Neversink Loop Trail

Neversink Loop Trail is a 10.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Reading, Pennsylvania that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rails trails

historic site

This is a very nice hike if you are looking for some rugged terrain and climbs. Seasonally, the fallen leaves can cover up any rocks ( and there are a lot ) on the trail so wear great hiking footwear and don't rush. If you plan on visiting near the end of the year wear bright colors as there is hunting allowed on parts of the "ORANGE" loop. There are signs posted, and a detour trail marked with "RED & WHITE" which is a challenging and fun option.

Nice trail. South trail has very gradual climb with nice views of the river and as you make the bend toward the North trail, Nice views of Reading city and the pagoda across the valley on Mt Penn. Along the North trail there is the witch's hat pavilion(1890 construction), radio tower and power lines, water tanks... There are a number of historical ruins from when this area was a get-away spot for Reading inhabitants. There are some nice steep climbs, creeks and older trees on the nob tops.

This is a fun trail and I got to hike it this past weekend before and after snow. There is a lot to see and it offers a variety of terrain for hiking, and it’s not difficult. There are also many other little trails to explore.

Nice trail with flat to steep terrain. Great views with historical remnants inter dispersed along trail. McIlvain pavilion a must see.

Great mountain to hike and tailor it to what you like by your trail selection. Best hiked in October thru April unless you like to deal with overgrowth and copperhead snakes.

Love, love, love Neversink! I lived nearby for 8 years and hiked these trails every chance I got. A quick hop in the car to the Klapperthal parking area or a jog from the 26th street entrance made hiking here nice and convenient.

The moderate Orange Trail starts with a picturesque climb over brooks and bridges and offers a nice few-hour hike around the mountain, or a simple walk to the beautiful South Outlook.

The Cove trail offers a quick, but steep incline/decline to or from the South Outlook, and the newer hunting season Red Trail is a nice winding shortcut to the northern part of the mountain.

The steep Purple trail is my favorite! It's fun uphill or down, and its mostly-straight upward pathway is a nice diversion from other windier pathways. Along the way, you'll pass the base of a decorative fountain from a long-ago hotel. Hidden off the trail is the wine cellar from the hotel.

The Blue trail is at the height of the west side of the mountain. It offers a short cut between two points of the Orange Trail. It's coincidence that it's also the nicest workout if you're looking for incline hiking.

The Witches Hat pavilion is located by the North Lookout, which offers a view of nearby Reading. Slightly down hill is a closer view of the north.

There are many types of trails at Neversink. From flat running trails to mountainous bike trails, one can easily make a day of the trails here. I will miss having this place in my backyard!

This is a very nice hike if you are looking for some rugged terrain and climbs. Do yourself a favor and map out your GPS ahead of time because we couldn't find a parking lot and ended up parking at the Exeter Trail entrance, which was fine but adds another 5 miles to your hike. All the fallen leaves have covered up any rocks ( and there are a lot ) on the trail so wear great hiking footwear and don't rush. We did the entire loop and once we got to the "BLUE" marked trail we hiked straight up to the top and was great exercise. Once we peaked we could tell we were in a water runoff trough from the mountain, which was a challenge decent with rocks covered in leaves. From where we parked and hiking all the loops available we clocked around 15 miles in 4 hours. If you plan on visiting before the end of the year wear bright colors as there is hunting allowed on parts of the "ORANGE" loop. There are signs posted, and a detour trail marked with " RED & WHITE" which was actually the most challenging and fun part of our day.
We will definitely hike this again.

This is a very nice hike if you are looking for some rugged terrain and climbs. Do yourself a favor and map out your GPS ahead of time because we couldn't find a parking lot and ended up parking at the Exeter Trail entrance, which was fine but adds another 5 miles to your hike. All the fallen leaves have covered up any rocks ( and there are a lot ) on the trail so wear great hiking footwear and don't rush. We did the entire loop and once we got to the "BLUE" marked trail we hiked straight up to the top and was great exercise. Once we peaked we could tell we were in a water runoff trough from the mountain, which was a challenge decent with rocks covered leaves. From where we parked and hiking all the loops available we clocked around 15 miles in 4 hours. If you plan on visiting before the end of the year wear bright colors as there is hunting allowed on parts of the "ORANGE" loop. There are signs posted, and a detour trail marked with " RED & WHITE" which was actually the most challenging and fun part of our day.

We will definitely hike this again.

I thought this trail was very tough, the 3 climbs were intense, maybe if we did it in the opposite direction it would have better. There are sections that aren't marked very well and some areas are overgrown.

Mountain biked this trail. It's not a very long ride, but it's fun and the trails are well marked.

My local spot right outside my front door, finally found the overlook of the city of Reading, it's just below the Witches had on a side trail. Such a great mountain with a wide variety of trails and side trails. Each section of the mountain really has its own personality too. I've heard the overgrowth on Orange south side has been trimmed back.

I loved the orange trail, until I got past the power lines and the trail was pretty much grown in and almost impassable making me turn back. Awesome views though!

Very overgrown

We walked the Exeter Scenic River trail part of this loop. Very easy hike. It is flat and runs right next to the river.

This trail is great and there are so many options and variations. In this case my intention was to do orange starting on the south trail and come all the way around back to the parking area off the mount pen exit - Klapperthal-and while I stayed on orange for about 3/4 of the loop I somehow ended up switching to blue after crossing the road that goes up the mountain (I think 20th st). I was unable to find a view of Reading itself which was my main objective, perhaps orange in this area would have brought me to it. I did hook up with purple and got to the witches hat but the growth was too high to see the city. From there it's a steep decline back to Klapperthal . I was fighting off darkness at this point but this is a very scenic area with historical ruins, streams and bridges. Neversink is basically right outside my door so this will be a popular destination for me when I don't feel like traveling to others. My route was 5.4 miles and a great work out. I imagine it is beautiful in the fall once the leaves come down or the colors prior to that. Only complaint is the private property areas, you think you're on the trail but next thing you know you're going into someone's property.

Rode my bike there..rocky and uphill on some parts of the trail. It was adventurous and beautiful!

A great trail with many reminders of what an exciting area Reading Pa was in the early1900's. Along the way you will find stone foundations from old structures, remnants of the old railroad that lead to the hotel on the mountain and an old stone pavilion that is called the witches that because of the pointed roof. Along the way you will get nice views down the schukill river, over Reading and across Mt Penn over to the Pagoda. I've done the trail many time and always find something new when I go back.

This was more of a testing of my ankle after recovering from a severe sprain as I only did a quick one mile loop from and back to Klapperthal. I completed the whole loop and there is a separate review for that about a week or later.

Monday, February 20, 2017

starts out very pedestrian with a trail alongside the river. hike up towards the top of hill starts about 3 miles in. once in woods it's a very enjoyable. the views at top are nice but industrial with power lines in view with reading cityscape in the back. overall though a nice hike.

Monday, November 28, 2016

Ran the trail 4 times so far this November. Started once from Klapperthal (tiny parking lot) and three times from 27th street (just parked along the houses near the trail head as I didn't see a lot anywhere). Stayed on the orange/purple for most other than the promenade trail near the Witches Hat other than one run where I included part of the blue. This is my new favorite place to run. The views are amazing in multiple places and the terrain for the most part is fine although doing the full orange loop (counterclockwise) has a challenging incline up some loose rock. When starting from 27th and doing the orange and back it comes to three pretty good climbs and the rest is pretty flat. The only real challenge with running is the amount of leaves right now which cover certain parts - you just have to pay attention to where you are stepping. Overall not a ton of rocks and roots compared to some other places. During the week (although a cold and windy one) I saw maybe one or two people in the whole 5-7 miles I ran but haven't been there on a nice summer weekend yet.

Thursday, November 10, 2016

Beautiful scenery and well marked trails! This is one of my new favorite spots! I did a 10 mile loop and it was moderately difficult. Exactly what I was looking for!

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Loved this hike. Two steep inclines. Great sensory towards the end of the loop if u go counter clock wise. Very good to build endurance.

Monday, June 27, 2016

a very pretty trail, clearly marked and well maintained. the trees block the view of the river until you climb up a bit higher.

Sunday, May 29, 2016

beautiful, moderate difficulty

Thursday, April 28, 2016

Beautiful trail. I had an awesome day hiking. It's and easy trail well
Marked

Monday, April 25, 2016

great! started from Centre Av & 4th St. Good hill ride up.