Skippack Circle Loop Trail

Skippack Circle Loop Trail is a 4.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Norristown, Pennsylvania that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Collegeville, PA: Follow Germantown Pike south. Immediately after crossing the Perkiomen Creek, turn right onto Ridge Pike Road. Travel through the park property and turn left onto Grange Avenue. Take your first left onto Mill Road. Follow it to the first parking area. Skippack Circle Loop Trail begins along side the creek.

Didn't like the areas which were on the street. Good hike though.

Hiked today. Fairly easy to follow the yellow blazes - if in doubt head towards the creek. But was muddy on the SW side where all the horses had churned up the trail.

Not well marked at all... I got confused several spots. Was not easy to figure out where the trail is. From the parking lot, I went on the left hand side to start the loop, and the trail is beyond muddy, it is cakey mud... very slippery. The one good thing, going on the LHS from the parking lot, you get to play in the water... My dog loved it... if you take the right hand side, is not muddy at all, but since this is a loop, you will eventually come back to the mud... I will not go back due to the ill marked and not well maintained trails.

This says dogs must be on leash but all I see in the pictures is dogs off leash??

Loved this trail! Being along the creek made the experience more special. There are areas that feel like walking through a fairy garden. A good balance of flat terrain with moderate climbing. Narrow path for most of the trail. There were piles of manure but they weren’t offensive. It did not detract from the experience at all. There are a good deal of exposed roots so you have to pay attention to your footing. This is hiking, not an easy stroll in the park. Be prepared for muddy areas with the natural springs that feed into Skippack Creek. There are bridges that cross the wider parts of the creek if you’re doing the full 4.7 loop. Trail is fairly well marked.

a fun little trail to get a few miles in to stay in practice. can be very muddy in parts due to horse traffic. with that traffic also comes horse land mines. hunt in is allowed in some sections, so wear Orange.

easy hike, good way to get away for an hour or two

Brought my dog and we loved this trail! Definitely not the best marked (totally think we went on the horse trail at the beginning) but we made it thanks to some local hikers that do this hike every week. I definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a long hike but an easy one

Very poorly marked! Ended up quite a walk on busy road but fortunately I had my "map my walk" app on so it got us to our car. Glad it was a beautiful day ! Got my steps in!

A really great hike to get your heart rate up for a fantastic work out. The only issue I had was the fact that parts of the trail were not clearly marked, so I ended up finding myself walking along the horse trail. There was some horse poop, but since it’s Autumn, a lot of it is covered by leaves/decomposing. I wish the parts of the trail that split from the horse friendly parts were more clearly marked. (White dots.)

HOLY HORSE POOP!!! I enjoyed the company I was with, but that was it! This trail was AWFUL ! The trail is marked as multi-use...which is fine, horses DESTROYED this trail!! My friend and I hardly saw anything because our eyes were glued to the ground the entire time because of all of the horse poop and mud from the torn up patches of "path" from the horse activity. I'm all for sharing trails with dogs, bikers, runners, ect, but these horses completely ruined this trail. I'm shocked that it is even marked for hikers to use at all. Even the people on the horses were rude and inconsiderate. When they were coming up to you, you had to trample through mud and poop, and squeeze next to a tree until they passed at their own slow pace. I will definitely NOT GO BACK to this trail or hike any other trail at this park where horses are permitted to go. I will have to do some research and find some trails for HIKERS ONLY because it is a beautiful park, but this was a miserable experience because of the condition the horses left this trail in.

I started from the Old Farmstead which would be at the very end of the second of the three parking sections on your right as you drive in. The trail from the farmstead to the loop is not well documented on the map, so it was a bit confusing. Once arriving at the loop I took a left, heading east/north, and it was a pleasant enough walk until...the areas I encountered were so destroyed by horses that it was not passable without sinking fairly deep into mud. I do not wear knee high boots, so I literally had to turn around and go back.

What really pisses me off is that as a mountain biker, we have always been chastised by municipalities and park authorities about how mountain biking destroys trails and consequently mountain bikes have been prohibited on most trails in most parks in the area. Yet the truth is the most mountain bikers are very sensitive to trail conditions and often volunteer to help maintain them. Mountain bikes could not possibly do the damage that these equestrians do, but because they have the money and influence, they get to continue to destroy these trails such that hikers cannot use them.

oo

Beautiful setting, but about half the trail length was very torn up by horses and was very muddy. Also, this trail has significantly more poison ivy than most others in the area making it very kid unfriendly.

Torn up by horses and very boring. Several trails shown on the map did not exist. Poorly marked. Not recommended on foot

Monday, June 19, 2017

Difficult to navigate since it's really poorly marked.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Beautiful area & occasionally challenging trail. My one complaint is that it's poorly marked which is particularly troublesome at turns and intersections along the way; despite having a map, that isn't very easy to follow, I got off track several times & became concerned that I was headed in the wrong direction.
The addition of blazes would make this an ideal trail. Be prepared to get muddy if there's been rain or on the spring, some sections were soggy.

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Just had bilateral knee replacement surgery 4.5 months ago. The "Loop" took me 2.5 hours to finish, a bit sore and swollen but great morning of rehab!

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

If not for the part where you walk on road this would be a 5 star trail.

Saturday, November 26, 2016

Not well marked at all. I'm an avid trailer and got lost twice the first time around. Luckily, other hikers were very helpful. An absolutely beautiful trail once you find your way.

Monday, November 14, 2016

Not well marked at all!

Monday, October 31, 2016

Came here with great company and has a blast. The trails were moderate, but were a ton of fun due to the small footing challenge.
There was a whole lot of horses all over the trails back in Evansburg.
The water appeared very clear and the dog had a blast putting her feet into the water.
Unfortunately, the camera had lost battery so we were unable to take any pictures...we will have to go back again because the park was stunning.

Friday, October 21, 2016

not well marked later in the trail, easy to less moderate difficulty, varied terrain, lots of guns shots on Saturday am, more popular later in the day.

Sunday, August 28, 2016

really pretty trail but at times was not well marked.

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Very pretty and relatively easy hike. Was NOT well marked at all which was frustrating.

Thursday, July 21, 2016

This is a great trail that can be added on to using a variety of additional hiking and horseback trails within the park. I would not rate this trail as easy but rather as moderate as there are several decent up and downs on both the north and south side of the creek. Plus the footing on much of the trail is dodgy (loose rocks, roots, wet areas, drop offs, etc.) and will force you to pay attention to your footwork. Since parts of the loops are shared by horseback riders it can get pretty chopped up and muddy especially after a storm. Very happy to have this park and trail system just a few miles from my house.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Great nature hike with different sights and terrain. We love coming here with our dogs on weekends. Some of the trails aren't marked well but they are well maintained!

The biggest issues are the horse weekends when it's hard to walk with dogs because there are so many horses on the trails and occasionally people let their dogs off the leash. The policy of the park is that horses stick to their own trails (they normally do) and dogs are on a leash (most are off the leash). Many times we have had to take our dogs off the main trail while other people leash up their dogs, which is annoying and disrespectful to others. The Park Rangers should address this.

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Good trail, well maintained. A lot of sections are shared with horses which means tons of horse poop on the trail. Watch your step! Good access to the creek and the dogs loved splashing around and cooling off.

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Beautiful area with access to river along the skippack trail. The 5 mile loop is not marked well and we needed to double back in a few sections. This app was a great help.

Saturday, May 21, 2016

We like this trail very much! The northern section to the east of the river is the best section for views and wildlife. The kids and I walk this one every weekend. Kudos to the parks maintenance team ! Evens burg park is where we park to walk the loop, they do a great job.