Skippack Circle Loop Trail

Skippack Circle Loop Trail is a 4.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Norristown, Pennsylvania that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, horses, and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Collegeville, PA: Follow Germantown Pike south. Immediately after crossing the Perkiomen Creek, turn right onto Ridge Pike Road. Travel through the park property and turn left onto Grange Avenue. Take your first left onto Mill Road. Follow it to the first parking area. Skippack Circle Loop Trail begins along side the creek.

A really great hike to get your heart rate up for a fantastic work out. The only issue I had was the fact that parts of the trail were not clearly marked, so I ended up finding myself walking along the horse trail. There was some horse poop, but since it’s Autumn, a lot of it is covered by leaves/decomposing. I wish the parts of the trail that split from the horse friendly parts were more clearly marked. (White dots.)

HOLY HORSE POOP!!! I enjoyed the company I was with, but that was it! This trail was AWFUL ! The trail is marked as multi-use...which is fine, horses DESTROYED this trail!! My friend and I hardly saw anything because our eyes were glued to the ground the entire time because of all of the horse poop and mud from the torn up patches of "path" from the horse activity. I'm all for sharing trails with dogs, bikers, runners, ect, but these horses completely ruined this trail. I'm shocked that it is even marked for hikers to use at all. Even the people on the horses were rude and inconsiderate. When they were coming up to you, you had to trample through mud and poop, and squeeze next to a tree until they passed at their own slow pace. I will definitely NOT GO BACK to this trail or hike any other trail at this park where horses are permitted to go. I will have to do some research and find some trails for HIKERS ONLY because it is a beautiful park, but this was a miserable experience because of the condition the horses left this trail in.

I started from the Old Farmstead which would be at the very end of the second of the three parking sections on your right as you drive in. The trail from the farmstead to the loop is not well documented on the map, so it was a bit confusing. Once arriving at the loop I took a left, heading east/north, and it was a pleasant enough walk until...the areas I encountered were so destroyed by horses that it was not passable without sinking fairly deep into mud. I do not wear knee high boots, so I literally had to turn around and go back.

What really pisses me off is that as a mountain biker, we have always been chastised by municipalities and park authorities about how mountain biking destroys trails and consequently mountain bikes have been prohibited on most trails in most parks in the area. Yet the truth is the most mountain bikers are very sensitive to trail conditions and often volunteer to help maintain them. Mountain bikes could not possibly do the damage that these equestrians do, but because they have the money and influence, they get to continue to destroy these trails such that hikers cannot use them.