Learn more

Raccoon Creek Heritage Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(77)
Raccoon Creek State Park

Raccoon Creek Heritage Trail is a 17.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hookstown, Pennsylvania that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 17.2 miles Elevation Gain: 2,706 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Beautiful trail! I hiked the first part until Mineral Springs. Out and back about 9 miles. It really felt like I was going uphill for quite a while, including a real butt-kicker of a hill right at the start. Well marked and pleasant. Once you get away from the road it is very peaceful.

First time visiting Raccoon Creek State Park. We went out early and hiked in the rain for about half the trip. There was nice variety in the train, starting with the steep ascent at the beginning of the trail. The trail was obviously muddy with the rain, and we had trouble crossing a few sections — but this was more because of our want to stay clean than actual uncrossable terrain. We accidentally went further than anticipated, and crossed off the trail going northwards along an unpaved road leading to Cabin Road. From there we hiked along the road until reaching the Lake Trail, which was practically turned into a swamp from the rain. We went all along the Lake Trail until merging with the Forest Trail and heading east along the lake and resting on the dam before taking the short walk back to our car. We hiked about 12 miles total in the day.

We did about two miles in and back. Was muddy but beautiful. A little busy, but it was a beautiful Saturday! Definitely tick season, our dog picked quite a few. Will definitely be back.

We hiked from the start to where the trail crosses Raccoon Creek Rd, which is about halfway and walked along the road to return to the parking lot. This gave us a chance to see the lake, which the Heritage Trail does not get close to. Just an OK trail. It starts off with a nice ascent but not much else after that. Saw some wildflowers and crossed a small creek. Very muddy but it did rain a couple days back. Next time we come to this park, we will try a different trail.

The first climb is really steep but after that it’s a really nice hike with lots of ups and downs. Well marked

beautiful trail. we walked about ten miles into it before realizing it wasn't a loop, but definitely worth it. some traffic. wear bug spray.

Good tail. Marked very well. I kinda made my own loop up but the actual trail would take all day. Dog Friendly .

This trail is just technical enough to be interesting. There are also flat spots that allow your mind to wonder a bit and admire the tall pines. It’s also not so well-known that you’re battling other runners or hikers on the single track portions. Only downside are the selfish dog owners who don’t keep their dogs on a leash.

Sat Feb 23 2019

trail is 18.23 very good hike

Thu Nov 08 2018

Lots to see on this nice length trail.

Thu May 31 2018

Hiked this along with most of the Forest Trail in March and then again in May. Trail was overgrown with vegetation in May especially the section west of Rt. 18. The vegetation really tore up my legs, I would suggest wearing longer pants if doing this trail west of 18 in spring/summer. Several down trees in different areas. Definitely one of the most secluded and challenging hikes you'll get within a 40 minute drive of the Pittsburgh area.

Sun Apr 01 2018

Enjoyed the trail. My fiance n I with our 2 dogs started at the Mineral Spring Trail head by the rangers office n picked up the Heritage Trail. Nice scenery and some good climbs. About 2 1/2 miles in came across a large tree the park must've cut down n left it lay across the trail. Was a bit difficult for the dogs to navigate over but not too bad. Definitely wet n muddy on some down hill. But all in all we had a great time.

Tue Mar 13 2018

Didn’t love this one. Went in March and not much to look at with planes flying overhead fairly often so you don’t get to much of a nature feel. Good practice for the AT though with the steep climbs.

Mon Feb 19 2018

The Heritage trail is beautifully blazed! I made a 5 mile loop starting at Nichol road trailhead, going south on Heritage trail to Buckskin trail, and back out Nichol road. I’m not a fan of “road” hiking, but Nichol is more of a trail than a road. Buckskin trail is a horse trail so blazes are much less frequent, but it’s easy to follow. Only confusing spot was where it appeared there was a double blaze indicating a turn that wasn’t. Looked for it a bit, then decided to stick with the obvious path. The Heritage trail has multiple creek crossings and is wet! Hiking poles are a big help as are waterproof boots. I was able to keep water depth to about ankle deep, but it took a little work. My dog went along and managed well too. Saw a few footprints, but no other hikers til the last 1/4 mile. I hiked another part of Heritage from Racoon park road last week. Again, great trail marking and good scenery. Lots of climb and not so wet on this section. Only met 2 others on the trail this day too.

Mon Oct 23 2017

A lot of diverse greenery

Sat Jul 15 2017

Wanted to run an out and back 18 miler on this and had to turn around 8 miles in due to the insane overgrowth. It slowed me down to a crawl and I deemed it not worth it. I was planning on using this gauge for a potentially backpacking trip but based on the blandness of it and the overgrowth, I'll give it a hard pass. Now I know!

Thu Jun 22 2017

I use this trail for trail running. Once you get to around 6 miles, it starts to get a little thick. Around 9 Miles it's so thick you're basically crawling... it's a good trail otherwise though. Definitely recommend checking out the mineral springs loop around mile 4.

Tue Apr 11 2017