Pike to Bike Trail

Pike to Bike Trail is a 8.5 mile point-to-point trail located near Breezewood, Pennsylvania and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, road biking, and mountain biking and is best used from March until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Point to Point

Four Lanes of Superhighway now dedicated to non-motorized traffic. Also known as the Superhighway Trail, this section of the Pennsylvania Turnpike abandoned in 1968 is now uniquely dedicated to non-motorized use. Originally planned to be a railroad throughway in 1883, it has the gentle grade common to rail trails. It also has both the shortest and longest tunnels on the original 1940 Turnpike. Neither of the tunnels have lights so bike headlamps are important. In the spring and fall you might want to take a jacket because, while it may be warm outside, it will still be cold in the tunnels. Watch for pillars of ice in the winter. The "trail" surface is 4 lanes of turnpike concrete 6 inches thick overlaid with asphalt. 36 years of disuse means that there are plenty of cracks. The upper quarter inch of asphalt seems to have pulled away in many places. The westbound lanes seem in better shape overall than eastbound.

I have done this trail 2x once only half way walking and once on bike the entire trail. Every time I go I see something else I wasn't to explore.

always a good time

be careful. .. 2nd darker tunnel has possible strip to pop bike tires and experienced 2 seedy characters after going thru 1st tunnel

Awesome bike or hike. We biker from Breezewood to Houstontown where it ties back into the turnpike. Roughly 13 miles each way. Absolutely worth the trip, but it is a leg killer on a bike. Would definitely do it again.

Road is very broken up and there is so much graffiti. Also, trail is more medium, not easy. We still had fun though

We had one on a mountain bike, and one on a road bike. The road bike did okay on the rough stuff, it's not too bad, but it'll slow you down in places. There's enough smooth pavement that I had trouble keeping up with the leisurely pace of a road bike at times Very good scenery for a Fall ride, the shorter tunnel wasn't too bad, the longer one smelled like a chimney, probably due to the campers we saw still camped by the entrance. Overall it's a nice ride, no worries about traffic and nothing too challenging.

rails trails
Monday, October 17, 2016

Embarrassingly, my first ride on Pike2Bike, as I live less than 20 miles away. It was a beautiful day to ride. Trail use was moderate. The pavement is crumbling badly in places. This was not a problem on my hybrid, but I wouldn't ride a road bike on this trail.
The obvious attraction to riding this trail is riding through the two tunnels. A good light is mandatory for riding through the Sideling Hill Tunnel. At 6,782', it is very dark and towards the middle there is no light from either portal. The Rays Hill Tunnel is shorter and not as dark. For some reason, there are pallets laying on the roadway in both tunnels.
Overall, this is a nice ride. The width of the trails virtually assures that you will not have conflicts with other riders or hikers.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Beautiful scenery all around to see. Fun going through the tunnels. It was a cool fall day to do so. The road is a little rough, but still maneuverable. The on ramp at Raystown was very steep, but that was the only drawback. Stayed overnight at Woy Bridge Campground which is a beautiful, quiet spot with campsites and cabins right along the Raystown branch of the Juniata River. Only a short distance to the start of the trail. The owner was very helpful and hospitable. Other bike trails are not far away.

Saturday, September 03, 2016

took my 9 year old daughter did both tunnels we enjoyed it

Saturday, September 03, 2016

Saturday, July 09, 2016

Monday, July 04, 2016

My family did the first tunnel hike. The round trip is 5 miles. Our next trip will be on bikes to do both tunnels.

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Monday, May 09, 2016

Sunday, October 11, 2015

I have been to this area numerous times and every time I come back there is always something new and different to experience. While the trail used to be part of the PA turnpike, I would not recommend bringing a street bike onto this trail. The road is badly broken up making it better for a mountain bike. The trail passes through the old Sideling Hill and Rays Hill tunnels, so make sure you bring a headlamp and/or a flashlight if you are traveling through them. Also, keep in mind that these tunnels are not maintained and, as such, there is some risk involved and, if you have children, quite a bit of profane graffiti on the walls.

This is definitely worth the trip out if you can make it to hike or bike. Its not everyday you get to see a relic of our society and feel the erie emptiness of traveling into a tunnel with no end in sight. 5/5 from me for its uniqueness.