Slippery Rock Gorge Trail

Slippery Rock Gorge Trail is a 11.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Slippery Rock Township, Pennsylvania that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The trail is a 6.2 mile point to point trail located near Slippery Rock Township, Pennsylvania. It is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen. The trail is primarily used for hiking & rock climbing and is accessible from March until November. Dogs must be kept on leash.

Amazing views!! great workout all the way through. take a right off the path down to a gorgeous waterfall and opening to the river about 4miles in. Hells Hallow falls was pretty, too. my dog loved every bit of it and so did I! I'll definitely be back and finish all the way to the Mills. Give yourself the majority of the day as it is an out and back hike.

The trail starts out pretty easy but gets more challenging the farther you go. I did this with my dog and he handled pretty well. Some of the sections are no wider than him and resembles more of a goat path than a trail. I would recommend this trail to anyone who is getting ready to do a overnight backpacking trip. It will definitely get you conditioned for a rigorous hike

This trail was great and most of all absolutely beautiful! The terrain can get a little rough at times with all the rocks but it's definitely well worth the 15 mile hike. I recommend starting at Alpha Pass too.

awesome hiking! great views, and my dog loved the streams and waterfalls. Less traffic in the morning but got a bit busy in the afternoon. Didn't get to finish all the way to the Mills but can't wait to return!

Awesome trail. Did it today with my dog. The trail is 6.2 miles one way, so 12.4 out and back. But it was 1.2 miles to the trailhead from where I parked plus I hiked a little extra at the end to see the waterfalls. Don't miss those. They are awesome. I sat on a bench by the falls and had lunch before hiking back. So it ended up being 15.2 miles total. I thought it was a great hike. Very rugged, natural trail with lots of rocks and roots. Also was very muddy. Plus you're hiking along the river the whole trail which is nice. Something about the sound of a flowing river that is so peaceful and relaxing. Very hilly. You're going up and down a lot of hills. Definitely watch your step. A lot of slippery spots. Good warmup for the North Fork Mountain Trail in Seneca Rocks, WV which I'm doing next week.

Recent residents of Pittsburgh. We've been looking for hikes with water and this one really hit the spot! We went out 4 miles from McConnell Mills parking area. It's about 1 mile to the beginning of the this trail. All along the water for a mile. It's fantastic! Our dog had a blast jumping in the water and chasing wildlife.

Great trail. Beautiful scenery throughout the entire trail with several small waterfalls, large valleys and rivers and creeks. The trail is mostly shaded with thick tree cover. Very limited cell reception so don't count on using phones over the course of the hike. The trail has relatively few flat portions with the majority of the trail featuring steep inclines and declines. I would suggest bringing hiking boots rather than shoes, several portions of the trail had 3 to 4 inches of mud covering the trail. There are several areas to dip your feet in the water but I wouldn't count on swimming, currents were very quick and could lead to very dangerous swimming conditions. I would rate this trail moderate to difficult depending upon the amount of mud on the trail. The trail is well maintained and well marked throughout. Took about 7 hours to complete the out and back with some cramping and muddy conditions.

I LOVE this trail. As a previous reviewer mentioned, hiking is relative. I didn't consider this trail to be difficult, but I can see why a beginner would. This area affords you with wildlife to continually keep it interesting. I like to stop to take in a few areas:

1. The three trunk tree. You can easily miss it, but if you find it and take advantage of resting - you will love it as much as I do.

2. The area where the trail branches off by the water. It's salamander country - which for me is Heaven. Enjoy lunch on the rocks.

This is a trail where you can just breathe and take in what nature gives to us so unselfishly. Enjoy!

For experienced hikers this trail maybe classified as moderate, but for novice hikers I'd consider it difficult. The North Country Trail is a National Scenic Trail and has adopted the Slippery Rock Gorge Trail thru this area. You can distinguish the NCT by the blue blazing on the trees. The NCT in its entirety goes from North Dakota to Vermont and is over 4,400 miles long.

Because hiking is relative, depends on where you come from and where you've been, I personally wouldn't say this trail is difficult, but it gets the heart going. I did 13.2 miles in 5.5 hours (for reference to difficulty and time commitment)
For this part of the country, this trail offers a great combination of distance and elevation! The only thing that kept it from being a true 5-star-experience is that I saw 5 snakes- two large ones.

But other than that, it's beautiful, along the water. The falls are on a .8 mi detour from the path but I definitely suggest doing the whole thing. Watch out for snakes and bring bug spray! Happy hiking!!