Loyalsock Trail

Loyalsock Trail is a 59.2 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Montoursville, Pennsylvania that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Point to Point

ice climbing

rock climbing

bridge out

old growth

Route 220 on the east side and Route 42 on the west..

Excellent backpacking trail. Completed the entire trail in five days, with one those days used to rest in Worlds End SP. Saw a lot of wildlife including black bear and timber rattlesnakes. Many great overlooks and is a great cross section of a Pennsylvania back country forest.
I have day hiked many portions of the trail several times. The section from below High Knob into Worlds End SP is good as well as challenging.
Recommend doing the whole thing if you get a chance. West to east.

This was an amazing hike with views. Mile for mile definitely one of the best hikes I've been on. It was difficult and I would recommend to anyone and would go back myself. Miles 30-45 were my favorite along with the final two mile stretch. Gorgeous!!!!

I did this trail solo in three days...cut five miles off at the end by skipping world's end because I injured my knee on mile four.

This trail does not follow a Ridgeline, it cuts across many ridge lines so you are constantly either descending or ascending. The terrain was pretty challenging as well. I do remember it was very beautiful but I would never hike this in its entirety again (but maybe that's more because Im more of a day tripper)

This trail has everything an experienced backpacker would enjoy! From the views to the waterfalls and all the bird songs to keep the morale up along the way. It's one of PA finest trails around.

Did the trail about a month ago. The trail book is a big help, but you will not have to worry a bit about lack of blazing. The mileage on the blazing isn't always correct, but it's forgivable. Campsites are plentiful and some can support 3-4 tents. Water is also plentiful. It's a tough trail with more than a few hard sections. All in all, it's more than worth it.

Excellent place for backpacking! Absolutely gorgeous forest.

Who writes the descriptions of these trails? Loyalsock is a 59.2 mile trail, point to point. There is a loop option that is 22.9 miles. I have done the entire loop and about 15-20 miles of the thru hike on top of that, spent 6 nights and 7 days exploring the trail. It's absolutely gorgeous. They have so many primitive campsite setups with awesome fire pits and seats made out of rocks or stones.

So many different terrains it's unbelievable. Waterfalls, rivers, ponds, mossy areas, piney areas! This hike will kick your ass and take your breath away. Probably one of the best, most challenging options in the entire tri-state area. I would have gone crazy this summer had I not found this hike, as I am from the Canadian Rockies, and really missed the satisfaction of conquering mountains, and solitude the forest offers.

Monday, August 01, 2016

Went hiking with my dog, great times and beautiful sights!

Saturday, April 23, 2016

absolutely love loyalsock trail. even the loop trails are amazing. I still wanna do the whole 59 miles thru. so far just overnights or 2 nights all along the trail. love it though!

Monday, March 07, 2016

Me and my boyfriend and dog just finished the first half of this trail from the trailhead at Route 87 to Dry Run Road (around 30 miles so half). This trail is very difficult in many areas and has a lot A LOT of mild to difficult stream crossings and much elevation change in short distances. Even for regular backpackers like us we only accomplished 15 miles in the first day and we started at 9 am. I also want to clarify the we carried a backpacking GPS for mileage and the mile markers on the trail and in the Loyalsock Trail Guide are not accurate. We noticed this in the first 10 miles. It is disheartening and should be fixed. Having said that we will return and finish the other half soon. Very intense trail in central PA! Not for the weak willed!

Thursday, February 11, 2016

Hiked this trail last year with a couple of buddies over a three day back-packing weekend in mid Feb after getting about 18” of fresh powder. We made the decision to do it with snow-shoes at the last minute, which was a great decision because it would’ve been impossible otherwise. Turns out we were going to be the only people out there that weekend, according to the ranger we checked in with before starting out. The goal was to do about 7-8 miles per day, which we which accomplished but it sure wasn’t easy. The trail goes up and down the mountain side almost continuously and gets pretty technical in some parts, which is no small feat with iced-globbed snow shoes and 50lbs on your back. There was a couple scenic vistas worthwhile to see. The hike altogether was brutal and we all were utterly exhausted. Will never to this again under those conditions, but a good strong hike for perhaps the spring and/or fall time.

Sunday, November 01, 2015

It was beautiful. Had a lot of great views. A lot of up and downs and rock climbing also.

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Hard trail lots of rain and snow

@Th'e '6w '!by z@