Quebec Run Outer Loop Trail

Quebec Run Outer Loop Trail is a 10.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Farmington, Pennsylvania that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and road biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

1961 feet

Challenging circut of thedesignated Wild Area (10 miles) This hike takes the long route around the circumference of the Quebec Run Wild Area. Starting closkwise, the Miller Tr. (1 mile) takes you down the hill into the run. You meet the Mill Run Tr. and a short detour across the bridge will take you to the Grist Mill foundations. There are several easy stream crossings and the more difficult ones have bridges. It's 1.5 miles to the bottom of West Rd. The Tebolt Trail (3.9 miles) is a newer trail that is a steady climb up the run. There are several challenging stream crossings and in one case the stream has broken its banks and runs down the trail itself for 100 feet. The Hess Tr. (4.2 miles) has varried terrain with a substantial climb up out of Quebec Run. Legend has it that Confederate raiders hid captured Union gold in a cave above the run and sealed it with a dynamite blast. The "Gold Mine" are numerous pits where searches have dug for the lockbox. No gold has ever been found.

I have been hiking here often the past two years. we hiked last on New year's Eve. we were surprised to find a couple of sets of Fisher tracks. we usually end up seeing several types of Warblers and I've spotted several Scarlet Tanagers here as well. the largest creeks have bridge crossings but the smaller ones do not. if you plan on going on a rainy day definitely wear water proof boots, otherwise most crossings can be done without getting your feet very wet. this is definitely a nice place to spend a day in nature. be sure to check out the burn area from thus past spring and get a good idea of how a forest recovers from a burn.

Great trail. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because there are no big views. Besides that it is a great loop with the last part coming up miller trail is awesome climb to end the hike. I also saw a bear on tebolt trail which was great.

These trails are a welcome alternative to the casual hikes that are often crowded at nearby Ohiopyle. It's serene, challenging in spots, and wild; in fact, we came upon a 3-foot timber rattler lying in the middle of Trebolt Trail. We simply took another trail and made our way back to Mill Run via Quebec Road. It's easy to navigate the area now as the parking lots have trail maps. Overall, it was well worth the rutted roads and reptile encounter.

Saturday, August 06, 2016

Beautiful trails to run your dogs.

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

I walked Quebec Run Rd to Tebot trail. It's a gentle and beautiful descent typical of the Laurel Highlands. Liked the looks of the primitive campsites -- especially the one at the intersection of Rankin Trail and Quebec Run Road. An added bonus is that I trimmed the walk down to about 7 miles which is doable. I loved the peaceful Mill Run. My track is uploaded. I would rate this trail as moderate compared to some of the New Hampshire trails I'd traversed, however, Miller Trail is a great work out.

Saturday, December 05, 2015

Ok

Friday, October 30, 2015

I did the counter clockwise loop. The 10.2 isnt accurate. its more like 12-13 miles if you do the entire outer loop. No biggie. The trail was nicely maintained. The trail is definately challenging. The hardest part was the last 2-3 miles on the miller and mill run trail.

Monday, October 12, 2015

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Did the entire loop in 5 hours, mostly moderate trails but The Hess Trail section from Quebec Run on was pretty much all uphill till the end, luckily it was fairly cool or it would have been a bit rough. Nearly every stream I crossed was dry except in the areas that had footbridges early on in the loop and Quebec run so I'd recommend bringing enough water to last you the day. Passed lots of very nice campsites. Only saw one other hiker, although it was a Tuesday and I went early. Also the trailhead is off the beaten path and was a pretty rocky ride even in my jeep,. When I got there, there were no maps at the start. Luckily I had enough cell service to screenshot one from the Internet. Definitely a nice trip though and easy to get to from Pittsburgh.

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Saturday, May 09, 2015

It was a really lovely hike that was a bit of a challenge without being taxing. A lot of it is along water and I would love to go again when its a bit warmer and do some swimming. (there were some nice pools but the dogs in our party were the only ones willing to dive in in April). There were also some good camping/picnic spots. I posted a link that has the trail maps and all of the distances of the different segments, the trails are all clearly signed witch is nice too. Lots of deer trails so I'm sure if you went in the evening or the early morning you'd see some wildlife.

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Sunday, March 15, 2015

Wednesday, January 07, 2015

This is a great trial for a quick overnight and just 20 min. from my home. Well marked and a variety of terrain. The only downside is that it's pretty busy on the weekends during the summer months.