Shades of Death Trail

Shades of Death Trail is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Harmony, Pennsylvania that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

A beautiful walk along a stream in a rhodedendron forest This is a personal favorite, you will walk along a stream through a beautiful forest then towards the end enter some rocky areas. The Hickory Run State Park has a National Natural Landmark in the boulder field and there are some Geocaches in the park

Beautiful trail and a fairly easy march for my wife and I as well as our kids aged 6,8,10,12,14, and 16. Stay off the flat rocks before the second dam. They were a little slick. I fell hard and broke my shoulder. Completely on me... Learn from my mistake.

Nice trail with a great variety of things to look at and picturesque spots.

A bit steeper than we expected, but a beautiful trail.

My boyfriend & I camped at Hickory Run State Park and decided to walk over and check out ‘Shades of Death’.
I’m glad we did. This was a nice, mostly shaded trail with several scenic water areas.

Great fun. Interesting and challenging. Great falls and sights. Loved it.

Easy out and back 1 mile each way. A little rocky and plenty of tree roots which is normal for northeastern PA. Beautiful waterfall and runs along the stream. Be careful not to let your phone fall into the stream!

Beautiful scenic trail and very well marked!
Loved the waterfall!

My five and eight year old kids did well on this trail. It's a really cool hike with a lot of scenery! It took about 2 hours overall and we clocked 3.44 miles from start to finish. We did this in the rain and it was still beautiful and worth the time! This is one of the best hikes we have done as a family!

Beautiful scenery. Well worth the hike. There are some muddy areas and can be very rocky at times. The trail is clearly marked and could be used by all hiking levels; you just may have to take your time on some of the rocks and inclines. The waterfalls though are amazing!!!! My dog did very well here too.

Awesome trail. I wouldn’t say it’s easy but then again I hiked it while pregnant. Beautiful waterfalls throughout the trail. Highly recommend.

Recommended. The trail is very wet. More than the Falls Trail at Rickets Glen. Very scenic though and pretty short. Great for kids.

Beautiful trail, easy to follow, lovely waterfalls

A great trail not far from home. In my opinion the most scenic trail in Hickory Run State Park. Don t let the name intimidate you, A great short hike if you are in the area.

Easy and beautiful trail. Well kept.

Easy trail. Clearly marked with yellow blaze.

It was nice. Creek is beautiful. Little to easy though for my liking. The scenery and setting really feels like Hobbit land. Lot of mossy rocks and paths. Cool waterfalls along the way.

beautiful! want to go back when rhododendrum are in bloom!

Beautiful waterfalls and lots of pinecones. I'd definitely go back.

Short but oh so sweet

Had a nice time there in the snow. Easy, enjoyable little hike w/ some cool stone features, and close ups of the waterfalls.

Tons of fun things to explore. I will definitely go back.

Great hike - about 1.5 hrs to complete. Moderately easy with nice views of the stream and some smaller falls

real pretty water and rock formations

We loved this trail. It runs along the creek with lovely little water falls and a place for the pup to cool off. interesting twists and turns through rodedendrum and under trees. some very interesting dams, and little ponds. It was a fantastic afternoon hike.

nice, easy trail with some picturesque views - took dogs on trail, they loved it. only issue was finding the place, parked where the 'amphitheatre' was then walked down from there

The park map lists this trail as difficult and i agree. There are parts where it is easy, but few.

Nice 2 mile trail to see, covered with lots of pines and a forest of rhododendron to keep you cool. A few waterfalls and ponds..worth the look.

nice small waterfalls. feels like your in a small rainforests. short trail out and back

Great little hike, a bit slippery and lots of roots to step over. Great scenery. Only saw one small snake.