Rickets Glen Falls Loop is a 6.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Fairmount Township, Pennsylvania that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Falls Trail in Ricketts Glen State Park is the classic hike in the park. It's also one of the best hikes in all of Pennsylvania and is considered by many to be the single best waterfall hike in the eastern United States. The 7-mile semi-loop through both Ganoga Glen and Glen Leigh visits 21 named waterfalls, the highest being 94' Ganoga Falls. Start your journey at the bottom of the glens along Highway 118, parking at either the Evergreen Parking Area on the south side of the highway, or the small picnic area and trailhead on the north side. If parking at the Evergreen Parking Area, pick up a park map at the kiosk and carefully walk across the highway to reach the start of the Falls Trail on the west bank of Kitchen Creek. If you're starting from the picnic area, a short connector trail takes you across a bridge over Kitchen Creek to join the main Falls Trail. For the first mile, Falls Trail follows an old roadbed on a mostly level course along Kitchen Creek. You'll be in a mixed hardwood forest for the entire hike. Because the steep terrain in the glens prevented logging, you'll pass through some old growth forest along the way. Spruce trees become more common as you climb in elevation. If you're hiking in the spring, look for blossoming dogwood trees and a variety of wildflowers. You'll cross two sturdy wooden bridges over Kitchen Creek before reaching a split in the trail. Here, the Lower Trail to the right descends to follow very closely along the bank of Kitchen Creek. This trail is occasionally quite exposed and can also be flooded if Kitchen Creek is running high. To your left, the alternate Upper Trail climbs briefly, then contours along the hillside on a wide path. Both the Lower and Upper Trails reunite at the first waterfall in the Glens: 16' Murray Reynolds Falls. While not particularly high, this waterfall is quite beautiful and provides a taste of what you'll encounter further up the trail. As you pass each waterfall, look for small wooden signs identifying the name of the fall. These signs are attached directly to the rock on the opposite side of the creek, usually near the crest of the waterfall. Continue on a gradual climb along Kitchen Creek, passing 36' Sheldon Reynolds Falls and 27' Harrison Wright Falls before reaching a major trail junction at Waters Meet. Here, the trails split, with the Ganoga Glen Trail continuing straight up the west bank of Kitchen Creek while the Glen Leigh Trail crosses a bridge to your right to climb up into Glen Leigh. Waters Meet is an idyllic spot, with waterfalls visible up both of the glens. For our hike, we'll climb up Ganoga Glen, then take the Highland Trail over to Glen Leigh, where we'll descend into Glen Leigh and eventually return to this spot. Starting up Ganoga Glen, the trail passes 47' Erie Falls, 47' Tuscarora Falls, and 17' Conestoga Falls. The trail gradually becomes steeper and more narrow as you climb up the glen. Staircases assembled from natural stone help with the ascent of the steeper sections, but lack guardrails of any kind. Water seeps down onto the trail from above, meaning that you are virtually guaranteed to encounter muddy, slippery conditions at any time of year. Continuing your climb up the glen, cross a side stream on a wooden bridge and come to 39' Mohican Falls. Pass 37' Delaware Falls and 12' Seneca Falls before passing a trail junction on your left. This signed trail connects to the Ganoga View Trail and the Old Beaver Dam Road Trail to the west of Ganoga Glen. Looking up the glen, you will shortly see Ganoga Falls. At 94', it's the highest waterfall in the park, and twice as high as any of the other waterfalls. Before climbing to the top of the falls, you'll want to take an unmarked side path to your right that leads to the base of the falls. This is where you'll find the best view of the entire waterfall. At the top of the falls, views are limited as the trail has to climb above a steep embankment rather than follow along the bank of the stream. Resist the temptation to wander off-trail down the embankment, as this is where many accidents occur. Continuing uphill, you'll pass 11' Cayuga Falls, 13' Oneida Falls, and 37' Mohawk Falls before reaching a major trail junction. Here, turn right on the Lake Rose Trail and continue uphill. The trail to the left connects to the Old Beaver Dam Road Trail. The Lake Rose Trail eventually leads up to the Lake Rose Trailhead, a possible alternative start if you want to do a shorter loop and still see most of the park's waterfalls. After 0.2 miles, turn right onto the Highland Trail for the traverse over to Glen Leigh. The trail here is very different than the one you've been on so far. It's mostly a level walk through the woods. Enroute to Glen Leigh, you'll pass through Midway Crevasse, a narrow passageway through a rock formation of Pocono sandstone.

Well this was my first time at the falls, I went with my brother in law and nephew. Our plans were to take the shorter trail due to it getting dark so early again. We accidentally ended up in the lower parking lot and said the hell with it and took the longer route. First and foremost the extra hike was definitely work it. Just the few extra waterfalls on it alone are worth it.
Once we got to the loop it was beautiful, but holy steps Bat-man!! lol. It was a hike up hill. Since we had some snow recently it was definitely very dangerous in spots, I understand why they have so many warnings posted.
Over all, with the careful footing for to the ice and the MANY pictures we stopped to take, the whole trek took us 4.5 hr's. And we finished just in time as the sun was going down and the rain began.
Overall a great first time experience at Rickets Glenn. We must have discussed or future trips back half a dozen times over the hike.

Amazing in the winter.

My son took me out on Falls Trail the day before Thanksgiving. He is an experienced climber and guide and I learned a lot about hiking in winter. We were the only people on the trail and got to see the falls in a pristine snow-covered setting. Unbelievable. We went to Waters Meet and then turned around, as it was pretty strenuous for me. It was incredibly beautiful.

Love this trail. Hiked twice — once in the spring and once in the middle of summer. Would like to try again in the fall. Can be very crowded, but the falls are breathtaking and worth it. Good idea to bring bug spray on this hike during the summer.

This is obviously a great hike, though it can be crowded at times. Awesome falls just about the entire hike. It took us about 4 hours to do the loop on a less crowded day. It can be slippery so use caution. Must do hike and IMHO late October early November is the best time.

Trail is beautiful! Falls vary in size but all are great. Just hiked today and leaves made for slippery rocks and trails but the scenery was perfect! Great fall hike for sure. I will definitely return. My German Shepherd who is almost 11 years old pretty much ran this whole trail which means I did as well. Also lots of detours into the water for fun! Great trail for dogs (if larger in size and in good shape) lots of well marked trails and plenty of spots to step aside to let people pass. Highly recommend this trail! Experience it because it's worth it!

heavily packed on weekends.

This is one of my favorite hikes that I’ve ever done!! It’s amazing to see so many waterfalls in one day! Each big & beautiful! Easy trail. Don’t miss the little red lizards!

This is one of my favorite hikes! It is very crowded during the summer because people swim at the base of the falls, but the trails are never overpacked. The rocks can get very slippery so you need to wear shoes with good traction. The views are incredible every step of the way!

This was such an amazing hike that I came back 2 days later and hiked the loop again. A must see for everyone.

I love it here

Great hike with lots of steps. Recommend hiking boots as it was wet throughout the trail.

Great hike. One of the best in Pennsylvania I would have to agree. Went the full loop and saw all the falls. Definitely will come back and do it again.

Even though it is kind of a tough loop. I had not hiked in a long while and was able to make it through it without too much pain. Very important to have good hiking shoes because the trail is quite rocky and wet.

rock climbing

Been there almost annually for past 5 years in January. Crampons and ice gear a MUST in Winter

beautiful! was expecting one fall and a short hike .. 6 miles later and about 30 falls later! so cool.

Beautiful trail starting from top with a moderate effort going back up.

An amazing place every Pennsylvanian should hike. Such a gem, and we are so lucky to have this place in PA. The waterfalls are all beautiful and breathtaking. I loved every minute we were there. Swam in a couple holes and waterfalls which was refreshing. Very busy when I was there. The hike is hard at times and can be dangerous if not prepared. I completed the whole loop...was about 9 miles total, but worth it! Make sure you wear boots there. I saw several people almost die because they had the wrong footwear.

A little crowded but with this kind of scenery it’s to be expected. If you’re a fan of waterfalls you got to do this hike. It is a photographers dream.

didn't really know what to expect when the hubby and I decided to hike this trail. honestly we thought it was going to be a dud with a bunch of small waterfalls. we were completely wrong. this loop was awesome! took some amazing photos and had a lovely relaxing afternoon. in total it took about 4 hours, but we took our time and soaked in the beauty. we went on a Thursday morning. the trail was rather quiet we maybe came across 6 to 10 other groups. I cant wait to explore this trail again next year when we are back in pa!

My absolute favorite trail. i've been going to Ricketts since I was a little boy on school trips. getting a little crowded for my liking, but definitely a must see trail.

Beautiful old growth forest and great waterfalls, if you'd like to avoid crowds on weekends you'd have to go out very early, as for difficulty it's lower end moderate imo , it's basically steep stairways.

Great hike! Falls are beautiful. Fantastic hike.

Finally got to hike the falls loop trail! The waterfalls were spectacular.

Awesome trail, but (obviously) wear good hiking boots - other trail shoes may be fine, but rain or shine, there's a lot of mud. I'm a beginner, so I was very glad I brought a proper walking stick. Pretty sure it saved me from busting my butt on some of the multiple rock downhills! (For what it's worth, I'm also what you might call ... not graceful.)

Great hike, the rain made the falls magnificent. Glad we did what was recommended and went up the steeper side and wearing a great pair of waterproof hiking boots is essential.

What a spectacular place to hike! I definitely agree with others' recommendations to park at the Route 118 lot and head out from there, going clockwise around the loop. The steep steps are easier to climb up than to descend. Wear appropriate footwear, as everything is wet and can be slippery. Where the Falls Trail and the Highland Trails meet, we took a short walk to the Lake Rose parking area in search of picnic tables. We didn't find any, but instead sat on the ledge of the pavilion to eat. There are restrooms there, and trash cans in the restrooms. The descent takes you very close to the edge of some of the falls, and the steps are still a little steep, so if you have a fear of heights- as I do- prepare yourself for that. Swimming is prohibited, although that didn't stop several people from getting in the water (insert frowny face here). It did feel good to splash some cold water on our faces, though! We departed the parking lot around 10 am, and since I stopped multiple times to take pictures, it took us around 6 hours. Crowds weren't too bad for the first half, but increased as we went down the East side of the Falls Trail. I imagine if you go during the week, or get started even earlier, it probably isn't too bad. All in all a fantastic day!

I think this may have been the most beautiful hike we’ve ever done in PA!

I love this place! Started the Falls Trail at 9:30..Just, early enough before it gets to busy..Because of all the rain the past week, the water and the falls were roaring along! If your going to hike this trail, the one important thing you need to do is wear the right footwear!! It’s slippery, some parts are steep and rocky.. You should definitely take time and go enjoy Ricketts Glen State Park!!!

Gorgeous! Worth the sweat!

Worthy!!