Middle Creek Elders Run Trail

Middle Creek Elders Run Trail is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Stevens, Pennsylvania that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

A nice loop hike with some old ruins at about the halfway point A nice little two hour hike. From the trailhead immediately go right and follow the yellow blazes (this portion is on the Horseshoe Trail). The first portion is all uphill, but it's easily managed, even with young children. Take a left at the "big" intersection to go onto the Elders Run trail. The ruins will be on your right after you've gone a couple of hundred yards. Take another left after crossing the bridge and follow the stream back to your starting point. The trail can be muddy (and buggy) at times so wear appropriate footwear and bring bug repellant!

Great family hike for our family of five. Did it twice this week switching up the loop direction. The sound of the nearby flowing Middle creek makes it a peaceful and relaxing experience.

Awesome ruins of what appears to have been a log cabin. Great hike for the wintertime!

My go to hike when I want to get out for a little bit. Never see anyone on it.

We did a 3 mile loop on the trails then drove over to Willow Point. Trails can have a bit of a climb and, during late summer anyway, were being squeezed by undergrowth at some points. Found some ruins along a trail running south of the reservoir. The walk out to Willow Point and the point itself was very pleasant.

Pros: Relatively short trails. Large visitor center with facilities.

Cons: Numerous intersecting trails can get a little confusing (park is too small to worry about getting lost though)

we went late morning with our 5 year old and black lab. we had a great hike, stopped off for some lunch we packed in a nice clearing. it would get a 5☆, however the one section for about 10 minutes was very over grown with brier bushes. other than that, I would defiantly hike it again !

Parked at the visitor center, which is very nice and worth checking out. First segment was through field of wildflowers then eventually got into the woods. Overall a very nice hike with some cool views of Middle Creek and Elder's Run down in the southern part of the loop. There are some steep inclines/declines and I would definitely rate this as moderate as opposed to "Easy". I was glad to have picked up a brochure with the trail maps. Using that and the All Trails app certainly helped with our navigation as some of the trails are oddly marked or not marked at all. There are also a lot of tempting offshoots but we decided to stay the course and stick with the plan.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Relatively easy hike. Two children along for the hike.
The views are beautiful. The trails in this area are very well kept but not always well marked.

Monday, April 24, 2017

Nice trail. Easy terrain and dog friendly.

Friday, February 24, 2017

Easy trail, beautiful along the creek, not much elevation, very nice for an easy hike.

Wednesday, November 09, 2016

Trail was extremely easy and more towards the boring side, completed in no time. I took my 2 shepherds with me, the trail was tiny and rocky at times, common for PA but terrible for taking 2 huge dogs and they were covered in ticks when we left. The trail is marked, but not incredibly well, but it's also hard to miss where you're going. I wouldn't be in a hurry to go back.

Monday, September 05, 2016

great trail but can get confusing on the loop . not for beginners! terrain is unstable and large portions are uphill. scenic and cool hidden treasures along the way. wear bug spray for ticks and mosquitoes! recommended age 8 and up!

Monday, September 05, 2016

Not trail for beginners:(

Thursday, August 04, 2016

First 2 legs were great but the last leg along power lines not maintained got confusing and over grown found a deer path half way down and finished through the woods. Got a little frustrating considering I had my daughter along. We were loving the trail until that point. So beware once you get to that point. In hind sight we should of doubled back at third leg but didn't know what we were getting into at that point.... Good luck!

Wednesday, April 06, 2016

Over half of this "trail" is dirt road. It opens up with a pretty significant climb up a logging road to Horseshoe Trail. Horseshoe trail eventually turns into an actual trail. Since we went left the trail was relatively steep and rocky. This trail should definitely be considered moderate as opposed to easy because first time hikers are going to find this terrain difficult at best.

We were very disappointed. Because much of the trail is attached to logging efforts, there was little to no wildlife. We heard one wood pecker, saw one squirrel and two blue birds. We will never return to this trail and I would not recommend it to anyone.

Sunday, April 03, 2016

Nice hike along the creek. Cool old cabin foundation along the way with a old spring house. Very dog friendly.

Sunday, November 29, 2015

Good trail, light elevation climb. Good exercise. Things to see along the trail.

Sunday, September 13, 2015

I did a loop of Middle Creek Trail to Elder's Run to Horse-shoe trail, 3.75 miles total. Good hike, couple of steeper rocky parts but mostly easy. Nice views of the creek and woods. Would definitely do this again.

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Nice trail for the first two legs but it gets confusing when you have to find the last part of the trail. My girlfriend and I are not the most experienced hikers and we ended up taking the wrong way.

Monday, April 28, 2014

I walked from dam head to the end of middle creek trail. from there look left and take the narrow unmarked trail. it eventually loops back to laural road. nice 4 Mile hike .

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Great day hike. Good for all levels. Some trails are steep with many switchbacks and some are flat and very easy for beginners. Too hot? Then stop at the museum and cool off while listening to a great presentation by one of the volunteers. Lots of wildlife to be seen, great place to photographs many species of birds.

Friday, August 02, 2013

Good trail for a lazy Sunday walk.

Friday, June 21, 2013

The scenery is beautiful. Very nice indoor welcome/information center. I wish the trails were connected or at least marked better so that we could find more without getting back in the car and driving until we found another one.

Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Went to see the snow geese. Very beautiful

Friday, August 12, 2011

The first two legs of the trail were pretty great, but when we had to intersect with different trails, it was confusing to find out which way to go. Caution to beginners--- not very well marked at all. We came out of one trail along the powerlines, and had to bushwhack Pennsylvania's very tall and very thorny wildlife to find an overgrown trail for about a mile.

Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Fun easy trail. Nice view at top. Well marked.

Thursday, September 23, 2010

like to do the middle creek trail to horseshoe trail then loop back to beginning.