Rimrock Trail Loop is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bradford, Pennsylvania that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,174 feet Route Type: Loop

Beautiful, dynamic and rustic trail through Allegheny National Forest. Pretty well marked with many changes in scenery. The trail varies from very well groomed to long stretches of roots and rocks. A really great trail that features a backpack/boat-in only campground.

First backpack trip for my 7yr old son. The bypass trail was a great addition. Great scenery, and a much easier descent to the valley. Some recent trail maintenance since last year.

I am a noob and this was only my second real hike. I did it as a day hike and I did the full Rimrock Loop and Morrison Loop in about 4 hours. I was moving fast. I got lost to begin with and ended up on the road that leads to the Rimrock Trailhead. I went back the way I came and went the other direction at the "Y," and then ended up back on the correct trail. It is easy to get lost here. All the other hikers I talked to said they got lost as well. This trail needs to be more clearly marked. The trail itself is easy to follow once you're on it, and it's in fair condition. A lot of windfall that hasn't been cleared, but overall it's a nice hike. Morrison Campground sits right on the reservoir and is really nice. My amateur advice is to count on getting lost if you attempt this loop. I got lost three times and had to double back to re-find the trail. In my opinion the park rangers need to do a better job of clearing and marking the correct trail. I would start the trail early, and go counter-clockwise. That way you will encounter the confusing parts at the beginning of your hike and not the end. Kinzua beach is nice. A side note, the road to the Morrison Trailhead is in awful condition. It will literally tear your car apart if you aren't dodging all the potholes! It's downright dangerous!

Entry shares same start point as the 5.1m. Morrison loop trail. Generally a Beautiful area for a trail and with good company -enjoyable. HOWEVER —if you don’t get lost with the new rerouting. Some areas are poorly marked, yet the route seems well- defined. Following up the advise of one reviewer- we did a counter-clock wise approach to avoid adding the 2.3 extra miles they noted from the new route. This plan DID NOT work for us! After 11 miles, we found ourselves in circling back— away from out staring point. Luckily we found a brief spot of cell phone reception and between my manual compass and friends cell phone we were able to navigate to a forest service road where family extracted us. Final mileage 16.6 miles... estimated 4-6 miles from our parking spot!! Thank goodness we had extra water and high density food! None the less, we plan to try again with a paper map and hard core compass skills!!

Hiked this trail a few days ago. It was dry and clear. It is a beautiful area. We parked at the Morrison trailhead and went counterclockwise as suggested by others on this site. We did not have service, which we expected, so I was not able to follow the route on the app which was okay because we were trying to unplug anyway. But it could have really saved us from getting lost even though we had a map. We hit more intersections on the route than are marked on the map and we followed the signs for Rimrock as we planned to do the Rimrock loop. We were certain that we were doing the right thing as we always followed signs called Rimrock and the white blazes marked on the trees taking care to note that the blue ones are for the ski trail. We did not take the ski trail from the parking lot but followed Morrison to Rimrock. We stayed on what we thought was the correct trail with the marked blazes for about three miles and were confused because we did not hit the Campbells Run creek a bit earlier and that is where we intended to camp the first night. Instead, we came to an intersection, one way had a wood sign clearly labeled Rimrock. We followed it and hit the road (which we later realized was route 454 that heads to Rimrock overlook). We knew there wasn’t a road on the Rimrock loop and we were confused. We turned back and went the other way- that path looked good but pretty soon after it appeared to be a lot of rusted metal buried items like tubes and a bed frame and other buried items on the side of the path- surprising on this beautiful route ( please do not let that deter you - you will likely never reach that path and this is a spectacular hike if you don’t get lost). It was getting late and we needed to camp so we went back to the path that said Rimrock and crossed the road which had no direction or sign on the other side and camped in the woods overlooking the reservoir. Again, we were quite confused about where we actually were but had enough water so we camped there peacefully. In the morning we retraced our steps and realized that at the intersection just prior to the one with the wood Rimrock sign and the junkyard, we took a wrong turn. It was not well marked and confusing at that junction as the ski trail and Rimrock blazes are both there. We found the path that we should have taken and hiked there for about 15-20 minutes. We for a moment had service and found ourselves parallel to Campbell’s Run creek. We ended up turning around there and hiking back the way we came several miles back to the parking lot and not doing the full loop. We got into our car and found our camping spot along route 454 across from the end of the path and large stone and realized we camped downhill from the road that leads to Rimrock overlook. We realized that somehow we had merged with either the rerouted trail or another ski trail on our hike. The trail was confusing. I’m thinking we should have gone clockwise to avoid confusion but the intersections would still be at the end of the hike and would still be confusing. I regret not seeing the Morrison campground. This hike will be absolutely spectacular when the Mountain Laurel is in bloom in a few weeks in June. It is everywhere all over the hills during the hike. It is a peaceful, beautiful place. I want to go back and do it again without getting completely lost.

We have hiked this a few times. Easy to follow. Always great pictures, downfall, always see snakes, I am not a snake fan.

Was a little wet from the fresh snow but this trail provided great views. There were a lot of rocks which entertained our group and we were able to break for lunch at a campsite right on the reservoir . Everyone in our group enjoyed this trail...

A lot of fun. Most of the comments are spot on, so I wont repeat. I will offer that the eastern route or the Morrison Loop (left at the intersection) from parking lot to campground is much more friendly, both topo wise and trail condition. It is shorter, but if you are just looking for a decent hike to the campground, I would use the eastern side as a "in and out". The full loop was great. The campground was awesome.

The leaves were beautiful, but at some points it was hard to see the trail because of the leaves on the ground. Definitely download the trail map. We didn’t take the reroute, but still enjoyed the views. Only saw a handful of people.

First time on this trail and practically had it to ourselves, which my dog loved! There is a reroute that thankfully a trail worker told us about! With the leaves dropping a couple sections were a little tricky but just look for the pink ribbons on the trees and you’re fine! There’s a sign on a tree mentioning the reroute if you go clockwise but I didn’t see one counterclockwise. Had a great hike, a little mud along the way but nothing crazy.

Went in late August. Trail reroute is nice. This makes the trail really nice going either direction. Good camping by the res. and Morrison Run. Mellow overnighter. Well enough blazed, good water sources, nice rock garden, no real view of the res, except when the leaves are down. Great trail.

I did the Rimrock loop into Morrison Campground over the weekend. I took the advice of others here and did the loop in a counter clockwise direction. At 1.5 miles in on the West side, there is a junction that labels the Rimrock trail along with the ski trail. That's all well and good, but the MAP (that is found at the trail head, inside the ranger station, and available online) does not indicate that the ski trail runs along with the Rimrock trail. The map only shows a small section of ski trail, which begins at the end of the parking lot, not the middle as the main Rimrock/Morrison loop trail does. We met a group of confused hikers on their way out - going clockwise and had to help them navigate back to the parking lot. Fortunately, during the conversation, they told me that the trail had actually been re-routed just a way down from this junction - ALSO NOT ON THE MAP. Kudos to the trail workers who made a new path, but none of the maps indicted this, nor did the rangers mention it when we told them we were hiking the loop. This detour added .61 miles to the total into the campground. It began at about 2.3 mi from the parking lot heading West. The campground itself was an issue with rude and obnoxious party goers playing music and yelling until 3 AM. Otherwise, a fairly clean area. Not ideal for people looking to hammock, but some sites are manageable. Upon exiting the campground, I took the Eastern route to finish the counter clockwise loop. There were again, quite a few little areas along the path that had blowdown and you had to find the trail AROUND the path. No heads up. No map info. Made it back to the parking lot in 3.75 miles. (Note I did not add on the Morrison Trail loop.) Both days were met with thunderstorms. The trail was very wet and muddy, moreso closer to the campground. All in all, the lake was a beautiful sight and the trail is marked better than most, but still not perfect. The East side along the stream is really pretty. The forest of fern on the West side is great as well. It's a small area, so if you get lost, you're bound to find the trail again. It is a bit confusing once you do find a junction however. I would strongly suggest avoiding any hiking in the dark.

Just completed loop in 2 days with family of 5 (7,9, and 11 year old). Took eastern side first, gentle down slope to lake side camp grounds, roughly 4 miles. Multiple good campsites along the way, and ample water from stream. Morrison camp grounds were well kept with a picnic table at each site. Toilets were vault style but clean. Camp is first come first serve and it took some effort to figure out which spots were occupied because each spot is so secluded. Only water sources were nearby streams or the lake. Took western half out, which was a mistake. At 5 miles this half has a very long/steep climb (the kids really struggled) few water sources, and few places to camp if need be. Also ran into confusing signage which began referencing Rimrock trail vs Morrison trail. Eventually ended on ski trail by mistake but it took us to the same parking lot regardless. All in all beautiful trail. Would gladly do it again.