Sand Spring Trail is a 3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kidder, Pennsylvania that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Absolutely beautiful walk through rhododendrons It’s like a different world inside those tunnels

This trail is lovely, well marked, crossing over streams and through rhododendron groves that create magical little tunnels and hideaways. I hiked this on a cool late September day and enjoyed soaking my feet in the stream, would love to do it again in the summer to fully enjoy the cold water. At the end of the trail you meet the train tracks above the Lehigh River, and can turn around and hike back the way you came. I chose to take the Pine Hill trail to the Blue trail as an alternate route back... I do not recommend this unless you are up for an adventure. It was a continuous steep uphill march for the first 2 miles, on a trail that was little more than a deer path through grasses and ferns and so poorly marked that I lost it several times when the terrain became rocky and more forested. The downhill turn onto the Blue trail seemed like a relief, until it became apparent that a natural spring surfaced in the middle of the trail, turning it into 6 inches of muddy running water with thick brambles to either side, making finding a drier route impossible. In total my loop was 7.2 miles, 735 ft elevation change. I enjoyed it, but if you aren't looking for a bit of an uncomfortable journey, make your trip and out and back on the Sand Spring trail instead!

We've been coming to the Sand Spring area to swim for years. It is great for families to swim and cook out, but we had never taken any of the trails. We decided to check a trail out this time with the dogs and was surprised by how nice the trail was. It was the day after heavy rains so we couldn't complete the entire out and back because it became too muddy, but what we were able to do was really nice. The dogs enjoyed playing in the creek and the trail was nice and well kept. I would definitely recommend this to others. We can't wait to check out some of the other trails that are in Hickory Run.

Saturday, November 04, 2017

Nice easy trail...joins into 2 trails if you want to add to the short trail. Crosses Hickory Run Trail and at the end it meet up with Fire Trail at the railroad tracks.

Tuesday, May 02, 2017

This is a fairly easy trail that mostly parallels Hickory Run creek. However, there are areas where the path is rocky and/or muddy, sections that have a foot bridge crossing one of the runoff streams that feed into Hickory Run and one feeder stream that has no bridge and must be crossed by walking across the large rocks that have been placed across the water. These things are probably what gives the trail it's moderately difficult rating on the park map.

The trail leads through woods and, sometimes quite dense, rhododendron. I can imagine that it's quite pretty in early July when the rhodies are in bloom. Most recently I was on this trail on a warm day at the end of April. The trees were starting to leaf out and there were many violets along the path. There were some bugs though I image it can get much worse. However, be on the lookout for tics!

This is a nice trail though not my favorite in the park. If you're looking for a walk in the woods on a fairly easy and level trail with no boulders or climbing involved, this is a good option. If you're looking for a little more excitement of something with more to see try the Shades of Death Trail or the Hawk Falls trail down to the waterfall.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017