Minister Creek Trail is a 6.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Sheffield, Pennsylvania that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,056 feet Route Type: Loop

cave

Good variety of vegetation, large rocks, and beautiful streams. White diamonds and blue tree markings show the trail route. The trail is well maintained and provides a variety of hills as well as some flat stretches warranting its moderate rating. There is a variety of terrain and even differences in the layout of the forest. If you're camping at the overlook don't forget to carry in water from either the campground or the stream. Camping at the overlook provides several large sites good for both tents and hammocks. Deerlick camp, at the end of an offshoot trail on the East side, is inaccessible due to some downed trees that haven't been cleaned up and what appears to be beavers. Both seem to have caused the creek to damn making the campsites inaccessible. Therefore you'll need to camp at the junction with the North Country National Scenic Trail or at the bridge on the South East side of the trail close to the Middle Loop Junction.

bridge out

Hiked on 25May2020. Well marked intersections. Bridge out on the north loop, south west of the NCT intersection. Overlook has beautiful view

bridge out

Great trail! I recommend good hiking boots due to mud/rocks/hill climbs. lots of springs and creeks that make the trail very beautiful to walk. A fair amount of people hiking and camping off the trail but it was Memorial Day weekend. Some cut-off loops if you want to make it a short hike.

We did the middle trail. We started on the uphill and it was a workout. It was raining so things were a bit slick. Really nice area. Some pretty good climbing area, probably would not have been comfortable with younger kids.

Loved everything about this trail. Tons of pretty stream crossings, huge rock outcroppings and fun rock tunnel. view beautiful. brought water shoes to keep dry at stream crossing at halfway point.

One of my favorite hikes in the area because of the view you are rewarded with at the top!

Beautiful trail. We brought a heavy contractor bag to help cross the stream and it worked fabulously! We looked a little funny walking in a trash bag but we stayed dry! Will definitely be back!

one of my favorite trails in PA.

awesome

icy

I followed other recommendations on this trail, and went counterclockwise. Thank you, the view was amazing! I brought 13 gallon Hefty trash bags, and put one over each leg when crossing the knee high creek. Worked like a charm. Thank for the heads up!As also mentioned, when trekking up to the Overlook, there could be a few trail blazes to direct the way. If it hadn't been for the snow and tracks left by others, it would've been difficult. In other areas, creeks and water were enough to cover your foot. Wear waterproof boots. Thankful that I did. The view was amazing!

Little dicey in parts with all the snow/ice, and there is definitely some blazes missing in parts. There was a trail blazed by previous hikers, so we only lost the trail a few times. Overall a great hike,l this time of year! Bring trekking poles for sure! Also, there is a creek about knee deep that you have to cross, so be prepared to take your shoes off and be very cold for a moment! Worth it, go!

Best hike in the ANF. Go counter clockwise and the view at the end will be worth the hike to get there. Be prepared to cross a stream. Unless you have waders; the shoes are coming off. Waters about knee deep.

Great trail for experiencing the autumn foliage.

beautiful! varying terrain. my new favorite trail!

This was our first time backpacking with hammocks. Second weekend in October with highs in the upper 60s and lows in the mid 30s. We took the trail counter-clockwise and camped near the midpoint of the north loop. Day one on the east side of the creek was nice hiking amongst the rock formation and beginning of fall colors. The trail is easy to follow with new blazes and signage at the intersections. Overall the blazes could be a bit closer in spots, but we never got lost. We setup camp along the creek at an established site near the intersection with the NCT. Plenty of water, an established fire area, and plenty of trees for hanging hammocks. Insects were rare and we encountered no wildlife aside from a mouse curious about our campfire. Day two we woke up to light rain and continued hiking the west side. This portion of the trail is steep, nearly washed out in places, and quite dense with brush. Clearly there has been some work done recently to clear many downed trees. Once again the trail was easy to follow and the elevated views made up for the work. The overlook was very nice and we encountered many other groups traveling opposite us on the final stretch of the loop. I'd recommend being familiar with the south and middle loops, as the intersection at the overlook was slightly confusing. Overall a fantastic trail for a couple of guys in their 30s looking to get into the backpacking hobby.

Mostly shade. Steep on south end. Very overgrown for about half mile. lots and lots of gnats (end of September). Not clearly marked in places but the trail can usually still be seen.

This was my first ever solo backpacking hiking trail and I really enjoyed it. I felt it was more clear enough as only one or two times that I have to really look for a diamond. The trail entrance is a little to the left of the camping area which has no bathroom or ranger station. I camped out around the halfway point and had a beautiful spot with a great view of a clear night sky. Never in my life have I seen so many stars (but I hope to change that!) The last half it's pretty steep but it's well worth it for the view at the top. when you got to the top where the middle and South loops or marked take the middle loop trial in the center and this will take you back to where you started. I will absolutely hike this and camp here again. Also there's absolutely zero cell phone service on AT& t.

Came to Minister Creek in spring 2018 for my first ever backpacking experience & I loved it. Now I'm this week in the fall. This will be a annual trip for me! Twice a year!

good hike, we didn't see the second half of the trail because we bush whacked at deerlick camp which was a big mistake. nice area though.