Neversink Loop Trail

Neversink Loop Trail is a 11 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Reading, Pennsylvania that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rails trails

I loved the orange trail, until I got past the power lines and the trail was pretty much grown in and almost impassable making me turn back. Awesome views though!

Very overgrown

We walked the Exeter Scenic River trail part of this loop. Very easy hike. It is flat and runs right next to the river.

This trail is great and there are so many options and variations. In this case my intention was to do orange starting on the south trail and come all the way around back to the parking area off the mount pen exit - Klapperthal-and while I stayed on orange for about 3/4 of the loop I somehow ended up switching to blue after crossing the road that goes up the mountain (I think 20th st). I was unable to find a view of Reading itself which was my main objective, perhaps orange in this area would have brought me to it. I did hook up with purple and got to the witches hat but the growth was too high to see the city. From there it's a steep decline back to Klapperthal . I was fighting off darkness at this point but this is a very scenic area with historical ruins, streams and bridges. Neversink is basically right outside my door so this will be a popular destination for me when I don't feel like traveling to others. My route was 5.4 miles and a great work out. I imagine it is beautiful in the fall once the leaves come down or the colors prior to that. Only complaint is the private property areas, you think you're on the trail but next thing you know you're going into someone's property.

Rode my bike there..rocky and uphill on some parts of the trail. It was adventurous and beautiful!

A great trail with many reminders of what an exciting area Reading Pa was in the early1900's. Along the way you will find stone foundations from old structures, remnants of the old railroad that lead to the hotel on the mountain and an old stone pavilion that is called the witches that because of the pointed roof. Along the way you will get nice views down the schukill river, over Reading and across Mt Penn over to the Pagoda. I've done the trail many time and always find something new when I go back.

This was more of a testing of my ankle after recovering from a severe sprain as I only did a quick one mile loop from and back to Klapperthal. I completed the whole loop and there is a separate review for that about a week or later.