North Country Trail: PA 346 to PA 321

North Country Trail: PA 346 to PA 321 is a 27.4 mile point-to-point trail located near Corydon Twp, Pennsylvania that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and camping. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

My wife and I are day hikers, so we did this section on two separate weekends. Sep. 24th and 25th, Oct. 15th and 16th. We stayed at the Kane Manor for our overnight which is a B&B. Excellent place to stay, and re-live a little history if your into that.

Our goal for 2016 was to hike the entire NCT through PA and find as many geocaches as we could along the way. This particular area we found 45 caches on the trail. Speed was not important to us, but just enjoying the trail was. We did see a bear, right at the Route 59 crossing.

The trail was in excellent shape for this time of the year and very beautiful in many spots especially in October with the leaves changing color.

Trail was a bit muddy and the humidity was bad... but the trail was VERY WELL taken care of! We booted it NW 16.8 miles from Sugar Run boat launch to Rt. 346 in 9 1/2 hours. The last two were quite brutal but a challenge. Very challenging but well worth the true connection with nature. Found 21 geocaches too!!

I parked at Quaker Lake and hiked the Tuscarora Trail and connected to the NCT and hiked south on the NCT to PA 346. I stealth camped just north of PA 236 and hiked back to my car the next day. I hiked it in February and was very wet and still had some snow. The trail conditions were abysmal (the reason i stealth camped, did not make it to where I was planning on going) but still was a nice isolated short out and back. FYI if you do this route, the Tuscarora trail was by in large the hardest section of this trip. The last 100yd of that climb is no joke.

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Hiked from the PA/NY border to Sugar Run Rd. Super wet and steamy as it had stormed the night before but great nonetheless. Completely alone the whole day except for the chipmunks. Plan to continue until I complete the 100 miles or so in the Allegheny National Forest. Always on the hunt for hiking partners as well.

Monday, May 09, 2016

I backpacked this with my boyfriend last summer a week after a big storm. so I understood why so manytrees were down on the path. I absolutely loved it though. there were certain areas were the trail and blaze were hard to find so we were worried that we were still on thetrail and suddenly after awhile one would show up. the views are amazing and so are the sources of wster, we have a water filter just in case but all the spring water was so pure and clean. this was my first multi day hike and this trail was wonderful. I am college rower and he is a marine so certain areas maybe strenuous for others, take that into consideration

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Backpacked with my son in 2 days. Should have taken at least part of 3. I don't know about the shelters the other reviewer is talking about, I suspect he has it confused with a nearby trail. We geocached our way along the trail and had a blast. Like I said, we should have taken longer than 2 days. We were spent about 1/2 through the second day but made it. It was blistering hot in the sun (upper 90's). Most of the trail was under the canopy which felt about 20 degrees cooler

Wednesday, January 04, 2012

great trail and very scenic,hiked in 2 days and would definitely recommend it to others

Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Started in PA and hiked to red house bridge over 3 days. The over all trip is seperated well. There are leen-toos about every 7 miles. The trail is clearly marked about every 20ft. We even were able to complete the first part of our trip in the dark. Each lean-too is well kept and all have picnic benches at each one. Alot of ups and down in elevation thru entire trip. overall great time....

Friday, September 03, 2010

Spent numerous nites over various dates. From the border, south, very nice. Great views along the reservoir, into the bays. Camping at Handsome Lake CG is especially nice. Late fall is great.