Settler's Cabin Green Loop Trail

Settler's Cabin Green Loop Trail is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Oakdale, Pennsylvania that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Moderate trail when not overlapping other trails. Be prepared for some drops in elevation, especially near places where trail is not marked very well.

Loved this trail. Too bad I didn't go earlier in the day. My 4 year old daughter and I went on a whim at around 8 pm. We almost got lost on an off trail and it was getting dark. I will definitely hike this trail again but I'll go in the morning.

A bit muddy in spots after its rained a couple days

Lovely waterfall that I would love to see in the daytime.

Diverse scenery and terrain. Enjoyable experience.

Definitely a challenge in the snow. Looked even tougher for bikers.

Though trails are marked for the most part, I went in per the map looking for Blue, Green and Purple. But, there is a Red trail I probably ended up on most of the time (ran 6- 7 total miles of trails). Think I also saw a sign for Lake Loop Trail. So, I agree with others in that the series of trails was difficult to follow. A couple key missing markers added to the confusion.

Still thought it was a very cool experience overall, but thankfully I was in no hurry.

These are really easy trails, but they end up making for a nice long walk. The overhead trees really shade the pathways so although it was 90 today, it didn't feel like it.

I 100% DO NOT recommend this trail if you have dogs who have long coats. I have a shepherd/husky mix and spent longer after the hike than we did hiking pulling off small thorns and spike-ball bush things (clearly I'm not a botanist).

So muddy. Will go back for a hike to find that waterfall tho

Difficulty finding entrance to trail ......asked people in park and nobody knew.......once I found entrance Sign was off......just empty post Found map and sign at bottom of hill to trail.....but hiked with my dog a few miles liked and will be go back......shame wasted alot of time looking for trail.

Thursday, July 20, 2017

love the trail but this has been one of the most confusing trail to navigate. There are barely any signs especially on intersections and midway through, the color code on the trees disappears. The maps doesn't seem to coordinate with the trail in certain areas. we basically had to second guess and walk the purple back and forth until we took an unmarked trail and finally after stopping some hikers we were able to get back to the green loop.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

decent trail, areas that were a little overgrown but generally clear. markings somewhat confusing.

Monday, March 27, 2017

I found navigation a little frustrating. I ended up starting at the Tee Pee Loop Sign which actually seemed to be the blue line based on spray paint on the trees. We followed it to the perpendicular crossing with purple line. Then doubled back about 75 yards and dropped down on what I believe was green line. Ran into the waterfall and there is a pic nic bench there. Would be great to pack a lunch to. Then tried to follow the green line back toward the tee pee trail head. But about 150 yards down stream of the waterfall (beside the old rusty vehicle frame) the trails get pretty messy with no clear indication of how to continue on the green line. Maybe someone that goes there often could take some green paint down to that area for newbies to the area.

Tuesday, January 03, 2017

Pretty easy hike and a pleasant get away from the city. Some great playgrounds and picnic areas around for those who like duh things.

Saturday, October 29, 2016

Great trail. Gets a little confusing with no blazes down in the valley, but look around enough you can find where your going. Ill be back to do the other trails in the area

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Great trail, with plenty of canopy coverage. It's hard to believe you're just 15 minutes from downtown Pittsburgh. I took the green trail with a few little detours that added up to 2.9mi. The waterfall is small, but a nice place to cool off.

There are some places where the blazes are confusing, but the journey is fun.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Fun hike. Easy for the kids. Path was not very clearly marked at points but we made it and had fun!

Sunday, August 07, 2016

The trails were moderately difficult and it's so worth it to see the waterfall but it is so poorly labeled for directions it makes it almost not worth it. Don't even bother going to the park office for the map because the map doesn't even have half of the pavilions and trails labeled. Very confusing!

Saturday, August 06, 2016

A little confusing but overall it's worth a visit.

Tuesday, June 07, 2016

Took this trail for the first time with my dog and we both loved it. The waterfall was beautiful and my dog loved the water. We'll be back

Monday, May 30, 2016

Trail was ok. Markings were a little confusing but still were able to find our way without too much trouble. We went after it was dry for several days and there were still muddy areas but very passable. I could see after a rain it could be very muddy.

Saturday, October 31, 2015

We got very lost. The trail was poorly marked in places and is not well maintained. Next time I would try the blue trail longer but better for walking

Friday, April 18, 2014

Nice trail, easy to moderate. Overlaps with 2 other trails (blue and purple). Green is the most scenic but also has the most drops and rises in elevation. If you decide to take this loop in the spring prepare your feet for mud and water.