Old Loggers Path

Old Loggers Path is a 27.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ralston, Pennsylvania that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October.

When you miss the connector trail...

This hike was terrific! It was a challenge and I would not recommend this for someone trying just a day hike, though some say they have done it in one day... I find that had to believe after finishing. If it can be done in one day that leaves no time for some of the wonderful views and swimming areas it has to offer. I am not what you would call an experienced hiker but I have done a few. The uphill climbs are rough too say the least but so worth it in the end. The trail is blazed wonderfully. We ( my husband and I ) do plan to come back but to take areas off to the side we didn't realize were there. This was probably one of the toughest yet most rewarding hike I have done. Am experience I am glad I had and won't soon forget! The gps showed 28.86 miles in the end. Awesome trail with an awesome trail mate to keep me going!

I've done this trail twice now. First time I followed the maps course of going counter clockwise and this past time I went clockwise which I found much easier. I actually through hiked the trail in under 12 hours. If you can find a spot to camp along Rock Run make the effort to stay along one of the most beautiful trout streams in PA there is!

Great loop. Was rainy and wet when we did it, the trail was a river. Banged it out as an overnight. Not so many great views but great forest and numerous campsites. One tricky stream crossing late in the first day but probably wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't raining. Easily found a log to cross on.

Very well marked and maintained trail. Be warned that it is very very dry this summer. We hiked clockwise from Masten. Between Pleasant Stream (around mile 10) and Yellow Dog Run (around mile 20) almost all the streams have dried up. Get water when you can. We also saw a couple rattlesnakes up at Big Rocks. The highlight for us was Sharp Top Vista where we camped on our first night.

Monday, July 18, 2016

The views from the vistas were breathtaking at the least! The path was marked very well, and a moderate hike. Watch for Timber rattle snakes by Big Rock vista. Encountered 6 of them. My only complaint is that the trail is advertised at 23-25 miles depending on the site but it is actually 29.98 (as per GPS tracking) so plan accordingly and bring enough water!

Monday, July 18, 2016

Beautiful views from the vistas! We did Old Loggers Path. The path was well marked and easy to follow. It was a moderate path to hike but be warned! It is NOT a 25.3 mile loop. Our GPS tracked us at 29.98 so plan accordingly. If we go back, we definitely will make two days of the hike. Also watch for Timber Rattle snakes, we encountered 6 by Big Rock vista

Thursday, June 02, 2016

Monday, April 18, 2016

Tuesday, April 05, 2016

Getting ready to do this trail April 15 2016. Any suggestions.

Monday, March 28, 2016

Friday, January 01, 2016

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Thursday, October 15, 2015

This is an amazing area. There are great day hikes, plenty of parking area, and several great lookouts and views. Take a minute to take it in and breathe in some nature. This entire trail is full of hills. The usual PA terrain. It's moderate to fairly strenuous, and isn't a leisurely hike. Wear sturdy shoes. Most sections had moving water for drinking in October, but the park office said the water levels were low this season. From the photos I've seen I could tell they were low. The trail is very well marked with orange blazes. Contact the park office (570-946-4049) to check trail conditions, and they even mailed me a trail map for free. Very helpful staff. If you hike the off season, October to the spring some time, you need to call the office a day or 2 prior to your hike to make sure you can have fires.

The Trip:
We drove in on Thursday night, and setup camp in the dark. If you come in from the north on Masten Road it will take you right to the parking area. There are 2 parking areas. One west, and one east in the ghost town. We parked at the west one, which has tent camping right across the road. Very convenient. If you look at the map (http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/groups/public/documents/document/dcnr_20027896.pdf) it's the one labeled "Masten Ghost Town Start". Nice facilities.

Day1:(11.5 miles) Up Bright and early Friday morning. We brought extra car camping gear for that first morning, and left it in the car for our hike.It's nice to start out with a full, hot breakfast on a cool morning. We then packed up, and hit the trail.

We started from the camp site, and ended at mile 11.54 on the map going counterclockwise. There's a small area there with a fire pit. There are other larger areas at the 10.05mile area. Due to some confusion of mileage with a track I uploaded to my Garmin, which started at the ghost town, I was off by a mile. Which is why we ended at 11 miles versus 10. No big deal, but be sure you know which start point your directions start from. Day 1 was quite a long day, and we got to camp around 6pm. Fire, fluids, food, then hit the sack.

Day2:(9 miles) Started at 11.54, ended 20.5. Due to the extra mile on day 1, we had one less to put in on day 2. Good thing... I was toast. Another long section of hills and rocks. This section seemed like we covered so much distance, but as I checked we were constantly surprised by how slow we were actually moving. It feels like a fast hike, but you just don't make any distance. At mile 16.8 there's a "NO BRIDGE" on the map. This is where you see the photos of people crossing the river on the trees. We hiked quite a bit in both directions, but nothing looked good. Perhaps the nimble, sure footed hikers can take the packs across of the less steady hikers. If the water is a bit lower toss some rocks from the shore and make a path to cross. Consider your options. Wet feet? Fall off the log and get all wet and maybe injure something? Be ready for this one.

The camp spot at 20.5 is a fantastic site. nice area, great fire pit. Just hope it's available.

Day3:(7 miles) Camp at 20.5 back to the car. This page says 23.7 miles, but it's actually 27.3 miles. The last 7 miles out are quite nice, and if you get up and go end the day fairly early. Just keep an eye in that switch back hill climb at mile 22 that just seems to keep going and going. Once you clear that it's smooth sailing from there. You pop out at the ghost town, and have an easy mile back to the parking.

Tuesday, October 06, 2015

Let me just start out by saying that this was a fantastic trip and I would recommend this trail to beginners, novice, or experienced. The trail is mostly easy but does have some moderately challenging areas. There were great views from high vistas, plenty of water from streams, and no shortage of campsites. All in all, I think it's a fantastic trail.

I drove 5 1/2 hours to get the trail head which is tucked away down a few dirt roads. There is plenty of parking available making it very easy to identify the area as the trail head. There were a couple of surprisingly very clean and well kept up Port-O-Johns for last minute go time. I went in early October and was one day after some real heavy downpours so most things were wet, but nothing was soggy. Water is not much of a concern since there are so many streams to collect water from. The trail is excellently marked and kept up making it a breeze to stay on the path. Trees that had fallen down across the path had already been cut and the way was always clear to get through. Those who take care of the trail do a wonderful job and I am grateful for their diligent hard-work.

I took my sweet ol-time since it was my first time on this trail and spent 3 nights and 4 days on the trail even tho others can complete it in 1-2 days. There are so many areas with beautiful views including where I spent the first night at Sprout Point Vista. I highly recommend taking the time to veer off onto the short side trail that leads to this vista. The highlight for me of the whole trail was at the confluence of Yellow Dog Run and Rock Run. An especially gorgeous area with lots of camp sites available. If you want a map and trail guide with all of the notes about where to camp, all the best views, and what to expect at every turn, Dave Gantz has put together a great little book titled "Old Loggers Path Guide". I would recommend spending the few dollars it costs to acquire.

I hope to make it an annual trip, there are many more beautiful sights and this is a great trail to enjoy.

Sunday, April 26, 2015

A mostly moderate with many easy miles but also has some more challenging and steep inclines which can be tough if using a large pack or not in shape or used to hiking. Most of the difficult segments do not last very long but one is better described as challenging and has a very large increase in elevation is quite steep, but does not last too long but is long and steep enough that people who may not by physically in shape or used to pushing themselves may want to do the trail in the opposite direction. It is the most challenging part and is many miles into day one. There are a couple other spots that may be moderate but not quite as steep or as long or difficult. Definitely not near as challenging as the first steep incline. It's an amazing weekender or one nighter depending on what you want, but like 8 or so amazing vistas, the camp site for night one is not bad, easy trout fishing right next to it if you need some food. The camp for the second night of making a weekend and taking your time is a beautiful picturesque spot where the yellow dog converges with rock run and has so much beauty, some water falls and is amazing swimming holes and is a great way to cool off, but none of that descriptions or pictures come close to actually describing this location, and it's beauty. The waterfalls, swimming holes and natural beauty are worth the trip alone, but a couple of the vistas magnificent as well. Then when you wake up you have a mostly easy and quick 6 or 7 mile hike out which is quite easy going and can be done pretty quickly at a brisk pace of needed. I have done a lot of hiking in many states and this is one of my favorite 2-3 day trails. About 30 miles, a couple of challenging parts with steep incline but only one is a little long, and just so magnificent of a hike with many amazing scenes of nature that no pictures can describe or give it the justice it deserves. I would recommend this to any experienced hikers and even inexperienced ones that are in ok shape, it is easy to follow and stay on the very well marked and maintained path.

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

This was an awesome trip. We completed the trail in clockwise fashion. Very easy first day of hiking. Day 2 was a tough one; multiple stream crossings, lost of elevation gain, and rain made for a very tiring day. Last day was awesome.