Old Loggers Path

Old Loggers Path is a 27.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ralston, Pennsylvania that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

6/18 - 6/20 Group hike with 3 adults and 4 teens, completed north loop CCW ( Masten to Pleasant stream road ) with 2 nights in camps. Got to see black bear within first 5 min. on the trail. Be sure to watch for rattlers at the rock outlooks. Also saw 1 on trail. Well brazed and easy to follow for the most part. A great hike with some moderate challenges, and mosquitoes.

Definitely one of my favorite hikes I've done and I have done hikes all over the world. There's nothing overly spectacular about the hike however the seclusion and silence of the hike makes you really feel as though you are disconnected from the world. Not to mention I only saw 2 other people for 3 days! It a fair amount but nothing I couldn't handle.

I did the whole loop trail going CCW starting at Masten this past Memorial Day weekend. I started hiking around 1 pm Saturday and finished around 5 pm on Monday.

It’s been a wet spring and as you might expect the trail was muddy in spots and running with water where springs cross the trail.

Around mile 17 of the loop you must Ford a creek. Picking my way across the stones I was no more than 6-10” deep but the current was not gentle.

There were a fair amount of downed trees on the trail but none that were too hard to get over or around.

The grade of the trail is generally moderate but there were a couple more challenging sections. I did encounter one several hundred foot section of trail with about a 60 to 70 degree incline that was basically a mudslide in the damp conditions with very few stable footholds - I cursed my way to the bottom but no bones were broken.

To get there, I was driving from the south and had to do some backtracking to find a route to Masten. Several roads have been closed and cell service is pretty bad in the area so GPS rerouting was a problem. From 87 I was able to take Hooplestown Rd to Cabbage Hollow Rd to Lutz Rd and follow Cascade Rd through several turns to Hillsgrove Rd which ends in a large pile of rocks you must hike over to get to the Old Loggers Path trail.

We did the 16 mile half loop to the South. The town at the bottom was totally washed out and the hike is pretty decently steep from the south start. We were able to camp near the summit on the South end and it was beautiful to watch the fog lift off the valley as we sipped coffee. We had to cross the river/creek in the middle wet as there was no crossing and we almost got lost trying to find the road out. Like others mentioned it is completely washed out and you have to hike up a road that is not really there anymore. All in all the wife and I really enjoyed the views and the deep forest you get into most of the way. Water was plentiful for us but the bugs were a little extreme.

We arrived too late to do the loop so we did a 15 mile out and back with an overnight. The first few miles follow old logging roads (as the trail name suggests), but once you get off those roads it's a pretty forest hike. We had a great night at a campsite by the stream.

Note that you shouldn't approach the trailhead on Pleasant Stream Road from the east-- the road and bridge are washed out and the trailhead parking lot can't be reached from this direction.

Just got back from 2 nights on the loop and had a great time. It was sunny and 55 hiking Saturday and on Monday morning we woke up to 4 inches of snow. A little bit of everything.

There was a nice new shelter at Doe Run we stayed in one night.

Great hike all around.

Great loop, Well marked!
Even got a little swim in during the the trail run!!

Great three day loop in a very remote part of Pennsylvania. Miles and miles of beautiful forest, well established campsites. Typically plentiful water although can dry up in fall or drought conditions. Great vistas and two brand new shelters. If blissful peace and nature is what you seek, seek no longer. You’ve found your trail.

Solo hiked this trail from 4:30 pm on August 24, 2017 and finished up around 5:30 pm on the 26th. I did this trail once before in October of 2015, to say the area was hit by some bad storms would be an understatement. In Masten whole roads have been washed away along with bridges and houses. Surprisingly the trail was in decent shape for the most part. Two great new shelters have been added since my last time there and they're quite nice. The trail is blazed well and water is plentiful. Definitely has some challenging sections and beautiful views. This was the first trail I went backpacking on and I think it's a good trail for someone looking to see if backpacking is for them. Just challenging enough to test your limits. Will most likely do this trail for a third time.

nice three day hike

CW Southern loop using washed out Pleasant Stream Road as a connector. oOne very steep hill approaching Sharp Top Vista. Camp sites near streams can flood during heavy rains. Very nice trail. Loved it.

Friday, July 14, 2017

When you miss the connector trail...

Saturday, July 08, 2017

This hike was terrific! It was a challenge and I would not recommend this for someone trying just a day hike, though some say they have done it in one day... I find that had to believe after finishing. If it can be done in one day that leaves no time for some of the wonderful views and swimming areas it has to offer. I am not what you would call an experienced hiker but I have done a few. The uphill climbs are rough too say the least but so worth it in the end. The trail is blazed wonderfully. We ( my husband and I ) do plan to come back but to take areas off to the side we didn't realize were there. This was probably one of the toughest yet most rewarding hike I have done. Am experience I am glad I had and won't soon forget! The gps showed 28.86 miles in the end. Awesome trail with an awesome trail mate to keep me going!

Friday, June 02, 2017

I've done this trail twice now. First time I followed the maps course of going counter clockwise and this past time I went clockwise which I found much easier. I actually through hiked the trail in under 12 hours. If you can find a spot to camp along Rock Run make the effort to stay along one of the most beautiful trout streams in PA there is!

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Great loop. Was rainy and wet when we did it, the trail was a river. Banged it out as an overnight. Not so many great views but great forest and numerous campsites. One tricky stream crossing late in the first day but probably wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't raining. Easily found a log to cross on.

Friday, July 29, 2016

Very well marked and maintained trail. Be warned that it is very very dry this summer. We hiked clockwise from Masten. Between Pleasant Stream (around mile 10) and Yellow Dog Run (around mile 20) almost all the streams have dried up. Get water when you can. We also saw a couple rattlesnakes up at Big Rocks. The highlight for us was Sharp Top Vista where we camped on our first night.

Monday, July 18, 2016

The views from the vistas were breathtaking at the least! The path was marked very well, and a moderate hike. Watch for Timber rattle snakes by Big Rock vista. Encountered 6 of them. My only complaint is that the trail is advertised at 23-25 miles depending on the site but it is actually 29.98 (as per GPS tracking) so plan accordingly and bring enough water!

Monday, July 18, 2016

Beautiful views from the vistas! We did Old Loggers Path. The path was well marked and easy to follow. It was a moderate path to hike but be warned! It is NOT a 25.3 mile loop. Our GPS tracked us at 29.98 so plan accordingly. If we go back, we definitely will make two days of the hike. Also watch for Timber Rattle snakes, we encountered 6 by Big Rock vista

Tuesday, April 05, 2016

Getting ready to do this trail April 15 2016. Any suggestions.

Thursday, October 15, 2015

This is an amazing area. There are great day hikes, plenty of parking area, and several great lookouts and views. Take a minute to take it in and breathe in some nature. This entire trail is full of hills. The usual PA terrain. It's moderate to fairly strenuous, and isn't a leisurely hike. Wear sturdy shoes. Most sections had moving water for drinking in October, but the park office said the water levels were low this season. From the photos I've seen I could tell they were low. The trail is very well marked with orange blazes. Contact the park office (570-946-4049) to check trail conditions, and they even mailed me a trail map for free. Very helpful staff. If you hike the off season, October to the spring some time, you need to call the office a day or 2 prior to your hike to make sure you can have fires.

The Trip:
We drove in on Thursday night, and setup camp in the dark. If you come in from the north on Masten Road it will take you right to the parking area. There are 2 parking areas. One west, and one east in the ghost town. We parked at the west one, which has tent camping right across the road. Very convenient. If you look at the map (http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/groups/public/documents/document/dcnr_20027896.pdf) it's the one labeled "Masten Ghost Town Start". Nice facilities.

Day1:(11.5 miles) Up Bright and early Friday morning. We brought extra car camping gear for that first morning, and left it in the car for our hike.It's nice to start out with a full, hot breakfast on a cool morning. We then packed up, and hit the trail.

We started from the camp site, and ended at mile 11.54 on the map going counterclockwise. There's a small area there with a fire pit. There are other larger areas at the 10.05mile area. Due to some confusion of mileage with a track I uploaded to my Garmin, which started at the ghost town, I was off by a mile. Which is why we ended at 11 miles versus 10. No big deal, but be sure you know which start point your directions start from. Day 1 was quite a long day, and we got to camp around 6pm. Fire, fluids, food, then hit the sack.

Day2:(9 miles) Started at 11.54, ended 20.5. Due to the extra mile on day 1, we had one less to put in on day 2. Good thing... I was toast. Another long section of hills and rocks. This section seemed like we covered so much distance, but as I checked we were constantly surprised by how slow we were actually moving. It feels like a fast hike, but you just don't make any distance. At mile 16.8 there's a "NO BRIDGE" on the map. This is where you see the photos of people crossing the river on the trees. We hiked quite a bit in both directions, but nothing looked good. Perhaps the nimble, sure footed hikers can take the packs across of the less steady hikers. If the water is a bit lower toss some rocks from the shore and make a path to cross. Consider your options. Wet feet? Fall off the log and get all wet and maybe injure something? Be ready for this one.

The camp spot at 20.5 is a fantastic site. nice area, great fire pit. Just hope it's available.

Day3:(7 miles) Camp at 20.5 back to the car. This page says 23.7 miles, but it's actually 27.3 miles. The last 7 miles out are quite nice, and if you get up and go end the day fairly early. Just keep an eye in that switch back hill climb at mile 22 that just seems to keep going and going. Once you clear that it's smooth sailing from there. You pop out at the ghost town, and have an easy mile back to the parking.

Tuesday, October 06, 2015

Let me just start out by saying that this was a fantastic trip and I would recommend this trail to beginners, novice, or experienced. The trail is mostly easy but does have some moderately challenging areas. There were great views from high vistas, plenty of water from streams, and no shortage of campsites. All in all, I think it's a fantastic trail.

I drove 5 1/2 hours to get the trail head which is tucked away down a few dirt roads. There is plenty of parking available making it very easy to identify the area as the trail head. There were a couple of surprisingly very clean and well kept up Port-O-Johns for last minute go time. I went in early October and was one day after some real heavy downpours so most things were wet, but nothing was soggy. Water is not much of a concern since there are so many streams to collect water from. The trail is excellently marked and kept up making it a breeze to stay on the path. Trees that had fallen down across the path had already been cut and the way was always clear to get through. Those who take care of the trail do a wonderful job and I am grateful for their diligent hard-work.

I took my sweet ol-time since it was my first time on this trail and spent 3 nights and 4 days on the trail even tho others can complete it in 1-2 days. There are so many areas with beautiful views including where I spent the first night at Sprout Point Vista. I highly recommend taking the time to veer off onto the short side trail that leads to this vista. The highlight for me of the whole trail was at the confluence of Yellow Dog Run and Rock Run. An especially gorgeous area with lots of camp sites available. If you want a map and trail guide with all of the notes about where to camp, all the best views, and what to expect at every turn, Dave Gantz has put together a great little book titled "Old Loggers Path Guide". I would recommend spending the few dollars it costs to acquire.

I hope to make it an annual trip, there are many more beautiful sights and this is a great trail to enjoy.

Sunday, April 26, 2015

A mostly moderate with many easy miles but also has some more challenging and steep inclines which can be tough if using a large pack or not in shape or used to hiking. Most of the difficult segments do not last very long but one is better described as challenging and has a very large increase in elevation is quite steep, but does not last too long but is long and steep enough that people who may not by physically in shape or used to pushing themselves may want to do the trail in the opposite direction. It is the most challenging part and is many miles into day one. There are a couple other spots that may be moderate but not quite as steep or as long or difficult. Definitely not near as challenging as the first steep incline. It's an amazing weekender or one nighter depending on what you want, but like 8 or so amazing vistas, the camp site for night one is not bad, easy trout fishing right next to it if you need some food. The camp for the second night of making a weekend and taking your time is a beautiful picturesque spot where the yellow dog converges with rock run and has so much beauty, some water falls and is amazing swimming holes and is a great way to cool off, but none of that descriptions or pictures come close to actually describing this location, and it's beauty. The waterfalls, swimming holes and natural beauty are worth the trip alone, but a couple of the vistas magnificent as well. Then when you wake up you have a mostly easy and quick 6 or 7 mile hike out which is quite easy going and can be done pretty quickly at a brisk pace of needed. I have done a lot of hiking in many states and this is one of my favorite 2-3 day trails. About 30 miles, a couple of challenging parts with steep incline but only one is a little long, and just so magnificent of a hike with many amazing scenes of nature that no pictures can describe or give it the justice it deserves. I would recommend this to any experienced hikers and even inexperienced ones that are in ok shape, it is easy to follow and stay on the very well marked and maintained path.

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

This was an awesome trip. We completed the trail in clockwise fashion. Very easy first day of hiking. Day 2 was a tough one; multiple stream crossings, lost of elevation gain, and rain made for a very tiring day. Last day was awesome.

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Did the OLP from Friday morning - Sunday noon. Great trail anytime of year.
We started by arriving into the Masten trail head location via Pleasant Stream Road at about 2am Thursday night/Friday morning. We set a fire in the old chimney (which many people have done before us) and it was great for reflective warmth and cooking delicious pre-trek steaks on hot rocks. If you plan on doing the trip during Oct-Jan, there is a burn ban in effect. Simply call the state park office, let them know your plans to hike, and they will give you oral permission to have the fire. In case a ranger stops you, just lean on that permission. It began to snow/sleet/rain that night/morning and the water likes to pool up in front of the chimney, so it is recommended to find higher ground there a bit further back if you plan to set base camp.

Friday morning we set out about 9:30am heading clockwise. That means crossing over the bridge and turning right onto the trail head. If you find yourself headed uphill and turning right, you are about to do the loop counter-clockwise. Walking is very easy on this trail, as most of it is wide old grades and smooth footpaths in between. Rocks are rarely a problem, and don't last very long when they do appear. This is a nice change from being a constant PA AT backpacker! The weather was windy cold and snowy. Sleet and snow peppered the day. We stopped for lunch atop Sharp Top Vista just in time to see snow squalls come over us from the northwest and travel down the valley. Quite a sight to see just a mass of snow surrounded by blue skies and sunshine. . . trippy for sure. All in all, we saw about 0.5" of snow accumulate at high elevation, but not stick at lower elevation. We continued down along the mountain and arrived into camp at Pleasant Stream around 3:00pm. You have to cross a "bridgeless" river here, but there is a 2-trunk tree down across - making one nice to walk on, the other to hold onto. Crossing is not a problem (at current water levels.) However, in the am it is icy, and a bit more tricky. Just be mindful and deliberate with your footing.
3:00pm was a good time to get to camp so we could, A. Break bags and setup. . . B. Have enough daylight to forage for firewood further out from camp. . . C. Beat the troop of boy scouts that were moving through counter-clockwise. Their was disappointment when they saw us at the northside camp on pleasant stream, but they were happy with the camp on the other side. They setup there for the night, as well as another small group of people.

Saturday was highlighted with nice weather, Sullivan mountain providing great views to the south from impressive rock ledges, and knowing we were headed to camp along Rock Run. We took a slight detour from the trail at the second powerline crossing. Rather than continuing around to follow Yellow Dog Run from the top, we cut down the powerline, across the road, and straight down to Yellow Dog Run. We figured we had to come down anyway, so let's save the time and be able to follow Yellow Dog Run stream-side all the way to where it dumps in to Rock Run...where we planned to camp. The choice was right. It saved us about 40 minutes. Yellow Dog Run has some great pools, falls, and slides that can only be seen if you follow along the banks. At the end you are graced with the sight and sound of it dumping into Rock Run - another gem worth exploring. Camp was great here. Nice firepits, stone chairs, and level ground. Plenty of wood - especially oily birch - and water is just a few steps away.

Sunday was pretty quick. Pulled out of camp at about 9ish and finished up about 11:45; a little over 6 miles. Solid uphill climb starts your morning, and the day ends with coming downhill to the parked cars.

Some key points to consider:
1. If you can start Friday morning, the reco is to do the loop clockwise, and camp at Pleasant Stream night 1 and Rock Run night 2. There are less people doing the trail clockwise. As a matter of fact, we crossed nobody on the trail, only intercepted folks headed counter-clockwise at camps.
2. There is a lot of water. Streams, springs, seeps, mud pits, wet leaves, etc. Be sure to wear Gore-tex boots in cool and cold weather, and something ventilated and quick drying in warm and hot weather.
3. Akin to point 2, you don't need to carry a ton of water. save the weight for a better, more comfortable hike. You cross so many runs and streams that it is easy to fill up and sterilize a nalgene or gatorade bottle.
4. You do not have cell service. Not even when you get to the Masten trail head. The only time you do have service is when you are at high elevation near sharp top and Sullivan mountain. Keep your phone off because it kills the battery as it is in constant "find the signal" mode. If your spouse or significant other is a worrier and wants you to check in morning and night, prepare them for the fact that cells simply don't work, and you will call when you can. If they don't

Saturday, October 18, 2014

My first hiking trip and it kicked my a**. Did Fri a.m to Sun. Planned on doing the whole thing but I was the weak link. It was still awesome and a good measuring stick for an out of shape newb. Definitely going back to complete the whole thing. Came across a couple rattlesnakes,saw a glimpse of a baby bear + alot of bear tracks and skat and a lot of what looked like cat tracks? Bobcat? Had some really nice views,the trails were well marked and the camp site were sweet

Wednesday, October 01, 2014

Hello All adventurers & explorers!
If you are planning to hike along or camp in trout run,Pa 1771 this year or years to consider (ogogtraditionalretreat) they offer cheap weekly and monthly camp space reliable wi fi & weekly events. Great for RVers that may need a place to park there rig as well.

Monday, September 15, 2014

Som of th be St hiking and camping. Tons of primitive camp sites with lots of streams so bring you water filter and don't worry about carrying too much.

Saturday, May 31, 2014

dlDid this trip ccw and was my first 3 day trip. excellent choice to break in the season, a little swampy at times and all the good vistas were covered by the clouds (weather wasn't ideal). for the first real trip this year the last day was pretty rough, multiple moderate climbs along with poor weather but it wasn't unmanageable. Over all you'll get an awesome experience and some east coast sights that are truly beautiful. a lot of wildlife, 3 rattlesnakes a bear endless number of small orange newts and a barn owl were seen in our trip and the 2 campsites we used were either comfortable or scenic and all Tue ones we saw along the way had a little of both. I recommend this trail to anyone looking for great sights or trying to break into the season. just watch out in the summer months its humid and ticks can be a terror.

Monday, May 26, 2014

First "big" hike of the season and a great one to break yourself in. The trail is magnificent with its beauty, changing terrain, lookouts, adventure, and challenge. Plenty of places to set up tents and sleep, along with getting a decent campfire. It was WET when we did it (May 22--) and mucky in spots but we found it excellent. I'll do this again someday.

Sunday, March 23, 2014

I loved this trail. We met some great friends along this trail. It was well blazed and really scenic. the elevation change wasn't terrible, yet challenging in spots. had some great open spots to take in the view. also came across some great spots to do some beginner rock climbing. I would def do this trail again, we had taken 3 days off to do this trail. make sure you come in the back way do to ruff terrain for your vehicle if you have a small car.