Reeds Gap Spur is a 4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Mc Clure, Pennsylvania. The trail is good for all skill levels and is primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,482 feet Route Type: Loop

I had never been to Reeds Gap before. I decided to follow directions with this app to get to the Reeds Gap Campground Trail which states it’s 1.1 miles. The directions led me to Reeds Gap Spur Trail which ended up making my hike almost 6 miles. It would have been much longer but once I got to the dirt road around 3 miles I walked up the dirt road past where my map told me to go (on the left), I walked to the pole lines made a right which is where I would have ended up back on the mapped trail on this app but it was very over grown, unmarked and barely even a very narrow recognizable trail. Absolutely no markings or signs to follow so at that point just shortly after the pole lines I turned around and came back down the trail I walked up. Made for a very adventurous hike, definitely rocky but decent.

flooded

flooded

First, this trail is HARD and not for the faint of heart or those without hiking boots. The first quarter of this trail was nice and adventurous (hence the stars) however, coming down was AWFUL. The first part, you should follow the bright yellow markings. When you get to the bench though, go straight to follow the mustard yellow marking up the mountain. It rained hard this week, so it was like hiking waterfalls. When you reach Knob Road and then make the left up into the side of the mountain again (follow red markings), IT IS STEEP and long. I’m in shape/workout and it was hard. After reaching the top of the mountain and seeing the towers, you can follow the red markings, but then when you get back to Knob Road, FOLLOW THE ROAD back to the trail to come back down. The trail that this app shows is not a trail at all. We ended up in so much brush and walking down the power lines on straight boulders. Coming down, we were following the app trail and it led us to a cliff which I ended up sliding off of. Until we got back to the bench, we were over it (and we enjoy hiking and adventures). This trail map DOES NOT match the actual trail and there are ZERO markings when you try to come back down. Just beware!

Took my dogs on this one. They loved it!

Sat Sep 16 2017