Peters Mountain Ridge via Appalachian Trail

Peters Mountain Ridge via Appalachian Trail is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Reed Twp, Pennsylvania that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

Central Pennsylvania Appalachian Trail Nice hike on the Appalachian Trail, to reach the top of Peters mountain. The trail starts just past the railroad tracks and is a somewhat steep climb up. As you skirt the side of the mountain on the way up, you will have wonderful views of the Susquehanna river below. Once you get so far up, the trail will start to flatten out. As you near the edge of the mountain, the trail again starts to get steep. You will encounter a few switchbacks and vistas as you near the summit. The trail continues north on the mountain top from here. As always look for the white blazes.

Beautiful views

First know that the traffic noise will NOT diminish as you ascend, like I was hoping. Even at the summit you will hear the highway. That being said, it's a pleasant hike, the woods are beautiful and I love the rocky spine-walking at the top. I found it impossible to locate the trail down to complete the loop so it turned into an out-and-back hike. Views of the river are nice but somewhat obstructed, I can't imagine how you'd see much of anything when the leaves are on the trees. I probably wouldn't hike this again due to the road noise.

The trail was well blazed, even with all the switchbacks. I was able to get a great view of the river (although not quite photo friendly), but I could clearly hear the traffic the entire time. The path goes over rocks for a good portion of the trail, so just watch your footing with all the fallen leaves if you go during this time of year.

It's a decent hike, but it just didn't give me the views that I'm used to seeing on other hikes. So my expectations is what really what let me down. I did wander quite a bit from the trail too, it's fairly easy to find your way back.

Beautiful fall hike!

This is a great hike on the AT. cool views of the river and the kids had fun climbing around on the rocks. We made this a loop. Check out my full review which includes directions and other things to look out for.

Great trail for central PA! I read a lot of views saying the trees obstructed views. To an extent yes, however, I found plenty of great spots where there is a nice view (pictures are uploaded). If you have some experience, don't be afraid to wonder a bit off the path and climb onto a large rock.

It was a bit challenging at times but overall doable. I would rate this on the higher end of "moderate". It does get step and is very rocky, but there are plenty of leveled flat areas as well.

Directions: From parking lot, cross road and cross railroad tracks. You will see trail marker for the white Appalachian. Follower white markers up and around the moutain on this trail until you hit the blue marked susquehanna trail. Take this back down to the white trail and continue back to parking lot. It is well marked and pretty easy to follow.

Views were a little obstructed by trees. Be aware that basically the entire top of the ridge is a rock scramble and be prepared for that. Also ran across several copperheads along the rocks during midday, so watch your step!

Great hike. we started out early morning, 4am. definitely need boots here.

Excellent day hike! Great views. Wasn't expecting rock scrambles, so be aware there is mild climbing involved. Rock faces are super cool at the summit. Can't wait to come back in the Fall. We got of Trail a bit and ran into a snake, so keep your eyes on the blazes.This was very clean. No trash or garbage.

Could be a bit rigorous for kids. Pretty steep, rocky and skinny trail on the way home.

Nice hike. Not too hard, just take your time. only 1 or 2 places where you have to climb over a few big rocks. Not too many good views in June, but there were a few of the river. First half or so is all up hill, but by using switch backs, it makes it manageable. I really enjoyed it because it wasn't too easy but yet not too tough (I am a 56 male in normal 56 male shape :) and not an experienced hiker).

I will definitely do this again.

Great trail. Well maintained. Thank you trail workers. But I would rate harder than moderate. Be sure to wear hiking shoes. There is a bit of climbing involved.

Was a good challenge and distance. Beautiful view. Was able to do it with my wife, 1yo in back pack and our dog however, was somewhat difficult. Had to climb rocks at a few areas. If you bring dog make sure they are pretty nimble. Took about 2.5 hours.

Parking was tough to figure out. The lot is not marked, and neither is the direction you need to go in to pick up the trail.
You DEFINITELY need to bring water and snacks. It's not a quick hike. It's not an easy hike. 75% of the hike is traversing rock. It's not for the faint hearted either; a lot of the paths are 1 person deep (only) with STEAP drop off's.

The views are incredible and well worth it!
Completed it in two myself. I do not recommend doing it alone, lol. Way too many rocks to do it alone, unless you're a seasoned hiker.

Great views of the river all around. This is one of my favorite trails in the area.

Nice moderate hike that intersects with the Susquehanna trail. Beautiful 360 view just after mile 2 if the trees are bare. It's quite rocky at the top, probably not suitable for kids. Be mindful of the switchbacks.

deffinately worth the hike not bad dogs loved it

Wednesday, March 08, 2017

Great hike with my two friends, jas and laurel. Moderately difficult bc of the rocks and vertical rise. We stopped at the top of Peters mountain ridge to make coffee about 300m or so from the junction with the Susquehanna trail. There was a clearing in the trees so we were able to see the bridge and Susquehanna river. Beautiful. Hiked out at dusk and actually, it was very nice. Didn't use headlamps until near the very end. All stars were out during our walk to the parking lot and it were nice to see. Venus, Orion, Taurus, and Pleiades were very bright. Highly recommended.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

The trail was fun, but you can hear cars in the distance most of the time. Probably best to go in the fall if you're looking for views as trees obstruct all the lookout areas.

Friday, September 02, 2016

Great trail. Varied terrain. Would give it 5 stars but the traffic noise for the first half mile or so. After that it's great.

Saturday, July 16, 2016

It's was awesome! It was my first hike in 25 years. My 24 year old daughter and I found it perfectly enjoyable and challenging. Look forward to more adventures in pa.

Friday, July 15, 2016

One of my favorite local dayhikes. I love the combination of steep strenuous climbs, followed by easy strides, mixed with several amazing views

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

this is a strenuous trail but the view is well worth the climb. right now I am sitting on a rock overlooking the valley and the river and I can see the susquehanna statue of liberty in the distance. nice.

Tuesday, June 07, 2016

Loved the variance of terrain. Some spots were rocky, others were clear. Nice hike in a couple hours and great views over the Susquehanna

Friday, May 27, 2016

Lots of uphill and lots of rocks (it is PA after all). A good afternoon hike that will get you breathing heavy if you're not in tip top shape. There is shelter with a privy and spring where you can refill your water cache at the top. All in all, it was definitely an enjoyable hike.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Nice rock scramble. You can make this a loop with the susquehanna trail. Clark's shelter and privy at end.

Monday, May 09, 2016

The trail is very well marked and not very difficult. The views from the top were amazing. Along the way up you pass a stone foundation and the remains of stone fencing which is intriguing. There are also some nice ferns and wild flowers. The only negatives are the road noise which can be heard for about half of the hike and the abundance of poison ivy that you have to be mindful of. The views are definitely worth the risk though. My family had a great time on this hike.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Great Trail! Little rocky for the dogs but still a great challenging hike.

Thursday, March 10, 2016

I absolutely love this trail! a good hike starting in the morning, hit the shelter for a quick break then back out to the Clarks ferry bridge.