Loyalsock Trail

Loyalsock Trail is a 54.2 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Laporte, Pennsylvania that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 54.2 miles Elevation Gain: 10,482 feet Route Type: Point to Point

rock climbing

bridge out

Route 220 on the east side and Route 42 on the west..

Back for my thru hike review. This trail is definitely a double black diamond. It is hard with steep elevation gains and just as steep descents. The first mile is quite difficult since it’s just a rock climb, you get a couple miles reprieve to rest then it’s right back down with very technical footing needed for the drop. The entire length of the trail is steep ascents with a ridge or knob for a rest then steep descent to the next creek. It was unusually dry this last few days of September, so our water supply had to be well thought out for each days trip. We did the trail with three nights and four days hiking. The highlight was a night climb up high rock trail with only headlamps! What an experience!!! (so we could get out of the park and set up camp) we decided on pumping out 21 miles that day. All in all i highly recommend this trail and am a little surprised it doesn’t get more press? It’s very challenging to say the least but so rewarding. As far as the trail record being 15 hours, I’m not sure I’m drinking that kool-aid. Are there official accounts? Records and witnesses for the attempt? When and who was this super-human? If you love a hike, and a mental challenge don’t miss this one. Get out there and do it.

This trail was amazingly beautiful but very challenging. Just about all types of terrain were provided. I did this in 4 days 3 nights. I went west to east. Probably should have allowed for an additional day. However, All Trails says it is 54 miles but in actuality it is 59.4 from start to finish so I’m not sure why All Trails is off by such a big amount. I noticed the same thing with other trails but this is the biggest discrepancy of about 6 miles. Im not sure how this app acquires it’s info but if you do this trail make sure you use other websites or apps to determine mileage. Don’t use All Trails since it is not accurate. All in all this was a great trail.

First big through hike. This trail offers everything! Climbing, descending, waterfalls, mountain views, river views, forest walking, short reprieves on flat ground, wildlife encounters, the list goes on and on! Highly challenging, but rewarding. Very rocky, roots, and some wet marshy areas. To be expected. I hammock tented the entire four day, three night trip and had plenty of options for camping locations. I wish I would have brought one more extra pair of socks and longer pants, the dew in the morning on the low level vegetation in section one and two soaked my feet the first day and the nettles! What a pain! They were almost everywhere! The guide book is spot on, highly suggest reading it through and getting the details. It helped a great deal! I enjoyed this hike and can see myself doing it again at a slower pace to enjoy it more! Thanks to the Alpine Club of Williamsport for maintaining this trail!

Just hiked a few small sections with my wife and I in August 2019. My son and I will be doing thru-hike at the end of September and this was basically a recon trip. From what I encountered this trail is not for the faint of heart, if you’re not in hiking shape you will struggle. The trail goes from steep climbs right into steep descent with few breaks. There were areas of rock scrambles that were difficult to stay on the trail. Don’t even get me started about the nettles. However all that pain delivers with a beautiful forest, paths, streams, and waterfalls. We worked very hard but we’re constantly rewarded with the things that take us to the trail in the first place. I believe if you’re a tent camper you may struggle to find sufficient spots for a good nights layout, our thru-hike in September will be hammock sleeping in the trees. Can’t wait for the thru-hike even though I know parts will be extremely tough, they’ll also have extreme payback.

Highly recommend. Plenty of water. Great with my little guy, 8yo first big hike

9.8 miles in this section Access Miller Trail- LT-Big Grandad- Little Grandad- LT to Little Painter(1.8 miles) We seen 10 people on trail today!!

scenic driving
private property

There is one small .2 of a mile section that runs along the road on an old farm road that is not drivable. A portion of the end of this section is a private property driveway and the trail leads off into the woods from there.

private property

5 miles of LT Portion is rerouted from the map recording Non-scenic section of fallen timber Old farm roads and foundations Access trail end using a section of the Miller Trail

6 miles of the LT 7 stream crossings, only 2 note worthy that needed to find a route across. No waterfalls or anything particularly scenic along this section.

1.7 miles of LT

Sun Dec 02 2018

Great trail hiked 46 miles of it in September and finished the last 13 a few weeks ago. If you plan to hike the entire trail the maps and guide from the alpine club of williamsport is very helpful. A few spots need some more markers or the markers moved to a more visible position. Lots of water available just be careful if you go after a rain storm as water collects along the trail in a lot of spots and crosses a few streams.

Fri Aug 31 2018

I spend a lot of time on the LTI love it

Fri Jun 15 2018

Awesome trail!!! Amazing views and places to camp can’t wait to do it again!!!

Thu Sep 28 2017

Incredible trail with varying difficulties all throughout. 9/17 - 9/22 with a day break at World's End SP. I wished I didn't take a break since I did it by myself, I felt like I was just wasting time at World's End. I wouldn't trust mile markers. After a while I just assumed that I was at least an eighth or a quarter mile behind what the mile marker said. Great shoes and poles are a must! There were handful of muddy trails that made me wish I had hiking boots instead of trail runners. Many primitive camp site options every 5 to 10 miles. I stayed at all the potential campsites mentioned in the trail guide book and they were all excellent with fire rings and close proximity to water source. So many breathtaking vistas! I can't wait to go back to see all the beautiful parts of the trail and fully enjoy it. If you are starting from western end, you can leave your car/gear at Little bear creek road lot. Walk 1.5 miles to the trail head, and do the most difficult part of the trail without your gear as you'll pass the parking lot after about 4 miles in the trail. I highly encourage doing this as the first few miles will absolutely kick your butt. With AT&T I had spotty signals for first day or two then absolutely nothing until I was about 4~5 miles from finish. At World's End they have a public phone that you can either make collect call (landline only no cell#) or use calling card. At ranger station, the lady was nice enough to let me use the office phone to let my wife know that I was doing ok. Be prepared! and enjoy!

Sun Aug 27 2017

I have hiked 2 sections of this incredible trail. This trail offers the challenge of everything you would hope and more. It will kick your ass and offer tranquility. The ridges are beautiful, the vistas are breathtaking, tons of water spots to cool off and recharge, the pinnacles are so very different atop each mountain. I love this area and it is a gem in PA. Be sure to wear great socks and boots, the trail is at times rocky and very slippery.

Thu Aug 17 2017

Excellent backpacking trail. Completed the entire trail in five days, with one those days used to rest in Worlds End SP. Saw a lot of wildlife including black bear and timber rattlesnakes. Many great overlooks and is a great cross section of a Pennsylvania back country forest. I have day hiked many portions of the trail several times. The section from below High Knob into Worlds End SP is good as well as challenging. Recommend doing the whole thing if you get a chance. West to east.