Roaring Run to Rock Furnace

Roaring Run to Rock Furnace is a 5.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Apollo, Pennsylvania that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.7 miles Elevation Gain: 265 feet Route Type: Out & Back

paddle sports

partially paved

I wouldn’t rate this as a moderate hike. This is a wide, flat gravel path. It’s nice for walking dogs or an easy bike ride. The stream the path runs along is beautiful.

Beautiful!

Beautiful bike ride along the river. Last few miles are very steep and will most likely require walking.

almost left this area. very easy main trail, but signs stating clean up after dog, no problem with that, but no trash cans anywhere for waste dogs or human. sign stating that they are considering banning dogs altogether from the trail.

Some of my favorite MTN biking trails around. I may be slightly biased being that I live right down the road and am here everyday. Various moderate to difficult blue single track lines. If your looking for a place to get dirty and “off the beaten path” this is it. I noticed not many people have commented on the bike trails, yet they are the best feature of Roaring Run other than the kayaking! From the roaring Run parking lot, head about 3 miles in past Roaring Run creek and keep your eyes to the left. You will see some shale looking rock faces and that’s how you know yours close. One line ends there but to get a feel of the landscape why not just jump in there. From the shale/slag back to the waterfall overlooking Avonmore there are several entry points with bridge and obstacle covered bike trails. Great after work spot! Here now and every other day throughout the week. Be safe and most of all, have fun. Happy biking!!!

Nice trail. I’m not sure why it’s marked moderate because it’s basically a gravel bike trail the whole way.

As someone else already stated this is really 2 trails. If you want a rails to trails flat bike trail then start at Roaring Run (where the app takes you). I chose to follow the signs to Rock Furnace trail and LOVED it. Still wide gravel trail but it was wooded and followed beautiful Roaring Run. 1.5 miles down to the Kiskiminetas River so it is pretty much uphill to get back.

Beautiful trail along the water! Well kept and easy to navigate.

nice trail wish it was longer

Beautiful trail! I only wish it was longer!

I did Rock furnace trail and it was gorgeous. 3 issues though: 1) it was very difficult to find the parking lot for the trail. My GPS took me to the middle of nowhere even when i used the coordinates i found online (befkre i found this app). Signs for the trail end and you have to make a couple of turns in your own to figure out where it is—almost turned around and left when I found it. 2) the main reason I went was for the waterfalls, which like others have said are now off limits. i did sneak off trail and see the smaller ones but couldnt reach Jackson Falls. Lots of other beautiful sights though. 3) Tried to use the bathroom at the head of Roaring Run trail and it was locked.

I should have grabbed a trial map. Thankfully I read the reviews here which prompted me to exploring the Hills.

there is more to this park than just the flat trails. there are miles of trails up in the woods for hiking and mountain biking that are above moderate skill level. if you did all the trails you end up in Avenmore, total of 10-12 miles. the trails are there, you just got to poke around

Wed Nov 07 2018

A nice Trail if you follow the map its actually two tails Roaring Run and Rock Furnace trail. Rock Furnace Trail is the highlight follows Roaring Run which is actually beautiful. Camel Rock is a highlight and so is the suspension bridge. Stay Right at the split to reach the end of the trail the other way is not owned by the conservatory. there are mountain bike and hiking splits along the way or just follow the limestone path. Well marked paths. There is a nice recreation park near the parking lot. if you follow the map which I did its almost 8 miles long out and back. https://youtu.be/S3PRZQQY8-U

Fri Oct 19 2018

decent trail, very slight incline going out until roughly 3 1/2 miles out, then a bit of a hill climb. but I see old people doing it enough, so it's not exactly a leg burner. stick to the left at the top of the hill and you'll find a little waterfall tucked away behind the tree line, there's no signs indicating it, just have to use your brain for half a second. Also the marked map on this app is inaccurate, it's merging the rock furnace trail and roaring run. Just stay straight when you get to the little bridge, that continues roaring run, not the left hand turn this app is telling you take (that is rock furnace trail).

Sat Aug 18 2018

Unless you are over 60 and plan to walk, this is NOT the trail for you. A beautiful location and very flat, but a SERIOUS anti-bike and anti-dog vibe. Multiple signs about potentially banning the trail from dogs, and pulling the port-a-potties because people aren't picking up after their dogs. I get that people should clean-up after their dogs, but there are no garbage cans available for the waste or picnic garbage. Its a shame that such potential is being squandered.

Sun Aug 05 2018

A nice 6 mile hike, water was high. Enjoyed doing this one with my son.

Sat Jul 14 2018

Nice, but not fantastic

Tue Jun 26 2018

The main trail by the river is nice and mostly flat. Nice scenery and easy. Rock Furnace trail is steeper and harder for biking but is very pretty. There are many mountain biking trails around the park that have really nice views from up on the hillside.

Thu Jun 21 2018

My husband and I have been trying different rail trails this summer. We are new to biking and so far this was on the top of the list. It's not difficult, it's shady and scenic. We're glad we tried it and will return.

Sun May 20 2018

There are small restrooms at the beginning. We stayed on the bike trail the whole way because there had just been a mountain bike race earlier that day and the trails were insanely muddy. The trail follows a river and then veers off left to follow a stream for most of the way. It's a nice mostly flat small graveled path. Lots of bikers (make sure to watch out) and some hikers. Strict rule about picking up and carrying out dog waste. I went specifically to see the waterfalls, but had no luck until we asked a passerby about it, and he told us that they were down a small trail we had already gone by that had a sign saying private property. We decided to risk it because we'd driven an hour and a half... We did find them a little ways down that trail. The first is pretty light and unexciting, the second is pretty. Apparently there is an upper part which we did not know was there. Not sure if I'd ever make the drive back, but it was a nice walk.

Thu May 10 2018

This is an easy trail from the trailhead to the waterfall. I've biked this several times. If you branch off to the Rock Furnace trail, it is a bit more challenging but both are beautiful.

Sat Feb 03 2018

Lots of fun,bridges,rocks,creek crossings well maintained not very crowded. hard as you want it to be. love this trail! the mountain bike trail is hard the rail trail is easy

Tue Sep 05 2017

Very pretty and stroller friendly trail. It's long but it's easy so it's great for small children to do sections of it.

Sat Aug 19 2017

This is not a hard trail, and its really not a loop either. Although it was a beautiful well kept place, it was a let down, expecting a good challenge and finding only another rails to trails.