Pulpit Rock is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Hamburg, Pennsylvania that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

partially paved

Pulpit Rock is considered to have some of the best views along the Appalachian Trail in Pennsylvania. Whether you are a thru-hiker or looking for a fun day-hike, this is a nice moderate trail that can be completed by almost any level hiker. The trail starts from the Hamburg reservoir parking area off of Reservoir Road. From the yellow gate follow the gravel road along up to the Appalachian Trail, at which point you will take a sharp left to follow the white blazes through the switch backs. The steep and rocky incline starts about a mile and half or in from the parking area. Once you reach the summit of Pulpit Rock, you will be rewarded by spectacular views. From the summit you have the option to continue on the Appalachian Trail to the Pinnacle, or head back down. You will come down via the woods road marked as a blue trail - it parallels a very nice stream that keeps it cool and peaceful. This is a popular day hike and the parking area fills up quickly. Make sure to arrive at the trailhead early.

Extremely heavily trafficked, but beautiful none the less.

Excellent hike, amazing view from Pulpit Rock. Not too hard. Just right for a morning hike.

I just returned from a very upsetting hike at Pulpit Rock. I can only hope the people involved will see this and choose to reach out, although I realize it's highly unlikely.

I reached the rock with my leashed dog to find a large group of people with about 10+ unleashed dogs. They all came circling back and forth around me and my pet and one dog began to growl and attacked my dog causing several lacerations on her face and eye area.

I should have stayed and gotten information from the people at fault, but I was far too upset, didn't want to risk further injury to my pet, and knew i had to make it down nearly 2 miles to take my dog to the vet. As a responsible pet owner, I am fed up with people's inability to follow the law and leash their pets on this trail.

Everyone thinks their dog is too well behaved to need a leash, but the rules are in place for a reason. I just incurred a hefty bill and nightmare afternoon that could have been avoided had this group of people simply kept their pets leashed.

The hike itself is wonderful, but the popularity of this site means there are many, many people there. Today it was my dog that was attacked, but next time it could be a person or child. Unfortunately, I no longer feel safe hiking this trail due to the entitled nature of those who frequent it.

If anyone was present today, please contact me at chaye405@gmail.com. I did not get any information from the people involved.

Love the temperature. 50°F. Did not like all the rocks. Tried to run down the hill and hurt my ankle. There were Many dogs, I love that! Good view at the top, but only trees and rocks everywhere else. Did not see any wild animals. Disappointed. Over all a good hike, though!

Definitely recommended for families and friends. Moderate hike

Not a super challenging hike, but perfect for a fall afternoon. The view from Pulpit Rock makes this hike worth the 5 stars.

Great hike! Not too steep. Great views once at the top. Watch out for snakes!

Never found the summit. We found 1 sign and then nothing.

Love the hike. It starts as an easy walk on the wooded trail. The last half mile or so got a bit challenging with very rocky uphill hike. However it’s very well marked and nicely maintained. We got soaked by a heavy thunderstorm while admiring the view from Pulpit Rock. We took the gravel road down. It’s not quite as shady so the lingering rain was nice. Will definitely take the hike again and probably go to Pinnacle after.

Great hike and very rocky in some spots! Be watchful for snakes! Beautiful view.

I really enjoyed this hike. I would rate it as moderate in most areas.. with a few spots spiking to medium. Watch your footing and pay attention as copperhead snakes are amongst you. We were lucky enough to see one (without it being a surprise). Beautiful snakes and I heard they typically aren’t a bother to hikers. People passing by on this hike were very helpful, which was refreshing. It’s tough getting to the top, but just follow the white blazes and you will be fine. Most importantly, enjoy the views and don’t get too close to the edge! The rock that says “Pulpit Rock” has a small step down area where you can climb onto the rock.. beware!! That’s where we saw the copperhead slithering through the cracks.

Took the trail up and the road down. The road is much quicker than the trail. There’s a strange astrology site at the top

Beautiful vista, definitely will get the heart rate going on the way up. I recommend combining it to Pinnacle for a loop. Oh, and be prepared for lots of rocks.

Great trail to start my hiking season. Good moderate to difficult trail in some spots. Quite rocky and steep if your into that kind of hike. Pulpit is the "half way" point on your way up to Pinnacle Peak...great place to stop and have some lunch before continuing on. Watch out for snakes!! Didn't see any this past weekend, however we saw quite a few last season! Enjoy but be careful!

I am used to hiking the NY Adirondack mountains. This was not as challenging but nice start to my hiking year. Nice views. We opted to help me up the gravel road and down the white blaze trail back. I would do this route again to avoid the pounding pavement on my knees on the way down or I would go up and down the same path through the white blazes. Great hike for dogs as not alot of challenging obstacles. Would be a great hike for younger kids as well.

Very excellent hike. Going to the right on the way up was the way to go. Definitely check out the spillway on the way down. It's to the right, and a little off the trail, but worth the jaunt. I loved that there was still snow on the ground and you could see through the trees. It is about an hour drive from where I live, and I love to drive, so it was the perfect trip. I will definitely be going back to check out the colors of Autumn.

love this hike but watch out for snakes. I always see atleast one while at the view!!!

Moderate Trail, quick 1-3 hour afternoon trip. I've done it now about 7 times, and the less people the better. Go in the fall or early spring for less people.

Friday, November 17, 2017

Had a good hike. ALERT...stay to the right and go counter clockwise on this loop. If you go left you hike a steep incline on black top and gravel. Then the decline is over rocky terrain after Pulpit Rock. Much nicer hike walking up the rocks and descending on the road.

ALERT...take care leaving Pulpit Rock. We followed the white blazes up but if you follow them after Pulpit Rock you wont end up at the same parking area. Using the mobile app allowed us to catch our mistake....hiked about 1/2mile out of our way and back....was ok though. Would have been bad if we didnt catch our mistake.

Took our Yorkie on this hike. She did fine except had to carry her over the large boulders closest to Pulpit Rock.

Wednesday, November 08, 2017

It was sleeting on the way up which just added to the excitement of nature’s unpredictable tendencies around us. When making it to the observatory there were a number of deer to greet us as well. Not an overly challenging hike, but a very worthwhile and enjoyable one!

Sunday, November 05, 2017

Be sure to follow the trail to the right when you have the option to choose (up hill from the parking area). The direction will take you up a forested path which ends with a climb up some rocky terrain. It’s easier to climb up the rocks than to descend down over them. Pulpit Rock isn’t far from where the challenging rocky area begins - it’s a nice reward.

Sunday, October 22, 2017

It was really fun and challenging towards the top! But the way down we took the gravel road and the view up top was beautiful

Sunday, October 22, 2017

I found it to be a little of a challenge, but I'm not in the best shape either. Took a few water breaks though and made it through. Our dog loved it but i can't imagine a small dog being able to make it on some of the larger rocks. We did the loop. They are right... rocks or steep road, pick your poison. Would do it again. We had fun and I am proud of myself for finishing it. Took us about 3 hours taking our time.

Monday, October 09, 2017

What a great hike. Took my dog and had a lovely afternoon

Tuesday, September 05, 2017

Great moderate trail with spectacular views. Suggest staying to the right through the woods when hiking this trail. If you hike to the left, the hiking path is asphalt and gravel road with steep slope. While both offer challenge, the hike through the woods provides both challenge and equal recovery.

You won't go wrong with either after reaching the overlook. This was my 3rd hike to PR and had seen several copper head and rattle snakes among the rocks at the overlook which was pretty cool. The snakes were docile and sunny themselves on or between the rocks.

Monday, September 04, 2017

Awesome incline

Thursday, August 03, 2017

Tackled this one today. First hike in a little bit. This one got the muscles moving, though. Made the counter clockwise loop from the parking lot to the rocks. Absolutely beautiful up there and I was lucky enough to have it all to myself for twenty minutes or so. After that, I headed over for a nice break on the nice green grass of the observatory in some shade. Too bad it wasn't open. I would like to see that. The road down from the observatory is steep. I'd actually argue that it's more difficult going down the road than up to the rocks. Your muscles just feel engaged the entire time. Still, fun hike.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Monday, July 10, 2017

Spectacular view on Pulpit Rock!

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Enjoyed it. Much more fun near the top in the rocks. Took it counter clockwise with the kids. 3 and 5yr old.