Ricketts Glen Falls

Ricketts Glen Falls is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Fairmount Twp, Pennsylvania that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

17 Amazing waterfalls along a steep but well-maintained trail Have good footwear for this one...It's often wet and slippery even though the trail is maintained in excellent condition. This hike is a simple loop that takes you past most of the falls in Ricketts Glen State Park. You can do this loop when camping at the park because it's an easy walk to the trailhead (about a mile each way from most of the campsites). Start at the sign and follow the trail. Turn right when the trail splits and follow the signs to the Falls Trail. You'll shortly see your first waterfall. There is a bridge at "Waters Meet" that you need to cross where the two streams merge - although it's not the halfway point, it is where you'll start heading uphill instead of downhill. Follow the trail up and, if you'd like, you can take the shortcut to the Highland Trail when you see the sign. The Highland Trail will take you back, after passing through the "Midway Crevasse", to the Lake Rose parking lot.

Great trail and doesn’t take long! If you want to relax after the hike, there is also a picnic area at the boat launch just nearby.

this might be my favorite place in PA. I'd recommend doing the loop clockwise though, due to steepness of the trail at some spots. always a beautiful day at ricketts glen

Went a week following heavy rains
The lower trail was actually closed for repairs from flooding. The falls were gorgeous at full volume. From Lake Rose Trail head, be sure to take the Highland Trail route down. The loop is better in this direction. Loved the trails...from wide wooded to steep stairsteps to laid out "slate-like" sidewalks, plus along the rushing creek. With a lot of picture taking, we finished just under 3.

It was a good hike with a good number of waterfalls . The loop was roughly 6 miles and it took us 3 hours . Nothing too crazy but you need to have good shoes ! The views were great at some of the waterfalls .

Beautiful gorgeous it was great

3 hours of beauty... yes, your feet are going to hurt as never but totally awesome. Ganoga, Reynolds... all the falls will get your heart.

Amazing!

Such an amazing place to hike and see all the different falls. Definitely have good shoes for this as it gets slippery. It's well worth spending the day

Beautiful hike only draw back is the multitude of people and the lack of knowledge on trail etiquette. Not sure there is a slow time but worthy the views

It's a nice little workout with some great scenery

One of our favorite hikes. You get to see 22 water falls on this trail. The falls were amazing. The hike it self was great! We went Memorial weekend on Friday. Wasn’t to crowded we started out early. Take your time enjoy the day. The water was rushing pretty nice after a lot of rain. Plenty of place to sit and enjoy lunch.

Hiked Ricketts for my 4th time Tuesday. Parked at the lot on 118 and caught the Falls Trail there. Lot has ample paved parking and restrooms. Picture a balloon on a string and, beginning the hike here is beginning at the bottom of the string. If you drove to the main entrance and did the circular shape of the balloon only ,starting at the top, you’d miss seeing 3 of the 21 Falls. Those three are along the “string” of the balloon. We wanted to see them all so, we began at the Route 118 Falls Trail. Where the string meets the balloon you have a choice of going clockwise around the balloon or counter clockwise. We chose to go clockwise as we remember how steep and wet those rocks were to walk down from the main lot last time. Choosing to go clockwise means walking UP the muddy, wet incline. Much easier and less slippery that way. Once at the top of the balloon, the walk back down the other side is drier and less steep. That’s a much easier return walk. You’ll know when you’ve reached the bottom of the balloon because there’s a large bridge and map of the falls stating “ you are here.” This is the point you choose clockwise or counter clockwise.
The hike itself is vigorous at times and you’ll appreciate the switchbacks as a way to catch your breath. You’ll probably have to stop a handful of times just to catch your breath. You’ll want to stop and view/photograph the falls.
The park supposedly doesn’t allow people in the water at any of the falls but, we saw several families with children dressed in bathing suits who seemed to have every intention of swimming. Wear your bathing suit to hike and maybe a second pair of shoes if it’s hot. You may wanna cool off.

Bring water and something to snack on. Also, the bugs were out, including mosquitos on this day ( thunderstorms the night before) so, bug spray helps.

Love this hike. Hope this helps.

Beautiful trail, high traffic.The fall are gorgeous.
Watch your footing, and wear sturdy footwear.

Went on a Friday, parked at lake Jean and did loop. Absolutely stunning. Not many on trail.. This is one of my favorite pa hikes

This hike was beautiful. The waterfalls were stunning.. very very high traffic, which would be the only complaint I could come up with. There were a lot of small children and dogs, but that’s because you can park at base of mountain and walk to a fall that is very close. I would not advise bringing children or dogs on the full hike. Some spots were very dangerous.. and extremely slippery when wet. Mind your footing.. and if people behind you are on your tail.. let them pass (go at the speed you feel most comfortable). It’s important to pay attention because a fall could be very bad. I would suggest starting hike at mountain base that way going back is easier since it’s down hill. I made the mistake of starting at the top of the mountain and then when I reached the bottom... realizing I had to do everything over again, on an incline!! That was very exhausting. Enjoy this beautiful place and stay safe.

Lives up to the hype. It is an incredible hike. We went on a Tuesday and Wednesday,both days very few people.We start in the parking lot on RT 118 and headed up counter clockwise on the loop.Seemed to work out well for us. Everything is clearly marked,paths were clear but as everyone else has said "wear a comfortable shoe" .Will be returning in the fall.

Loved every step of it and it wasn’t that crowded either. Very relaxing.

Well maintained and sign-posted trail, lovely waterfalls, path as advertised, definitely agree with the need for good footwear.

Waterfall Overfload. No shortage of beautiful scenery!! I think I spent more time stopping to look at the falls which were around every run. You can easily access the largest waterfall by parking in the Lake lot and entering the train to your Right. You can do a quick out and back and get to see the largest of the falls. If you enter to your left you will encounter the larger falls towards the end. Either way you enter, it will be a constant and sometimes steep descent until you get about halfway through then it starts a constant and sometimes steep ascent. For us, it took a little over four hours to get there but it was so worth the drive. If you stand at the.

Not often have I done such a short and simple hike with such spectacular sights. I bid you go. See the wonders in waterfall form.

loved this trail! real easy to do walked it with 2 dogs no problem it has some great views. went after a good rain so the falls has some good flow so the trails were wet but that's to be expected

Very beautiful,we cost three hours walking this trail.

One if my fav local trails. Love the falls!

They should rename this trail and call it, "The Stairmaster" cause that's exactly what it is!

Beautiful scenery and good trails with elevation gain/loss.

We nailed it and went during the worst weather ever! but this trail is sheltered somewhat and the rain/fog didn't effect us much! Made the colors pop in our pictures too :) Eat at the Rickett's Glenn Hotel...YUMMO! Get the potato thing - it was delicious!

In Aug 2016, we camped here with our family of ten and hiked over 15 mi in this park. The waterfall trail is amazing. Steep. Slippery. And gorgeous.

This is my number one all-time favorite trail, I've hiked it probably 20 times or more since I first discovered Ricketts Glen in 2000. Unfortunately the word is out and yes, in the summer it is SLAMMED with people, so don't expect any pristine people-less photos unless you're very very patient. Instead, go in the early spring when the wildflowers abound, go in November when you can feel fall slipping into winter, and go in the winter too! In January or February, starting from Adams Falls on Rt 118 and heading up toward Waters Meet when the waterfalls are frozen is totally amazing. I shouldn't even be telling you my secrets because I don't even want you there, I want to keep this jewel all to myself. On second thought...the Falls Trail is super lame, so stay away!

The views are absolutely spectacular. The only part that I disliked and could really ruin somebody’s hike is the amount of people there. Would be great for colder weather would decrease the foot traffic

Beautiful fall hike! Go early in the day, less crowded. Waterfalls don't disappoint.