Mingo Creek County Park Loop Trail

Mingo Creek County Park Loop Trail is a 3.3 mile loop trail located near Eighty Four, Pennsylvania and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

We took the dog for a hike on a weekend afternoon. We entered the trail through the dog park where you are allowed to take dogs off leash. From there we did about an hour and a half of trail hiking through the wooded area connected to the dog park. It seems like a popular destination for dog walking and families. There are signs for horse trails, but we didn’t see any horses that day. We passed a few hikers and a good amount of people walking with their dogs along the way.
Wear your repellent and stay covered up. Ticks are abundant in the area.
Trails are well worn and easy to pick out. There are some steep and muddy areas.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Nice hike. The beginning needs more trail markers but it was still easy to navigate.

Monday, May 29, 2017

Very nice trail. Plenty of bathrooms too!

Sunday, April 09, 2017

My favorite running spot!!!!

Wednesday, March 08, 2017

Been going here for 20 years! Simply love it!

Thursday, August 18, 2016

this is a great little park...but i agree with the others. the off road trails can be difficult to navigate because they lack the markers.

i do a fair amount of trail running there which makes it fun because you dont know where youll end up.

should be a volunteer group together to mark the trails.

i go 1 - 2 times per week

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

The park is gorgeous. It has many beautiful views. It consists of hiking trails, biking, walking sections ect. I attempted the hiking trail and after over an hour of no trail markers, had to turn back. Many of the trails split and circle with no indication of the road or a new trail. I still feel the area is very pretty but the hiking trails need markers.

Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Good

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Good walk

Monday, May 23, 2016

Fairly easy trail. My dog especially likes it.

Monday, March 14, 2016

Steep climbs in several spots. The scenery is lush green in summer months and falls brings a beautiful display of colors. It's nice to know there is a place one can escape to that is not dotted with buildings. Quiet. Not usually crowded. I wish it were longer, however.

Friday, November 20, 2015

The trails are not well marked but there are some nice views. You can make your hike as hard or as easy as you like. I'll definitely go back to that park.

Saturday, May 23, 2015

This wasn't actually a loop trail...it was a 2.8 mile stretch and you had to go out and back. It was nice...a mix of shade and sun and not too crowded. I walked the paved trail but noticed some hiking trails through the woods off the main one. Lots of folks with dogs (on leash only) and bicycles.

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Beautiful densely wooded county park. huge off leash dog area, much nicer than South Park. There are a decent amount of long trails with moderate elevation, suitable for afternoon hike or walk with the dog! many picnic areas in the park off the trails.

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Exciting afternoon! I walked my dog up in the observatory area. We even did a bit of the perimeter trail. On the way down, on the level part walking back to the car, a deer ran out of the woods chased by three coyotes right in front of us. A backpacker who hikes up there had told me she heard a pack of coyotes howling. Well, now I have proof!

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

I have hiked around Mingo Creek Park since I was a child. Recently I have been hiking in the observatory/group campground area a lot with my dog. I do not see the perimeter trail as something you hike all at once. I agree with some of the reviews below that parts of it are poorly marked, muddy, and dangerous. There are so many trails all over the park. There are great trails up by the observatory, including parts of the perimeter trail. I'd say walk bits and pieces of the perimeter trail at a time as parts of other walks.

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Trail very poorly marked. Numerous unmarked trails intersect trail and trail meanders through meadows and road crossing with no markings to indicate correct direction. Potentially dangerous as many trails go onto private property that is logged. A major headache. Trail is not 5 miles (at least twice that). Muddy in places. It would be a very nice hike if someone would mark the trail properly. Would not recommend it unless you have all day to compensate for all the wrong turns you will take.

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Today I hiked the entire perimeter (horse) trail. Its about 13.5 miles. Its a tough trail. Total climb was just under 2000'. Very muddy now; trekking poles were necessary. Great workout, though. Constant up and down.

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Very nice park. I hiked over 11 miles, over most of the park. Great scenery, and some challenging hills. Lots of fun. Also tons of paved trails for biking. I will definitely stop by again, when I'm in the area.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

parked close to the western entrance and hiked along the paved trail to the eastern. on the way back i walked up to the observatory and then tried a few of the horse trails. those trails aren't marked very well and it is easy to get lost. i had downloaded the maplets map for the park. even with that, one could become lost. got back on the paved trail near the horse trailer parking area on the eastern side of the park and hiked back.

Monday, September 10, 2012

Today my boyfriend and I completed the trail that runs the perimeter of the park. He thinks it falls somewhere between 12 and 15 miles in distance....i think for sure it was at least 15. It took 6 hours, and it almost kicked my butt! There are beautiful views and lovely forest settings all along this trail. Topographically, there were lots of hills, but they never seemed too much to get through. They were long enough to challenge. and just short enough not to discourage a novice hiker. Although not well-marked (i didn't need markings because my boyfriend has been hiking and biking that park for 10+years), Mingo's trails are very well-maintained. I suggest that you pick up a trail map at the park office.
Today was a perfect beginning of fall day. We prefer fall and winter hiking because spring and summer rains can make the trails extremely muddy. Besides the extensive trail system, Mingo also has some wonderful pavilions, playground areas, and other amenities that make this one of our favorite local treasures.

Friday, August 17, 2012

There is now a paved walking/biking path that runs almost the length of the park. Starting near the Henry Covered Bridge the path winds back and forth across the main road for the first 0.5 miles. Traffic through the park usually isn't bad so its not much of an issue, just keep an eye out especially if you have little ones with you. Once you get to the 'Leash-Free Area' you are about half way. At this point I join the main road as I'm not ready to make the hill climb that goes up to the dog park area (on a bicycle). The path winds back to the creek and across the Ebenezer Covered Bridge. About .25 miles from there is the steepest climb, not horrible but not simple. Another 0.5 to .75 of a mile takes you to the end of the path. One way the path is about 2.7 miles long.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Trail was difficult to follow in some areas due to lack of trail markings or blazes. Overall good experience and will go again. The rest of the park is very well maintained.

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Beware if there has been a lot of rain because this trail is heavily used by horseback riders and turns pretty muddy. I hike here with my kids and sometimes they sink to their thighs in mud.

We like the park and the trail. I agree with a previous poster that the trail entrances could be marked better but all things considered it's a great county park to hike, fish, run, or have a picnic in.

Sunday, December 04, 2011

Good trails for horseback riding from easy to moderate to difficult. I agree that trails are not very well marked. If you come to a "Y" in the trail, remember that left goes up and right goes back down into the park and civilization.

Thursday, October 06, 2011

It's ok if you have nothing else to do.

Monday, August 01, 2011

Please don't take my rating to heart. This park and trail was great. I am definitely going to go back. The only reason the rating is low is it is hard to find Trail entrances, and trail markings are very badly placed. Though i believe once you go a few times that the area is easily mastered and a great place to hike. I am definitely going back.