Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Rachel Carson Trail: North Park Segment

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(177)
North Park

Rachel Carson Trail: North Park Segment is a 2.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Allison Park, Pennsylvania that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.9 miles Elevation Gain: 383 feet Route Type: Loop

The trail runs through stands of hemlock and crosses the creek several times before meeting up with the abandoned rail line and then climbing out of the valley. One enters a broad grassy field that is reclaimed from local deep mining. At this point, you leave the clear trail and cut across the field up the hill before reentering the woods and looping back to the start.

I started this trail & really appreciated the canopy, offering shade in 90 degree heat. Strangely enough there were a lot of abandoned pavilions. There were a lot of little bugs that buzzed my face. I had to keep swatting at them. Unfortunately I did not get to finish the full trail. As I was going up hill, another hiker coming in the opposite direction warned me of a swarm of bees. I had to reroute & cut short. This trail is not a trail that goes deep into the woods. You can still hear cars driving by. Not sure if I’m going back.

Its neat because it has so many other trails attached to it but It’s a little tricky to follow without looking at the map.

Attempted to follow this trail but was difficult due to poor markings and overlapping trails/connections. Ended up completing 4 miles instead but was still a very nice hike! Some cool views of north park! Few people out on trail, lots of people in parking area and fields surrounding.

This trail has some beautiful views! After rain though it does make it tough to not slide and the creeks rise, making it hard to cross with a dog.

I’m not sure I would call this hike 100% Rachel Carson Trail, but I didn’t see the option to call it a “hybrid” so we’ll go with what we could find. This hike ... wasn’t my favorite. I think I’ve learned that I really don’t care for hiking in North Park. There’s too many intersections with big, major roads; you always feel as if you’re in somebody’s backyard; and there’s really nothing to see. You’re always so tangled up in something, there’s really no time to let the dogs off leash (which—I know—you’re not supposed to do). But our friends Bernie and Helen suggested this hike and Bernie was the man with the map. So I just went where the group went. And—at the end of the day—I came back with mud on my boots. And I guess that’s all that matters!

I really liked this trail! Went walking with my golden retriever. A little rocky at times but definitely a moderate trail. At times it was confusing because of the markers changing to different symbols. I ended up missing probably .9 of the trail because of the confusion but you always have sight of the road.

The creek was really high when we went out Sunday morning after the rain. Turned around about 2.5 miles in because we didn’t want our legs to be soaked through. Otherwise, it’s the beautiful and consistent RCT

Able to follow the trail on the Alltrails app first time out here. Start at the sign with the map across from Pie Traynor field and follow along the trail next to the road toward the pool until it splits off to the right down the hill. Mostly white markers, some with dots. Some gravel, some more like single track.

the trail isnt marked correctly ended up falling three different ones

Mon May 27 2019

Fri May 24 2019

As someone else mentioned, this is just a fragment of the Rachel Carson Trail. Most of this recording/map isn't even on the Rachel Carson Trail. For those looking for a nice hike in this area, park at the Hamar shelter near the Pie Traynor Fields and follow the white blazed trail. It crosses and offshoots a lot in this part of the park but just follow the white blazes and you'll be ok. If you want to access Rachel Carson from here, it's the yellow blazed trail right behind the Hamar shelter. I would go east from this starting point. If you want to go west, park at the spillway lot and follow yellow blazes.

Sun May 19 2019

where the heck is the start of this trail? theres no pictures or mention of it in comments. my GPS keeps taking me to pie trainer parking lot.

Thu May 16 2019

Sun Mar 10 2019

muddy, but quiet, winding trail through North Park

Sat Mar 09 2019

More populated area. Less primitive.

Tue Jan 15 2019

there were some parts of the trail that got the cardio going. It branches off a lot but from what I can tell the app keeps you on track and it's well marked. you can venture off the branches to extend your hike to northern pets of the park. I saw Mountain bikes when I was on it.

Wed Jan 02 2019

As was indicated earlier, this is not the trailhead to the Rachael Carson trail. It is a suburban trail which would be fine if you lived nearby but it’s not worth a drive.

Wed Oct 24 2018

This is only a very small portion of the trail. The full trail is over 37 miles long and ends in Harrison Hills Park. There doesn’t seem to be trail guide in the app for the full trail but you can see it if you zoom the map out. The full trail is very difficult and there is a challenge event held every year by the trail association.

Sat Aug 25 2018

Great trail for us with our lab puppy. Not very well marked but if you set a pin where you parked it helps guide you. Saw a handful of mtn. bikers but mostly empty on a busy park Saturday. Decent amount of declines then inclines - wouldn’t recommend for those not looking for a workout.

Fri Apr 13 2018

It’s a nice trail, saw some wildlife while we were out. Overall it’s a bit busy in the surrounding area but hardly anyone was on the trail. The markers do indeed get a bit confusing to follow. The vistas weren’t as impressive as most people said and there really isn’t too much to see besides woods. Well maintained though, not great, not terrible overall.

Sat Jan 27 2018

The trail is not difficult to follow if you have a map or use the ap. The trail turns right once you hit the telephone lines. The trail was in good condition with only a few really muddy spots. Not many people on the trail due to the cold weather.

Sat Dec 02 2017

Short hike. Lovely fall leaves all around. As we are new to following trail markers we weren't sure if we were to follow the yellow, green, or U shapes on the trees (we believe it's the U shape). Though it felt a little urban it was quiet and serene, possibly due to the colder temperatures. One or two vistas as well.

Mon May 29 2017

easy to access and some nice sights.

Mon Sep 05 2016

At times it was confusing to follow the trail, but not terrible. At points the trail provided for a more secluded feeling but still fairly close to roads and other places in the park. Not bad for a short hike

Sun Aug 21 2016

Nice trail but really poorly blazed - we couldn't even finish the loop because it got confusing 2/3 in and we turned around.