Rimrock Trail Loop

Rimrock Trail Loop is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bradford, Pennsylvania that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,174 feet Route Type: Loop

The leaves were beautiful, but at some points it was hard to see the trail because of the leaves on the ground. Definitely download the trail map. We didn’t take the reroute, but still enjoyed the views. Only saw a handful of people.

First time on this trail and practically had it to ourselves, which my dog loved! There is a reroute that thankfully a trail worker told us about! With the leaves dropping a couple sections were a little tricky but just look for the pink ribbons on the trees and you’re fine! There’s a sign on a tree mentioning the reroute if you go clockwise but I didn’t see one counterclockwise. Had a great hike, a little mud along the way but nothing crazy.

Went in late August. Trail reroute is nice. This makes the trail really nice going either direction. Good camping by the res. and Morrison Run. Mellow overnighter. Well enough blazed, good water sources, nice rock garden, no real view of the res, except when the leaves are down. Great trail.

I did the Rimrock loop into Morrison Campground over the weekend. I took the advice of others here and did the loop in a counter clockwise direction. At 1.5 miles in on the West side, there is a junction that labels the Rimrock trail along with the ski trail. That's all well and good, but the MAP (that is found at the trail head, inside the ranger station, and available online) does not indicate that the ski trail runs along with the Rimrock trail. The map only shows a small section of ski trail, which begins at the end of the parking lot, not the middle as the main Rimrock/Morrison loop trail does. We met a group of confused hikers on their way out - going clockwise and had to help them navigate back to the parking lot. Fortunately, during the conversation, they told me that the trail had actually been re-routed just a way down from this junction - ALSO NOT ON THE MAP. Kudos to the trail workers who made a new path, but none of the maps indicted this, nor did the rangers mention it when we told them we were hiking the loop. This detour added .61 miles to the total into the campground. It began at about 2.3 mi from the parking lot heading West. The campground itself was an issue with rude and obnoxious party goers playing music and yelling until 3 AM. Otherwise, a fairly clean area. Not ideal for people looking to hammock, but some sites are manageable. Upon exiting the campground, I took the Eastern route to finish the counter clockwise loop. There were again, quite a few little areas along the path that had blowdown and you had to find the trail AROUND the path. No heads up. No map info. Made it back to the parking lot in 3.75 miles. (Note I did not add on the Morrison Trail loop.) Both days were met with thunderstorms. The trail was very wet and muddy, moreso closer to the campground. All in all, the lake was a beautiful sight and the trail is marked better than most, but still not perfect. The East side along the stream is really pretty. The forest of fern on the West side is great as well. It's a small area, so if you get lost, you're bound to find the trail again. It is a bit confusing once you do find a junction however. I would strongly suggest avoiding any hiking in the dark.

Just completed loop in 2 days with family of 5 (7,9, and 11 year old). Took eastern side first, gentle down slope to lake side camp grounds, roughly 4 miles. Multiple good campsites along the way, and ample water from stream. Morrison camp grounds were well kept with a picnic table at each site. Toilets were vault style but clean. Camp is first come first serve and it took some effort to figure out which spots were occupied because each spot is so secluded. Only water sources were nearby streams or the lake. Took western half out, which was a mistake. At 5 miles this half has a very long/steep climb (the kids really struggled) few water sources, and few places to camp if need be. Also ran into confusing signage which began referencing Rimrock trail vs Morrison trail. Eventually ended on ski trail by mistake but it took us to the same parking lot regardless. All in all beautiful trail. Would gladly do it again.

This trail had nice diversity. It started at the top under a canopy of tall trees with a fern covering and groves of mountain laurel in bloom. It traversed the side of the mountain with slight views of the kinzua water and large moss covered boulders. It went down to the bottom through narrow thicket and spiked apply trees. It follows and crosses the creeks into a dark “gorge” or valley that feels like 8:00pm even at 3:00pm. Definitely take the advice of previous posts to go counter clockwise as the trail is significant muddier at the end this way. Expect to have to cross the creek in multiple places and your shoes will be immersed in water and the trail was MUDDY! Note: we have had a lot of rain recently. The trail was well marked. I did appreciate using AllTrail to stay on course and not extent the hike into Morrison Trail (adds another 5 miles but comes out at the same trail head). No cell phone service except at the furthest point away (by the water).

Just got home from two nights on this trail with my husband and pup. It was MUDDY but very enjoyable. Gorgeous and varied scenery and lots of great places to camp either along the trail or at the lake-front Morrison campground. Not a very challenging hike, only a few spots where we needed to catch our breath. We will definitely be back!

I first did this trail in 1990 as my first overnight backpack with my dad. I returned this past weekend as a solo trip, and it was just as great as I remember. With the recent rain, the trails were wet and muddy, but the trails are fairly well maintained, scenery was great, and a good challenge. Mountain Laurel was in full bloom.

Did this hike April 13th, and it was a beautiful day for it! I set out planning to do Rim Rock Loop counter-clockwise, which was easy enough following the markers, until I got sidetracked somewhere on the loop back. I ended up on what I can only assume was the Morrison Loop and that made it a longer hike than anticipated. The scenery at this time of year is fantastic, being able to see the river along the ridge especially. I loved the creek crossing section on the second half of the trail, although it's easy to lose track of where you're supposed to be. Super muddy, but super fun (There was a downpour the day before)! I was thankful for my gators many times. If you have a good pace and are looking at this as a day hike, I calculated it was somewhere around 20km (12.5 miles) and I got back to the trailhead in just under 4 hours. Definitely worth it!

Hiked this trail on a beautiful mid April day. Full sun, gentle breeze, temp. 55-65. Great single track loop trail. Easy hiking on the plateau portion, with huge mountain laurel thickets. I'd recommend hiking this one counter clockwise. Steeper grades on the Campbell Run leg. I thought the trail was adequately marked, however it's early spring with no leaves on and we could see far in the woods. Footway was rocky in places, but the mud was not especially bad on this day. Challenging hiking up from the campground along and sometimes in Morrison Run. This hike would be a joy in mid-June when the mountain laurel is blooming.

I loved this trail and I will hike it again. But be warned it's not well marked in spots. In fact, this Alltrails app saved the day a few times. There are many, many sections with exposed roots and ankle twisting rocks. The East side is grown in in a bunch of spots. I'd definitely suggest tick repellent if you try this one in the Summer. On the west side (Rimrock) side of the trail there is a x-country ski trail that makes things a little confusing. I would upgrade this to difficult only because of challenging trail conditions. Absolutely beautiful surroundings which make the challenges of the trail well worth the effort.

Mon Oct 22 2018

I headed into the woods on Friday afternoon and noticed the silver blazes marking the trail. The trail is marked well enough for most of the way with only a couple tricky parts. Some of the turns can easily be skipped with the blazes (some having arrows pointing to turn) being a little on the smaller side. The trail itself is fairly easy with nothing too difficult. Elevation changes are frequent and but again, nothing too steep or difficult. I went counterclockwise and skipped the Morrison Trail; only doing the Rimrock Trail Loop. I spread the trip over 3 days and 2 nights taking my leisurely time as I hiked. It was cold and wet the weekend I went where it rained all night both nights and the 2nd night it got down into the upper 20's. First night, I only hiked about 3 miles and set up camp just off the trail where an established fire ring sat. The 2nd night I stayed at the Morrison Campground. There are many campsites available there at the campground all complete with fire rings and picnic tables. Sunday morning, I woke up and finished the trail. I would definitely recommend this trail to any hiker with any amount of experience or lack there of. It's a nice little trail with plenty of campsites to offer and lots of water and streams. There wasn't anything crazy as far as views either, but it was still very beautiful just being out in the woods.

Tue Jul 24 2018

The trail followed a creek most of the way, it was very muddy and overgrown in sections. We were thankful someone left orange ties as it was confusing at some areas where to go. We stayed at the Morrison campground which is a must. The waterfront view was the best part of the hike. We took swimsuits to enjoy a swim. It cost 12$ to stay at the campground and there is a fee collection drop box. I was surprised there was cell phone service at campground and we saw many boats come through. Fire wood wasn't easy to gather for us, as everything was damp. We took a snake bite suction just in case. Water needs to be filtered before consumption. seems to be pretty popular trail on weekends. glad we checked it out but will check out others before going back.

Mon Jun 11 2018

Just finished two days on this trail. It was a great experience for a novice (me), and my experienced friend. We traveled counter clockwise, at a gradual pace. Spent first night near a creek, and second near the Morrison campground. Even though it was a busy weekend in the park (The Allegheny 100 was going on), outside of the camp. we saw very few other hikers. We found the trail easy to navigate, however, a couple of people we encountered seemed to have a hard time with it. Stayed covered with repellent, and very few if any insect bites. As others have mentioned, the return from Morrison to Trail head was wet, and covered many creeks. Overall, an excellent experience.

Wed May 30 2018

Wed May 09 2018

First time backpacking is perfect for this trail. very easy going and plenty of wonderful camp sites.

Wed Apr 25 2018

Great trail. Very beautiful. Camped out on the reservoir. There was plenty of down trees for firewood and there are bathrooms. Camping by the lake was super peaceful and then at night we could see the milky way galaxy band. Great for beginner backpackers or a great way to test gear.

Mon Oct 16 2017

Loved this trail. $10 for a camping permit payable down the road. I went solo for one night and did the whole loop and camped at the lake. Such a beautiful lake view. Heard coyotes singing in the middle of the night, saw a porcupine and a big buck came snorting through camp around 5am. I did get a tick so if you don’t wear Deet make sure you give yourself a solid tick check. Lots of streams to catch water at along the loop. Plenty of campsites on the loop if you didn’t get a permit for one of the sweet lake spots that include metal fire ring and picnic table. Apparently they usually have running water at the lake, but a note stated it didn’t pass the last rounds of testing so is off limits for now. If you go here be sure to check out the Rockrim Overlook just west of the trail via a short car ride. Also you won’t catch a signal back here so say your love yous and goodbye before you hit the drive in from route 6!

Sun Oct 01 2017

We did the Rimrock trail loop. Very pleasant forest hike. No views over the water (you can kind of see it through the trees), but the forest is beautiful with a variety of vegetation. Some of the signage is problematic-- there are a number of unmarked spurs and crossings. There are some signs at trail intersections but not all of the options are marked. The map for the Morrison trail in the app shows a cut across that is now closed (we had to double back to try to find it).

Thu Aug 24 2017

3 of us did this trail in July 2017. Lots of great free campsites with clean water sources along the eastern route. The lake sites require a cash only fee under $10 but are very well maintained. This was the trip of snakes for sure. They are all over the lake campsite and I stepped on a few while hiking the trail.