Shades of Death Trail

Shades of Death Trail is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Harmony, Pennsylvania that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

A beautiful walk along a stream in a rhodedendron forest This is a personal favorite, you will walk along a stream through a beautiful forest then towards the end enter some rocky areas. The Hickory Run State Park has a National Natural Landmark in the boulder field and there are some Geocaches in the park

A nice walk along the river with a damn waterfall halfway through. Some parts you have to step over roots/trees but for the most part it’s fairly flat. The end section is anticlimactic, you hit a road and then turn around, but the way there is very pleasant.

Extremely beautiful trail with peaceful views and running water sound. A must do if in the area!

Beautiful trail along the creek. We enjoyed the beautiful sight of the nature and pleasant sounds from the creek. Tree roots and rocks made it a bit challenging because we had to watch our steps quite often. At the end of the trail is the dam, picnic tables, and a nice playground.

We went with a group that all had different skill levels. The rocks and tree roots made it more difficult for a person with a mild ankle injury but we went slow. Toward the end, there was a fresh downed tree so we didn't complete the last .2 miles. Beautiful, fun trail. There were several groups of people but it never felt crowded. Like another reviewer wrote, it feels like being in another country.

Beautiful waterfalls and easy hiking. Would be nice to see the rhododendron in bloom or the leaves changing. Will plan accordingly next time.

Easy trail along the stream. Loved the name.

A simple walk through nature. ♥️ time to think. ;)

Fun walk along the creek. Some areas are difficult due to fallen trees, rocks, and water. Make sure to wear waterproof shoes.

It was a great hike along the river with several waterfalls. Loved it!

Was pretty. Loved the water sounds. Gotta watch the roots when walking.

Pretty relaxing hike, beautiful river running next to the trail.

Beautiful, quaint trail with spectacular structures, fungi, waterfalls, and greenery- 20+ varieties of mushrooms, very uncommon foliage, and old stonework paths.

The family really enjoyed this trail. I’d rate it East/moderate because the roots and rocks and if it’s wet it can be very slippery. Every turn has a new gem to discover. There is a large waterfall and a few smaller little ones. Loved the in-between rock wall, steps. Nice rhododendrons line the path. Just watch your step on the roots. Portable Johns are available at the head of the trail.

Beautiful trail with lots of cool spots for photos. Very challenging too especially after a rain the night before. Tou have to watch your every step. The waterfalls was indeed a treat.

I loved this trail!! So fun and exciting, lots of little obstacles to climb over, my dog loved it! I would however consider this a moderately difficult trail, can be slippery in some spots, especially near the waterfall parts

Should be marked as moderate/difficult. In some spots it was challenging.

Beautiful trail and waterfall. Great for kids! But watch out where you step we had a rattlesnake on the trail 2 feet in front of us before we saw it.

I’m 72 years old and in excellent shape. AllTrails rates this hike as “easy” but my own observations mixed with comments I solicited from other hikers were: “challenging “, “dicey”, “treacherous” and “more moderate” . The path follows a rushing stream with falls and ponds. It’s beautiful but the path itself is often narrow, rock and root filled, and slippery. Hickory Run State park considers this hike the “most difficult “ in the park. Be cautious.

Had a great hike. Lots to see at every turn. some roots on the trails but no worries. Our dogs had no troubles either. We are marking this one as one of our favorites

Fun hike, not too challenging. Lots of cool sights.

Packs a lot of great river and water fall views in a short hike. The surrounding forest is also really nice and you can easily get lost exploring thinking your in another country. P

Great hike with phenomenal views... not much wildlife until you get to parts with less people.
We saw a wild turkey after we crossed over the dam to the other side.
We're going back in the fall.

Beautiful trail and a fairly easy march for my wife and I as well as our kids aged 6,8,10,12,14, and 16. Stay off the flat rocks before the second dam. They were a little slick. I fell hard and broke my shoulder. Completely on me... Learn from my mistake.

Nice trail with a great variety of things to look at and picturesque spots.

A bit steeper than we expected, but a beautiful trail.

My boyfriend & I camped at Hickory Run State Park and decided to walk over and check out ‘Shades of Death’.
I’m glad we did. This was a nice, mostly shaded trail with several scenic water areas.

Great fun. Interesting and challenging. Great falls and sights. Loved it.

Easy out and back 1 mile each way. A little rocky and plenty of tree roots which is normal for northeastern PA. Beautiful waterfall and runs along the stream. Be careful not to let your phone fall into the stream!

Beautiful scenic trail and very well marked!
Loved the waterfall!

My five and eight year old kids did well on this trail. It's a really cool hike with a lot of scenery! It took about 2 hours overall and we clocked 3.44 miles from start to finish. We did this in the rain and it was still beautiful and worth the time! This is one of the best hikes we have done as a family!