Neversink Loop Trail

Neversink Loop Trail is a 4.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Reading, Pennsylvania that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.8 miles Elevation Gain: 613 feet Route Type: Loop

This is a very nice hike if you are looking for some rugged terrain and climbs. Seasonally, the fallen leaves can cover up any rocks ( and there are a lot ) on the trail so wear great hiking footwear and don't rush. If you plan on visiting near the end of the year wear bright colors as there is hunting allowed on parts of the "ORANGE" loop. There are signs posted, and a detour trail marked with "RED & WHITE" which is a challenging and fun option.

There were multiple places where the trail was over grown. We got lost at two points along the orange marked trail. One the markers lead you 2 ways, the other to a rundown and very narrow section of trail that still has markers along it. There are also sections COVERED in broken glass. I had to pick up my dog and carry her twice.

orange trail: nice combo of woods to open areas. however, one area completely overgrown and got lost on which path to be on.

Due to the trail following the trolley tracks, the trail was flatter than expected. Should take you less time to do this loop. We never paused the recording when exploring.

Extensive network of trails all over Neversink allows for multiple visits with something different each time. Be aware some “trails” are single-track mountain biking paths. Very muddy with some flooded areas requiring creative bushwhacking wot maneuver around, also very buggy. Witches Hat is a great resting spot that reminds you of the history present in the mountain. Surprisingly quiet despite being so close to an urban area. Hardly any road noise, but you may hear a loud industrial train rolling along the south side of the mountain. View from the south outcrop is gorgeous, a panorama of a sharp curve in the Susquehanna leading to a straightaway. Kayakers cruising by and pleasant sound of the rapids from the rocks above. Lots of power lines, antennas, and cell towers pull away from the nature but never too invasive. Great trails for locals but not worth a long trip.

It’s a good trail, a little close to the city so while we were hiking we heard music blasting which annoyed me. But it’s still a decent trail to hike.

Great hike!

Really nice trail for Spring with Jasmine and other flowers. The forest changes perfume throughout the walk. The beginning of the trail is by water and you can spot tortoise on the trail.

Nice little day hike. Well marked trails and a couple of good overlooks.

This was an awesome hike, did it with my husband for my birthday. There were 2 pretty steep hills that really get your blood pumping but overall a very pretty and interesting hike. I especially liked the foot bridges and scenery at the beginning of the trail.

private property

Great hike! Well marked and not too crowded today. Will definitely be back!

This trail wasn’t bad decent hike

Loved this trail! We started at the Klapperthal Rd entrance(the road says no outlet, at the end there's parking) it looks around the mounting with a beautiful view after about 3/4 mile. Just after the lookout(on your left) on the right there is a big cliff that you can climb up a small trail to an even better lookout. Be careful when going off the trail to the rocks, it can be a bit slippery because of the wet leaves! The portion of the trail that we hiked was pretty flat, with some smaller inclines here and there. We took out dog and she loved it! At the "end" there is a gate where we stopped, but I believe you can follow the trail up to the right, just not sure about the terrain on that section.

This map is misleading as it starts you on the Exeter Trail which is 2.5 miles of flat trail next to the Schuylkill River before you get to the actual Neversink Loop. If you want to skip the extra 5 miles, look for the Klapperthal parking lot in your GPS. That said, the flat portion was lovely and a very easy walk. The day I did this I only hiked up to Witches’ Hat, and I missed a sign about a closed trail due to hunting (there was a large branch covering it). There are a bunch of side trails here so I suggest checking out the Neversink Mountain Preserve website online to see all of them. There is personal property mixed in as well, so just be aware of that.

This was a good trail with minimal views the first portion of the hike is gravel and very easy flat walk to get to the trail. The hike we did was about 8 Miles not sure how somebody seems to have walked a lot further and it was labeled a 10 mile. I would recommend starting closer and enjoying more of in the woods trail portion of these trails. Don’t mind the end of my map I got in my car and left before turning off the recording. I stopped where I started.

Friday, August 17, 2018

I love Neversink, run or hike it frequently. But holy poison ivy! After the real steep incline on the long/orange loop it is unavoidable .

Friday, August 03, 2018

I think I just saw a bald eagle flying over the river

Thursday, June 07, 2018

We started at Gate 5 and it was almost immediately a steep uphill climb from there going north. I like doing the uphills first so that was good! We followed the orange loop most of the way with a side trip on the green loop so we could see the witch's hat. Very enjoyable hike. Much was wooded and shady. The trails were well-marked with blazes on the trees and signs to help you when the trails went in different directions. We were surprised on the section of orange/blue to hit another very steep part of the trail. You're rewarded by views of the city of Reading when you get nearly to the top. Just turn around to look behind you to see the city. Took a little over 3 hours.

Sunday, March 25, 2018

Nice trail. South trail has very gradual climb with nice views of the river and as you make the bend toward the North trail, Nice views of Reading city and the pagoda across the valley on Mt Penn. Along the North trail there is the witch's hat pavilion(1890 construction), radio tower and power lines, water tanks... There are a number of historical ruins from when this area was a get-away spot for Reading inhabitants. There are some nice steep climbs, creeks and older trees on the nob tops.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

This is a fun trail and I got to hike it this past weekend before and after snow. There is a lot to see and it offers a variety of terrain for hiking, and it’s not difficult. There are also many other little trails to explore.

Saturday, February 03, 2018

Nice trail with flat to steep terrain. Great views with historical remnants inter dispersed along trail. McIlvain pavilion a must see.

Sunday, January 21, 2018

Great mountain to hike and tailor it to what you like by your trail selection. Best hiked in October thru April unless you like to deal with overgrowth and copperhead snakes.