Old Loggers Path

Old Loggers Path is a 27.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ralston, Pennsylvania that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great three day loop in a very remote part of Pennsylvania. Miles and miles of beautiful forest, well established campsites. Typically plentiful water although can dry up in fall or drought conditions. Great vistas and two brand new shelters. If blissful peace and nature is what you seek, seek no longer. You’ve found your trail.

Solo hiked this trail from 4:30 pm on August 24, 2017 and finished up around 5:30 pm on the 26th. I did this trail once before in October of 2015, to say the area was hit by some bad storms would be an understatement. In Masten whole roads have been washed away along with bridges and houses. Surprisingly the trail was in decent shape for the most part. Two great new shelters have been added since my last time there and they're quite nice. The trail is blazed well and water is plentiful. Definitely has some challenging sections and beautiful views. This was the first trail I went backpacking on and I think it's a good trail for someone looking to see if backpacking is for them. Just challenging enough to test your limits. Will most likely do this trail for a third time.

nice three day hike

CW Southern loop using washed out Pleasant Stream Road as a connector. oOne very steep hill approaching Sharp Top Vista. Camp sites near streams can flood during heavy rains. Very nice trail. Loved it.

When you miss the connector trail...

This hike was terrific! It was a challenge and I would not recommend this for someone trying just a day hike, though some say they have done it in one day... I find that had to believe after finishing. If it can be done in one day that leaves no time for some of the wonderful views and swimming areas it has to offer. I am not what you would call an experienced hiker but I have done a few. The uphill climbs are rough too say the least but so worth it in the end. The trail is blazed wonderfully. We ( my husband and I ) do plan to come back but to take areas off to the side we didn't realize were there. This was probably one of the toughest yet most rewarding hike I have done. Am experience I am glad I had and won't soon forget! The gps showed 28.86 miles in the end. Awesome trail with an awesome trail mate to keep me going!

I've done this trail twice now. First time I followed the maps course of going counter clockwise and this past time I went clockwise which I found much easier. I actually through hiked the trail in under 12 hours. If you can find a spot to camp along Rock Run make the effort to stay along one of the most beautiful trout streams in PA there is!

Monday, September 12, 2016

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Great loop. Was rainy and wet when we did it, the trail was a river. Banged it out as an overnight. Not so many great views but great forest and numerous campsites. One tricky stream crossing late in the first day but probably wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't raining. Easily found a log to cross on.

Friday, July 29, 2016

Very well marked and maintained trail. Be warned that it is very very dry this summer. We hiked clockwise from Masten. Between Pleasant Stream (around mile 10) and Yellow Dog Run (around mile 20) almost all the streams have dried up. Get water when you can. We also saw a couple rattlesnakes up at Big Rocks. The highlight for us was Sharp Top Vista where we camped on our first night.

Monday, July 18, 2016

The views from the vistas were breathtaking at the least! The path was marked very well, and a moderate hike. Watch for Timber rattle snakes by Big Rock vista. Encountered 6 of them. My only complaint is that the trail is advertised at 23-25 miles depending on the site but it is actually 29.98 (as per GPS tracking) so plan accordingly and bring enough water!

Monday, July 18, 2016

Beautiful views from the vistas! We did Old Loggers Path. The path was well marked and easy to follow. It was a moderate path to hike but be warned! It is NOT a 25.3 mile loop. Our GPS tracked us at 29.98 so plan accordingly. If we go back, we definitely will make two days of the hike. Also watch for Timber Rattle snakes, we encountered 6 by Big Rock vista

Thursday, June 02, 2016

Monday, April 18, 2016

Tuesday, April 05, 2016

Getting ready to do this trail April 15 2016. Any suggestions.

Monday, March 28, 2016