Saint Pete's Trail

Saint Pete's Trail is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Elverson, Pennsylvania that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I'm giving this trail 5 stars despite the fact that it was impossible to actually find signs or markers designating the trail, because it was so fun and beautiful. Travel through town and park in the parking lot at the end of town by the empty white building. Three trails branch off over the bridge and behind the white building. This point is obvious. Beyond that, it's unclear which path is what trail. The left and right trail take you along the boulders and creek and is a great adventure. While this is rated as difficult we transversed the boulders with our two daughters (9 and 5) and our Pug, all of which handled the terrain well. After climbing boulders down the creek we did find a well maintained trail running parallel to the creek. It seemed to be marked with trees with blue paint and yellow dot, however very quickly this changed to a yellow paint mark only. We happened to run into a park ranger monitoring activity at the site and asked if we were on St. Pete's trail. He said it was the game commission trail, but if you followed the yellow marks, then onto the light blue marks its about a mile loop that ultimately brings you back to the parking lot, emerging from the center trail option after the bridge at the beginning. Along this hike, there are many smaller trails that branch off, destination unknown to us. The path at times is covered by a lot of loose rocks, so be careful where you step as you could easily twist an ankle. In any case, it was any easy hike, but loved by all. We will be back.

In the begining, we didn't necessarily stay on Saint Pete's Trail...there were so many different small trails to take that we were not sure which one was which..nevertheless...we were not dissapointed! We came across some great rock formations, little creeks w. mini waterfalls, even a rope swing! There was so much excitment! I highly recommens this park to all who are ready to embark a mini journey (:

Trail needs to be marked a little better.. We got of the path a couple of times.. lots of different trails... We will be going back.. Oh and it needs a restroom.. Going to check out the shops next time too..

This was the worst trail I've ever been on. The graffiti made me so sad. Not only were there penises and boobs drawn at least a dozen times, there were also racial quotes. It was appalling. Made me pretty upset. I wish people respected nature more. People respect nature more in rural South Carolina where I'm from. There aren't even racial slurs on trees there believe it or not.

Just to clarify some of the other reviews, which aren't specific to this trail. This trail is a loop, designated by blue trail markers with a yellow dot. The yellow trail markers are for an out and back trail, not the loop trail.

This was a fun trail in the fall. The parking lot for this trail is on Saint Peters Road, across from the West Hanover Winery (coordinates approximately 40.180170, -75.731318). The trail head from here is a small concrete foot bridge. Honestly, the hardest thing about this trail is figuring out where the heck it is - it's hard to sort legitimate blazes from graffiti, and there are several appealing trails that appear unmarked (I kinda think the actual Saint Pete's trail might be one of them). The yellow trail is actually Horseshoe Trail, I think, which is an out and back trail.

If you enter the trail at the footbridge and go left, you'll be heading south over rocks. Be careful as you move through these, and if you're uncomfortable with the rocky scramble, look uphill to your right and you'll find some easier terrain. Keep going south until you see yellow blazes - you want to follow them generally northwest or west (if you keep going south, you'll hit Ridge Road and probably want to double back). After about a third of a mile, the trail becomes quite easy and beautiful. I stopped to have breakfast on boulders at the meeting point of three trails, then continued on. You'll encounter a long, straight stretch that will eventually take you to Tryhall Road, where things will get confusing. This is at roughly the 1.75 mile mark, where the Alltrails map will tell you to hike a short ways down Tryhall Road to find a trail leading back the way you came. I couldn't find it, and I'm not sure it exists. The yellow blazes continue across the road - that's Horseshoe trail, which as I've said, is an out and back. However, following that trail a short distance across the road will take you to a lovely little pond.

From this point, I doubled back until I found an unmarked trail off to the left that followed a stream back to French Creek. This was a really lovely hike through some beautiful woods. It will feel like you're in the middle of nowhere, until you begin to spy the houses to your right. From there, just follow your nose back to French Creek and the parking lot.

If you'd like to hike with your dog, just stay off the rocks and proceed northwest from the parking lot instead of going south. If you have a skittish dog, try parking on the pull-off on Tryhall Road and taking the trail from there (I saw two people with dogs on that portion of the trail, and they were the only people I saw the whole time).

this was ok. wear bright colors during hunting seasons.