Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Pinchot Trail - North

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(124)
Lackawanna State Forest

Pinchot Trail - North is a 10.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Gouldsboro, Pennsylvania that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, camping, and backpacking and is best used from March until August. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 10.1 miles Elevation Gain: 839 feet Route Type: Loop

Vista with observation deck, rhododendron forest, varied ecosystems and terrain. With numerous side trails, the possibilities for exploring the 23+ miles of Lackawanna State Forest's Pinchot Trail system are plentiful. There are several wet spots, as well a few rocky areas, so bring proper footwear. Also, a few of the trails pass near, and occasionally through, private land. Please respect the rights of local landowners, and stay on the marked trails. The lookout tower on top of Big Pine Hill is accessible by road, so expect to have company, especially during the weekend. NOTE: A sign at the trailhead says that the Pinchot Trail is blazed blue, when in fact most of the blue blazes have been painted over in ORANGE.

West of the creek-crossing is mostly functional: not much to see, but I enjoyed hiking through the woods. Saw bear tracks across the trail mud on the eastern side: just a warning to definitely store your food safely if you’re backpacking overnight.

flooded

private property

4 stars more for the eastern side of this loop. Unless you are looking to cover the entire Pinchot Trail system, I wouldn't recommend or bother with the west side of this loop (or at least once Scrub Oak Trail ends). The low scratchy shrubbery on White Line Trail is much more overgrown and there isn't much of anything about it scenery-wise to make the hike worth it. Could probably just jump onto Pittson Rd and take Bear Swamp Trail back as an early loop alternative (very wide grassy trail). Blazing is good on all the trails. The trail is also very narrow type throughout most of the loop.

I would never take the Waters trail again very over grown. Over all the trail was very rocky.

We took our kids 6 and 9. It was a bit much for the little one. The only bad part of the trip was our dog rolled in a pile of human poop. We played keep away for the next 2 miles until we could washer her off. We camped at the first spot across the river it was kind of a peninsula we loved it. The hike out the trails where a little over grown but not bad. Trail was very well blazed through out. We camped here because it said it was lightly traveled and being it was Columbus weekend the best bet to have a little privacy. We saw a decent amount of people but all where pleasant and we all kept our distance. As others have stated no big vistas nothing really to show off but when your with people you love it’s just great to be out in the woods.

I love this trail. I take the snow mobile trail in off of Tannery Road, but turn off at the Choke Creek Nature Trail. It's a thin trail with a lot of overgrowth, but pretty. Once you meet up with the creek, the sound of burbling water follows you. I like to camp at the first campsite along the river. There's a fire pit and a bench that someone made eons ago, and it overlooks a beautiful bend in the creek. There are others further along, but this is my favorite.

This trail is generally what you read in reviews but I think it’s beautiful in its own right. There’s no vast overlooks but there’s also no crowds of people shuffling to get their Instagram photos. It’s overgrown but that adds to the adventure (just wear pants). Treat your clothes with permethrin and you’ll have a much better time with ticks. Stop every now and then and appreciate how much beautifully dense Pennsylvania forest is around you. It doesn’t always come out in pictures but when you’re under those pines with ferns as far as you can see, it can be a breathtaking experience. Take only pictures, leave only footprints!

I saw this trail for the first time while backpacking. did not care for this hike at all. Muddy, rocky, overgrown, boring, nothing beautiful about it IMO. Would not go again and there are not many trails I would say that about. I don’t need anything spectacular, I love being in the woods but this was horrible as far as I’m concerned.

Sat May 25 2019

Make sure if you plan on camping on this trail, that you set up camp at the creek at the halfway point. We decided to keep going and look for another spot to camp, with a water source. We ended up not finding any and having to scramble the last 3 miles to get back to car before dark. Making what could have been a relaxing afternoon a pretty horrible evening. The trail is overgrown in a lot spots and between the 2 of us, we had 7 or 8 ticks on us. Not a bad hike, but just be prepared.

Sat May 11 2019

Do not liked it at all. Was on May 11, toooons of bugs, wet land and muddy ( esp. bear swamp trail ) Got all shoes wet . Not picturesque