Sheriff Trail is a 4.7 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Newville, Pennsylvania that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.7 km Elevation Gain: 61 m Route Type: Out & Back

Didn’t realize I had to cross the rushing creek at almost the start of the trail and the rushing water was too deep to walk through with my dog when the temps aren’t too warm yet. So we crossed on a log a little further up the creek which has water flowing over part of it with a deep pool on either side. The dog managed to cross on the log too and neither of us fell in. Nice path except for several swampy parts and lots of fallen trees blocking the way. We turned around after a mile as there was a nice little creek and on the other side was very thick fallen trees and brush and I didn’t feel like getting scratched up and it was remote and a little creepy by myself. Pretty and nice water tho

Nice scenic trail along the stream. Be warned, there was a spot early on after the start of the trail where the trail crosses the stream (right by a campsite). There is no bridge or enough large rocks to cross without walking in the water. There are some large trees down across, but one part of a tree toward the other side got too thin and was really slippery...also right above the deepest part. Ended up just walking across the shallow part of stream rather than chancing a fall and getting my entire legs wet (darn cold with flurries most of the day). I would recommend starting on other side of the Frank E. Masland Natural Area and doing the North Branch Trail down which follows almost entirely along the stream with many nice spots to stop by the river. I found the stream to be much more scenic along that stretch than Sheriff Trail.

Tue Sep 25 2018