rocks along the river. Prepare, plan ahead if you do the entire trail. It’s a long haul. I only recorded the second half on the way back from the bridge. Ended up being 12 miles & took us a total of 6 hours & 15 minutes of moving time.

Great hike.. be sure to check out the falls! They are beautiful. This hike has a lot of hills and at some spots the path is alil rocky and a narrow! I will be doing that hike again!

This is a gorgeous trail, and the sight and sound of the Slippery Rock Creek is wonderful. I would agree with the rating of difficult even though the climbing was only moderately hard. The terrain is very rough; you are dealing with constant rocks and roots and in November at least, slippery and muddy spots. I went only 9.5 miles total in and back, but due to bad knees and a herniated disk in my back, I was struggling the last couple of miles! Took me 5 hours to go from the Mill to almost Hell’s Run and back again. Highly recommended for more serious hikers.

I very nice hike. At times it was demanding, with some long climbs! This definitely was a moderate to hard hike for me-just like I like them! Beauty all around and well taken care of. Only got in 8.5 miles, but will do it again soon!!!

Enjoyed the sights and sounds along the trail !

We hiked this trail as an out and back. It's is on the difficult side but not terrible. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time. It has some elevation changes but they are manageable with the switchbacks built into the trail. This trail is very well maintained. I was very impressed. You can hear slippery rock creek throughout the majority of this trail. This is part of the north country trail.

Beautiful, nice to hear the water. Hiking is strenuous, with rocks and roots and a few rough elevations.

This hike took my wife, 2 dogs, and I just over 5 hours to complete. So excellent views of the river, that are perfect for taking pictures with our pups. Not overly strenuous, but the elevation does come in bunches.

Gorgeous hike along the river. Nice and cool in the gorge. Challenging and well marked trail.

Carried my 18 month old to the falls and then a mile up the main trail(just over 3 miles total). Trail to the falls was pretty easy and GORGEOUS. Especially the end destination. The main trail was much harder for me, a newer hiker with an extra 35lbs on my back :) but I will definitely be back to take the main trail farther than the 1 mile in I went.

We took a trail off of Armstrong road and it was the scariest thing ever but fun! Would not do that specific unofficial trail again though because of the danger. once we got to the Hell waterfall and went along the marked trail we had a blast ! only thing that brought us down was the endless mud but that's nature !

Muddy at times, but a great hike!

Amazing views!! great workout all the way through. take a right off the path down to a gorgeous waterfall and opening to the river about 4miles in. Hells Hallow falls was pretty, too. my dog loved every bit of it and so did I! I'll definitely be back and finish all the way to the Mills. Give yourself the majority of the day as it is an out and back hike.

The trail starts out pretty easy but gets more challenging the farther you go. I did this with my dog and he handled pretty well. Some of the sections are no wider than him and resembles more of a goat path than a trail. I would recommend this trail to anyone who is getting ready to do a overnight backpacking trip. It will definitely get you conditioned for a rigorous hike

This trail was great and most of all absolutely beautiful! The terrain can get a little rough at times with all the rocks but it's definitely well worth the 15 mile hike. I recommend starting at Alpha Pass too.

awesome hiking! great views, and my dog loved the streams and waterfalls. Less traffic in the morning but got a bit busy in the afternoon. Didn't get to finish all the way to the Mills but can't wait to return!

Awesome trail. Did it today with my dog. The trail is 6.2 miles one way, so 12.4 out and back. But it was 1.2 miles to the trailhead from where I parked plus I hiked a little extra at the end to see the waterfalls. Don't miss those. They are awesome. I sat on a bench by the falls and had lunch before hiking back. So it ended up being 15.2 miles total. I thought it was a great hike. Very rugged, natural trail with lots of rocks and roots. Also was very muddy. Plus you're hiking along the river the whole trail which is nice. Something about the sound of a flowing river that is so peaceful and relaxing. Very hilly. You're going up and down a lot of hills. Definitely watch your step. A lot of slippery spots. Good warmup for the North Fork Mountain Trail in Seneca Rocks, WV which I'm doing next week.

Recent residents of Pittsburgh. We've been looking for hikes with water and this one really hit the spot! We went out 4 miles from McConnell Mills parking area. It's about 1 mile to the beginning of the this trail. All along the water for a mile. It's fantastic! Our dog had a blast jumping in the water and chasing wildlife.

Great trail. Beautiful scenery throughout the entire trail with several small waterfalls, large valleys and rivers and creeks. The trail is mostly shaded with thick tree cover. Very limited cell reception so don't count on using phones over the course of the hike. The trail has relatively few flat portions with the majority of the trail featuring steep inclines and declines. I would suggest bringing hiking boots rather than shoes, several portions of the trail had 3 to 4 inches of mud covering the trail. There are several areas to dip your feet in the water but I wouldn't count on swimming, currents were very quick and could lead to very dangerous swimming conditions. I would rate this trail moderate to difficult depending upon the amount of mud on the trail. The trail is well maintained and well marked throughout. Took about 7 hours to complete the out and back with some cramping and muddy conditions.