Minister Creek Trail

Minister Creek Trail is a 6.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sheffield, Pennsylvania that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,056 feet Route Type: Loop

cave

Good variety of vegetation, large rocks, and beautiful streams. White diamonds and blue tree markings show the trail route. The trail is well maintained and provides a variety of hills as well as some flat stretches warranting its moderate rating. There is a variety of terrain and even differences in the layout of the forest. If you're camping at the overlook don't forget to carry in water from either the campground or the stream. Camping at the overlook provides several large sites good for both tents and hammocks. Deerlick camp, at the end of an offshoot trail on the East side, is inaccessible due to some downed trees that haven't been cleaned up and what appears to be beavers. Both seem to have caused the creek to damn making the campsites inaccessible. Therefore you'll need to camp at the junction with the North Country National Scenic Trail or at the bridge on the South East side of the trail close to the Middle Loop Junction.

Great trail for experiencing the autumn foliage.

beautiful! varying terrain. my new favorite trail!

This was our first time backpacking with hammocks. Second weekend in October with highs in the upper 60s and lows in the mid 30s. We took the trail counter-clockwise and camped near the midpoint of the north loop. Day one on the east side of the creek was nice hiking amongst the rock formation and beginning of fall colors. The trail is easy to follow with new blazes and signage at the intersections. Overall the blazes could be a bit closer in spots, but we never got lost. We setup camp along the creek at an established site near the intersection with the NCT. Plenty of water, an established fire area, and plenty of trees for hanging hammocks. Insects were rare and we encountered no wildlife aside from a mouse curious about our campfire. Day two we woke up to light rain and continued hiking the west side. This portion of the trail is steep, nearly washed out in places, and quite dense with brush. Clearly there has been some work done recently to clear many downed trees. Once again the trail was easy to follow and the elevated views made up for the work. The overlook was very nice and we encountered many other groups traveling opposite us on the final stretch of the loop. I'd recommend being familiar with the south and middle loops, as the intersection at the overlook was slightly confusing. Overall a fantastic trail for a couple of guys in their 30s looking to get into the backpacking hobby.

Mostly shade. Steep on south end. Very overgrown for about half mile. lots and lots of gnats (end of September). Not clearly marked in places but the trail can usually still be seen.

This was my first ever solo backpacking hiking trail and I really enjoyed it. I felt it was more clear enough as only one or two times that I have to really look for a diamond. The trail entrance is a little to the left of the camping area which has no bathroom or ranger station. I camped out around the halfway point and had a beautiful spot with a great view of a clear night sky. Never in my life have I seen so many stars (but I hope to change that!) The last half it's pretty steep but it's well worth it for the view at the top. when you got to the top where the middle and South loops or marked take the middle loop trial in the center and this will take you back to where you started. I will absolutely hike this and camp here again. Also there's absolutely zero cell phone service on AT& t.

Came to Minister Creek in spring 2018 for my first ever backpacking experience & I loved it. Now I'm this week in the fall. This will be a annual trip for me! Twice a year!

good hike, we didn't see the second half of the trail because we bush whacked at deerlick camp which was a big mistake. nice area though.

great scenery and tons of rock formations. beautiful trail, definitely worth doing

As far as trail running goes, this was a difficult trail, but I like difficult. It was challenging, as my slower pace per mile indicated. Did get turned around a couple of times. But trail had it all— huge boulders, creek crossings, vistas....

bridge out

I love this trail and am happy to see that the blaze and signage has improved! Some new blow down was partially cleared. Th gnats were horrible but it IS August! Overall, a great hike!

Deacon & Dad overnight camp trip 8/4/2019

Really nice trail. Well marked with mild elevation. Beautiful natural features to enjoy. One small section is very overgrown with brambles. Looks like an area that may have been logged in recent years, otherwise well maintained.

We were the only people on the trail on a Monday morning. Two adults and a dog. A lot of huge rocks along the trail as well as some interesting trees growing on top of large rocks. Several creek crossings and some mud, but very passable. The climbs were steady and a few rolling hills. Most of the trail was fully shaded.

If you want to camp on this trail there are many many little creeks not marked on the maps but few obvious spots. The best spots are in the areas after the first junction with the North Country trail if you are going clockwise. When the trail drops back to the main river from either direction there are plenty of developed camping spots, which means wood can be hard to find. Very pretty areas tho!

BEAUTIFUL! if you like giant climbing stones, this is where its at. good camping too

Did this trail last Saturday alone. Great scenery. Trail was well marked. However, western side of the trail just before the rocks (I did the loop counter clockwise) was significantly overgrown with thicket and brush. But this small part was not representative of the entire trail. Beautiful stream crossings, valley overlooks and of course the rocks. And thank goodness for the rocks! Stuck in two separate thunderstorms but luckily had the shelter of the rock ledges. I would highly recommend this trail