Mount Davis Pennsylvania Highpoint Trail

Mount Davis Pennsylvania Highpoint Trail is a 5.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Elk Lick Township, Pennsylvania that features hot springs and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

hot springs

8/14/17 - Started at the Mt Davis picnic area on Mt Davis Rd and hit the High Point Trail for the 0.8 miles to the summit. Nice, easy hike. The top has some plaques of information, but is very understated - no fancy buildings or anything (i.e. very nice), and the USGS plate is on the peak of a boulder. The observation tower provided great views. We then had to find the next trail for our route - Shelter Rock Trl, which ended up being half way around the summit road loop, near the trail to parking. This was a nice woodsy trail - lots of moss, which made me think it's not heavily travelled. To the bottom of this 1 mile trail, then turned right on Shelter Rock Road, which was a nice grassy horse trail. Not far down then to the left was Timber Slide Trl, which intensified and narrowed from the Shelter Rock Trl. This was mostly a long downhill with decent rocks and down to Tub Mill Trail. Turned left and this was our favorite part of the hike, much of it ascending along a rushing stream. The trail continued to "close in" and the farther we got, the less maintained it seemed, but was still easy to follow. Across an unattractive area where the mountain had been cut of most trees, then through the woods again but got to a T. To the right was a gravel mountain road (not a car-road) after a few feet and to the left was a continuation of the trail, marked with red blazes. I was a bit confused about which way to go, as if it was Shelter Rock Rd, I would have bugged out there since it was later than we had planned. But, my wife said she thought we should follow the red blazes since they had marked the rest of the trail and there was no trail sign, so we did. Phew - after another bit, we were at Shelter Rock Rd where the trail crossed and continued (which I knew it did from a 2004 map I got online from a Pittsburgh Post Gazette site, but did not at the previous road where we almost got lost). Since we needed expedience, we turned right on the road to a left on Mt Davis Rd. Turned out that we probably would have saved time staying on the trail, as it must have cut across a curve in the road. Anyway, our 5.6 or so mile (with various diversions) hike took nearly 3 hours.

I would recommend the reverse (clockwise) of what we did, but due to potential rain in the afternoon, we "did it backwards". It's kind of anti-climatic doing the majority of the hike after summiting, but if you like hiking, this is a very nice route, especially for a half-day hike. The trails were very well marked, much to my surprise as not many people online had mentioned that. So, the reverse would be High Point -> not far to a left on Tub Mill (cross Shelter Rock Rd) -> Right on Timber Slide -> Right on Shelter Rock Rd -> left on Shelter Rock Trl -> to the summit. From the end of Shelter Rock, you can pick up High Point Trl to the right, though you'll also want to take your pic at the summit, first!

Trail seems a little stronger than easy. Many lengthy rock gardens. Natural springs are cool. Need to search a little. Trails are well maintained. Good walking stick for the hill and some big spray in the summer wouldn't hurt.

My sister and I just hiking this today (July 16 2017) and it's completely overgrown in one area. also there are tons of places to turn and take different trails so I would advise taking a map or following the GPS map as you go (as what we did). my sister used the app "map my run" and she says it's closer to 7 miles. other than that there's a lot of cool little waterfalls! We also came across a rattlesnake so beware!

we got to the second fork in the road and wasn't sure if we should go left of right. any info would be nice.

There is a beautiful cold spring, cannot be swam in unless you want to freeze. It is called Big Spring. You park at the access road, near the mine, and go that way. Also down the road there is a large lookout tower. Beautiful views one of the best trails I have been on. Lots of wildlife, turkeys, squirrels, but WATCH FOR RATTLESNAKES!

Best way to summit this peak is to start at the Boy Scout picnic area. This hike will take you down and around a beautiful creek. Then you will make your way up shelter rock trail where you can do some bouldering and finally to the summit and observation tower. This trail was surprisingly beautiful and well worth the hike!

Very gentle trail between tower at PA highpoint and picnic area. Perfect for breaking in after winter inactivity

Did the 5.5 mile loop with my two sons that are 11 and 9. Took about 3.5 hours but there was a lot of playing on rocks. Kids were proud to bag a High Point. Terrain is fairly varied with rocky trails, a couple of vistas, nice stream, small spring, and the summit experience. Definitely enough to keep kids interested. Used the GPS map on this app and it is dead on. You can't get lost if you use it and pay a just a little attention. Trails are High Point, left on Tub Mill, right on Timber Slide, right on Shelter Rock Road, left on Shelter Rock Trail to the summit, then High Point back to the car.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Saturday, July 09, 2016

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Better view than expected from the lookout! Though "there's not much to see", it is beautiful being perched just above the treetops and seeing where the treeline meets the sky. --Nice leisurely little hike too... however the hike mapped out as shown I would estimate to be closer to 5.5 miles.

Wednesday, April 01, 2015

Horrrrrrriiiiiiibbbbblllllleeeeeee

I ran into a kid getting high

I fell 8 times

Saturday, August 30, 2014

My wife and myself hiked the Shelter Rock Trail and found it to be a very enjoyable walk. There is an interesting, though overgrown, grouping of large rocks to explore along the trail. An abundance of mountain laurel should make this area even more interesting in early June. The trail was well marked and easy to follow, but very rocky. Wear proper footwear. We made a loop by taking Shelter Rock Trail from near yhe observation tower to Shelter Rock Road to Tub Mill Trail to High Point Trail back to the observation tower.We will be back to explore the area more as we enjoyed our time here.

Friday, May 24, 2013

Just got back from my hike. Nice short trails around the area of the Mt. Davis natural area. I enjoyed the observation tower. Beautiful views. There is a really cool formation of rocks in the shelter rock trail. If you spend the morning at Mt. Davis there is plenty of file to visit Laurel Hill state park or Kooser State park.

I bring my dog hiking with me a lot and this trail is VERY rocky. You really have to watch where you are stepping. If your dog pulls like my husky does when he's excited this might not be the best trail.

Enjoy!