Shades of Death Trail

Shades of Death Trail is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Harmony, Pennsylvania that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

A beautiful walk along a stream in a rhodedendron forest This is a personal favorite, you will walk along a stream through a beautiful forest then towards the end enter some rocky areas. The Hickory Run State Park has a National Natural Landmark in the boulder field and there are some Geocaches in the park

Awesome trail. I wouldn’t say it’s easy but then again I hiked it while pregnant. Beautiful waterfalls throughout the trail. Highly recommend.

Recommended. The trail is very wet. More than the Falls Trail at Rickets Glen. Very scenic though and pretty short. Great for kids.

Beautiful trail, easy to follow, lovely waterfalls

A great trail not far from home. In my opinion the most scenic trail in Hickory Run State Park. Don t let the name intimidate you, A great short hike if you are in the area.

Easy and beautiful trail. Well kept.

Easy trail. Clearly marked with yellow blaze.

It was nice. Creek is beautiful. Little to easy though for my liking. The scenery and setting really feels like Hobbit land. Lot of mossy rocks and paths. Cool waterfalls along the way.

beautiful! want to go back when rhododendrum are in bloom!

Beautiful waterfalls and lots of pinecones. I'd definitely go back.

Short but oh so sweet

Had a nice time there in the snow. Easy, enjoyable little hike w/ some cool stone features, and close ups of the waterfalls.

Tons of fun things to explore. I will definitely go back.

Great hike - about 1.5 hrs to complete. Moderately easy with nice views of the stream and some smaller falls

real pretty water and rock formations

We loved this trail. It runs along the creek with lovely little water falls and a place for the pup to cool off. interesting twists and turns through rodedendrum and under trees. some very interesting dams, and little ponds. It was a fantastic afternoon hike.

nice, easy trail with some picturesque views - took dogs on trail, they loved it. only issue was finding the place, parked where the 'amphitheatre' was then walked down from there

The park map lists this trail as difficult and i agree. There are parts where it is easy, but few.

Nice 2 mile trail to see, covered with lots of pines and a forest of rhododendron to keep you cool. A few waterfalls and ponds..worth the look.

nice small waterfalls. feels like your in a small rainforests. short trail out and back

Great little hike, a bit slippery and lots of roots to step over. Great scenery. Only saw one small snake.

My family really enjoyed this trail. So many beautiful sites. Glad I wore hiking boots because it did get rocky in some areas. Also a nice little playground off to the side of the trail at one point. On our way back our toddler got to play at the park and that was a bonus for her ❤

Stopped here on my drive home to Buffalo. It was beautiful! One of the most beautiful trails I have ever seen. Felt like I was in a rainforest! I did go in the beginning of summer, after a lot of rain. It was amazing! I do however think this was a moderate trail. A lot of rocky areas, I personally don't think my children could handle it, and I see easy as great for kids!

Delightful trail featuring two waterfalls. I only wish it were longer.

I enjoyed this Trail when I went. I went with my mom and my seven-year-old son. None of us had any issues on the trail whatsoever. There are very few areas where it gets rocky and of course some spots were tree roots arise on the trail. Other than that the trail is very easy to maneuver. There is a very beautiful waterfall that is nice to take pictures in front of. We passed a lot of people with dogs which was really nice to see. It seems as though a lot of the dogs were swimming, so if you have a dog that likes water this is definitely a place for you to go! I will go back to this trail with my son again sometime in Fall to see it when the leaves have changed colors.

Hiked this with friends, quiet and peaceful, lovely waterfall , and a brook runs along much of the trail.

I was a bit let down from all the reviews. A nice trail for sure along the Creek but very very rocky, the small rocks that just kill the ankles, also very crowded.

Great for kids! If they are enthusiastic about getting wet, bring extra shoes. There is a lot of water along the trail.

We had one casualty out of four people! Lol It a great hike, a few water falls and a cool rock feature. The trail can be wet, be careful to wear sneakers or hiking boots.... flips flops are not appropriate for this hike.

Short but amazing