Quebec Run Outer Loop Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(127)
Forbes State Forest

Quebec Run Outer Loop Trail is a 12.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Farmington, Pennsylvania that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and road biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 12.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,860 feet Route Type: Loop

Challenging circut of thedesignated Wild Area (10 miles) This hike takes the long route around the circumference of the Quebec Run Wild Area. Starting closkwise, the Miller Tr. (1 mile) takes you down the hill into the run. You meet the Mill Run Tr. and a short detour across the bridge will take you to the Grist Mill foundations. There are several easy stream crossings and the more difficult ones have bridges. It's 1.5 miles to the bottom of West Rd. The Tebolt Trail (3.9 miles) is a newer trail that is a steady climb up the run. There are several challenging stream crossings and in one case the stream has broken its banks and runs down the trail itself for 100 feet. The Hess Tr. (4.2 miles) has varried terrain with a substantial climb up out of Quebec Run. Legend has it that Confederate raiders hid captured Union gold in a cave above the run and sealed it with a dynamite blast. The "Gold Mine" are numerous pits where searches have dug for the lockbox. No gold has ever been found.

Wonderful long hike! Started going down Miller and ended with Hess as other have suggested to avoid a long hill at the end. No super strenuous climbs. 11.7 not the 12.8 stated. Trail is super well marked and easy to follow.

Great trail, started in Hess and ended with Miller run trail.

I hiked the trail in late April 2020. started at North Parking lot, taking Hess trail in a counterclockwise loop of the wilderness area. Its definitely doable in a day, but I preferred to hike up to mill run and set up camp the first day, then finish up with Miller trail the next day when I'm pretty fresh. There are a few campsites on the trail: one along Hess trail, one along Tebolt trail, and multiple campsites along Mill Run. Dont expect to be solitary if you camp along Mill Run as there are several parking lots within a quick walk of that section.

icy

did this trail yesterday..i use gps tracking and it ended at 12.14miles dispite other reviews..i took advice of another review and started at hess and ended with miller..and it def was a mile straight back up! very nice challenge!! trail is clear..very well blazed..nice up and downs and some crick crossings which may have been more difficult had water been higher..there’s pamphlets at the start showing other trails that go through there but we were there for the 12 miles.. no great views but nice forest changes as you go along

Great trail, been hiking it since before there was a Tebolt Trail. I'm not sure where they came up with 12.8 miles, though, I hiked the entire trail as mapped out, and even added a side hike to the old grist mill, and the distance came out to 11.5 miles, took about 4-1/2 hours hiking time (5:15 with breaks). Trails were in good condition, as were the bridges. Good number of people hiking, and a few camping out overnight.

I’m very glad I did this loop and was very impressed with how well the trail was marked throughout. I would recommend a heavy duty shoe or boot, especially on The Tebolt portion of the trail as it is rocky. As per my Garmin I clocked the entire hike at 10.39 miles with 1919 ft of elevation and 1984 ft of descent making for a great workout. There is no portion of this trail with a great overlooking view but throughout the trail you have stream crossings and other interesting terrain features to look at if you enjoy the oddities in the forest. I have been out here twice in the last week and between both days (including Labor Day), I only saw 5 people in total. As a final note, if you are looking to enjoy a hike, begin the loop at the trail head of Hess and Miller (the parking lot the directions lead you too) and start by going down Miller. If you are looking for a workout begin with Hess. If you begin with Hess and end on Miller your final mile will be a steep uphill climb almost the entire way and is an awesome leg burner.

I saw the trailer for beginners and intermediate. All of the other reviews are accurate, there is great marking of the trails both with paint on trees and signs at the intersections. Quite A lot of gnats and spiderwebs along the trail, but nothing too annoying. I would guess this trail is rated hard only because it is long but there are no technical points to it nor are there any dangerous points. A nice pleasant hike with trail maps at the south parking trail head. This review was from August 21, 2019

My husband and I hiked this trail on August 9th spending 2 nights. We starting out on Miller Trail and hiked to Miller Run Trail. (Beautiful Section) We hiked in about 3 miles or so and found a really nice camp spot along the creek. It got cool that night. Lots of owls. On Saturday we continued on Miller run trail to Tebolt Trail which is a long steady climb. (also very pretty). We then took Hess Trail and hiked a total of about 7.5 miles and found another great campsite. Another beautiful cool night. The next day we hiked out about 2 miles. The GPS showed about 12.3 miles total. All and all this is a hike you have to do. The trails are well marked and the terrain varies on each trail from tall forest trees to loads of Mountain Laurel. We plan on doing it again in the fall starting out on Hess Trail.

This was a very nice day hike on a sunny 80F August Sunday. We walked the trail clockwise so that the return to the parking lot is on the more gradual incline and it was not difficult at all. Not many people were out as we crossed paths with just a couple of hikers in 6 hours of hiking. The trail was very well maintained and the forest varied from section to section to keep it interesting. Blazes and intersections were well marked. Steam crossings were all made with dry feet (no rain in a few days) and almost no mud. Only walked over a handful of small blow downs. All in all, the trail is in excellent shape and there were lots of very nice campsites that looked inviting for a future backpacking visit.

My husband and I had a great hike by starting at the South Gate parking lot and working our way up the East side then shortening the loop by taking Rankin. This is a great trail for dogs on the eastern side especially because of all the water. There was a blowdown by the Rankin/Hess intersection, so be sure not to miss it when you walk around it. All the reviews about Hess are spot-on, but it’s a truly wonderful hiking area. Pristine, we’ll-maintained, and good people on it.

Nice trail. Very well maintained. Trail maps provided at the parking area. Nice camp areas on the creek side. Everything was great on our hike on June 22, 2019 until a giant rattlesnake made his way into our lunch area. Then it got a little scary after that.

Fri May 31 2019

Did this trail with my girlfriend who isn’t too experienced but she made it the whole 12ish miles. Last mile, if ending with miller, was all uphill and a killer but a great hike with great stream views. Only saw 1 other person but was surprised at how well maintained trail is. Definitely bring lots of water, a map, and some food to keep energy up!

Wed Apr 17 2019

Awesome hike. Well marked trail and easy to follow. Recorded around 11 miles when I hiked it.

Sat Apr 13 2019

3rd time I’ve done this loop. Started at the Miller trail and did the whole shebang. Every time I’ve done this trail it has recorded as 13.5 - 14 miles so I feel the 10.5 is low. Different people have been with me and recorded similar distances... Great loop. Varied terrain keeps it interesting. There are some climbs, but if you reasonably fit they are very doable. Today’s hike took us 5 hours and 50 minutes with probably 15 minutes of stops along the way! Highly recommend!

Mon Mar 18 2019

Amazing place with very few people. Very scenic. Will be back several times this year. Well maintained. Didn't have to contort myself to get through anything, which I'm not used to. Did the Quebec outer loop starting at Hess. 10+ miles.

Wed Mar 13 2019

Just down and back for a bit of exercise.

Sat Oct 20 2018

Good hike. The pull up out of there definitely tests your legs. Camp sites along the river are gorgeous...I will have to come back. Be a fun weekender.

Mon Oct 08 2018

Love the trails. Easy to follow with the signs. Camped out with a nice view of the river. Definitely recommend

Mon Jun 25 2018

A friend and I hiked a variation of this loop. We started from the trailhead on Skyline Drive and used Tebolt, Mill Run, Rankin, and Hess to form a loop which recorded as 10.7 miles. It rained off and on all day so trails were muddy with flowing water in some spots. We saw some mountain laurel in bloom along Skyline drive and saw a few rhododendron plants with flowers, but not anywhere near "peak" blooming. A few other bikers and hikers were out and there was a tent pitched along the lower section of Quebec Run south of the bridge to the grist mill ruins. I can't say I've ever had a bad day at Quebec. I've hiked (and backpacked) here in all seasons. It's a real treasure and gets better as the forest matures.

Mon Jun 11 2018

It’s a pretty long loop definitely some struggles on Hess Trail. However, Hess trail was the last trail my wife and I hiked. There are some beautiful stream crossings an abundance of wildlife and plenty of little orange salamanders along the hike. We completed it in a little over 5 hours. I’d recommend looking at the weather first we live in this area and flash floods can happen out of nowhere with a little rain on the mountain.

Mon Jun 04 2018

Took Miller trail to Mill Run Trail and set up camp by rushing water, which was awesome. Lucky for us the rain kept most backpackers away, I can imagine this being a good destination for a lot of people being so close to the city. It's definitely hilly. Not for the faint of heart. We hiked a bit more along Mill Run Trail after setting up camp. In the morning we took Rankin back to Hess to the parking lot so we ended up doing a loop. Highly recommend for a quick getaway!

Mon Apr 09 2018

I am writing a second review on this set of trails. I completed this loop (sort of) for the 2nd time yesterday (Sunday, April 8, 2018). This time, I managed to start on the Miller Trail. Made it to the point where the Miller and Grist Trails converge. We didn't see any signs that indicated a change from the Miller trail to the Grist trail. There did not appear to be an intersection. We somehow managed to come off the Miller Trail and end up on Grist - which ends in a parking lot. We had to backtrack. Then tried to take a shortcut through the woods to get back on Miller (which runs parallel to Grist). We hit Quebec Run Creek - and spent a lot of time trying to cross it (it was high). We finally managed to do that - and get back on Miller - and after that we were fine. The signage in this park needs to be fixed for sure. Hoping this happens now since it is spring.

Mon Mar 26 2018

Awesome Trail! A Friend and I completed this on 3/24/18. We tracked 12.59 miles, not 10.6 But we did mess up at first and headed down the access road instead of Miller Trail. We reconnected with the Miller Run Trail by taking Brocker. That might have made the hike longer. You have to be careful in two places. When you park in the parking lot, the access road is directly in front of you and seems like the logical place to start. Really, Miller trail is off to your left (if you are facing the access road and trail information board). The sign for Miller Trail was missing - but the post was still there. All trails after that were well marked EXCEPT for the Rankin/Hess trail split. Down by Quebec Run (along the stream) the trail splits - you can go straight or left. If you go straight you would be heading onto Rankin Trail, NOT continuing on Hess trail which tracks off to the left. We searched for a sign that had fallen but didn't see one. I've sent a message to the Forbes State forest office, hoping they will fix the signs now that winter is over. Lots of challenging parts to this hike. Lots of rocky stream crossings, and several somewhat steep uphill parts where the terrain was quite rocky. GREAT time. I will definitely do this loop again!

Sun Mar 11 2018

Brought a friend who has never been backpacking for a quick weekend trip and this route worked well. We parked at the north lot and arrived relatively late in the evening but there was a good place to set up camp right at the beginning so it worked out. Water was low but there was still plenty of water available. Relatively easy hiking. Great for new backpackers and a weekend trip.

Wed Dec 20 2017

Great trail that will give you a good sweat even in mid 30’s and sunshine. My girlfriend, dog and I had the whole place to ourselves and it was perfect. It was clearly blazed and the trail was still in good shape even with 2 inches of snow on it. This would be great when the Rhododendrons bloom because we saw bushes everywhere we looked on the main trail. We earned our beers and tacos after this one.