Neversink Loop Trail

Neversink Loop Trail is a 11 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Reading, Pennsylvania that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rails trails

historic site

Love, love, love Neversink! I lived nearby for 8 years and hiked these trails every chance I got. A quick hop in the car to the Khlapperthal parking or jog to the 26th street entrance made hiking here nice and convenient.

The moderate Orange Trail starts with a picturesque climb over brooks and bridges and offers a nice few-hour hike around the mountain, or a simple walk to the beautiful South Outlook.

The Cove trail offers a quick, but steep incline/decline to or from the South Outlook, and the newer hunting season Red Trail is a nice winding shortcut to the northern part of the mountain.

The steep Purple trail is my favorite! It's fun uphill or down, and its mostly-straight pathway is a nice diversion from other windier pathways. Along the way, you'll pass the base of a decorative fountain from a long-ago hotel. Hidden off the trail is the wine cellar from the hotel.

The Blue trail is at the height of the west side of the mountain. It offers a short cut to two points of the Orange Trail. It's coincidence that it's also the nicest workout if you're looking for incline hiking.

The Witches Hat is a pavilion located by the North Lookout, which offers a view of nearby Reading. Slightly down hill is a closer view of the north.

There are many types of trails at Neversink. From flat running trails to mountainous bike trails, one can easily make a day of the trails here. I will miss having this place in my backyard!

I thought this trail was very tough, the 3 climbs were intense, maybe if we did it in the opposite direction it would have better. There are sections that aren't marked very well and some areas are overgrown.

Mountain biked this trail. It's not a very long ride, but it's fun and the trails are well marked.

My local spot right outside my front door, finally found the overlook of the city of Reading, it's just below the Witches had on a side trail. Such a great mountain with a wide variety of trails and side trails. Each section of the mountain really has its own personality too. I've heard the overgrowth on Orange south side has been trimmed back.

I loved the orange trail, until I got past the power lines and the trail was pretty much grown in and almost impassable making me turn back. Awesome views though!