Loyalsock Trail is a 54.2 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Laporte, Pennsylvania that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 54.2 miles Elevation Gain: 10,482 feet Route Type: Point to Point

rock climbing

bridge out

Route 220 on the east side and Route 42 on the west..

Completed approximately 20 miles from Coal Mine Rd to Mead Rd. Nice waterfalls, some cool campsites set up along route (nice work to whomever set-up), a few nice vistas, but kind of monotonous. Lots of mud along trail and it hadn’t rained in 3 days, it was a here we go again routine to try to find a path around blown out trail. Now let’s talk about the rattlesnakes that everyone likes to mention: I saw no rattlesnakes or signs of rattlesnakes during my 2 days in late May. Yes, they are out there, but want no part of you. Despite what some people like to portray, they are not lining the trails and falling off of trees. If you see one, you are fortunate, so enjoy it.

Is it hiking like hike all day camp at night and so on till you finish. As in make your own campsites as you go,

I love the LT (: Haven’t backpacked, but usually do the trail in three day hike sections, each about 20 miles. 87 - Crystal Lake Camp Road, Crystal Lake Camp Road to Worlds End / Coal Mine Road intersection, Worlds End / Coal Mine Road to 220. I prefer starting at 87 to get the grueling climb done first. It’s a lot of elevation in that first mile (: A steady combination of climbs, flat portions and descents complete with vistas, following or crossing creeks, and opportunity to see wildlife. I’ve seen plenty of deer, birds, snakes, turkeys, and even a porcupine (from a safe distance). Hope you enjoy the LT as much as I do (: I usually always bring the dog. I do tend to keep him on leash since the porcupine spotting and more people are out recently. There is one portion you will have difficulty with if you have a dog (a ladder - Rode’s falls) but there is an alternate route! (: Also wanted to note that there is water pretty consistently every 5ish miles. I carry my supply and a bottle for the dog just in case he needs it between water sources.

Amazing hike that doesn’t get nearly as much attention as it should. Lots of elevation gain and quite the fun workout with a full pack on. Thankfully all the waterfalls and vistas make the steep ascents/descents worth it. First mile is pretty steep, so be prepared. Trail was a little swampy in parts, but that made it all the more fun! Happy hiking!

This is more a question. I am hoping to do this in a few weeks but it says the trail is dog friendly. From what I am hearing ... doesn't sound like it. Those who have hiked it, what's your take on this?

Back for my thru hike review. This trail is definitely a double black diamond. It is hard with steep elevation gains and just as steep descents. The first mile is quite difficult since it’s just a rock climb, you get a couple miles reprieve to rest then it’s right back down with very technical footing needed for the drop. The entire length of the trail is steep ascents with a ridge or knob for a rest then steep descent to the next creek. It was unusually dry this last few days of September, so our water supply had to be well thought out for each days trip. We did the trail with three nights and four days hiking. The highlight was a night climb up high rock trail with only headlamps! What an experience!!! (so we could get out of the park and set up camp) we decided on pumping out 21 miles that day. All in all i highly recommend this trail and am a little surprised it doesn’t get more press? It’s very challenging to say the least but so rewarding. As far as the trail record being 15 hours, I’m not sure I’m drinking that kool-aid. Are there official accounts? Records and witnesses for the attempt? When and who was this super-human? If you love a hike, and a mental challenge don’t miss this one. Get out there and do it.

This trail was amazingly beautiful but very challenging. Just about all types of terrain were provided. I did this in 4 days 3 nights. I went west to east. Probably should have allowed for an additional day. However, All Trails says it is 54 miles but in actuality it is 59.4 from start to finish so I’m not sure why All Trails is off by such a big amount. I noticed the same thing with other trails but this is the biggest discrepancy of about 6 miles. Im not sure how this app acquires it’s info but if you do this trail make sure you use other websites or apps to determine mileage. Don’t use All Trails since it is not accurate. All in all this was a great trail.

First big through hike. This trail offers everything! Climbing, descending, waterfalls, mountain views, river views, forest walking, short reprieves on flat ground, wildlife encounters, the list goes on and on! Highly challenging, but rewarding. Very rocky, roots, and some wet marshy areas. To be expected. I hammock tented the entire four day, three night trip and had plenty of options for camping locations. I wish I would have brought one more extra pair of socks and longer pants, the dew in the morning on the low level vegetation in section one and two soaked my feet the first day and the nettles! What a pain! They were almost everywhere! The guide book is spot on, highly suggest reading it through and getting the details. It helped a great deal! I enjoyed this hike and can see myself doing it again at a slower pace to enjoy it more! Thanks to the Alpine Club of Williamsport for maintaining this trail!

Just hiked a few small sections with my wife and I in August 2019. My son and I will be doing thru-hike at the end of September and this was basically a recon trip. From what I encountered this trail is not for the faint of heart, if you’re not in hiking shape you will struggle. The trail goes from steep climbs right into steep descent with few breaks. There were areas of rock scrambles that were difficult to stay on the trail. Don’t even get me started about the nettles. However all that pain delivers with a beautiful forest, paths, streams, and waterfalls. We worked very hard but we’re constantly rewarded with the things that take us to the trail in the first place. I believe if you’re a tent camper you may struggle to find sufficient spots for a good nights layout, our thru-hike in September will be hammock sleeping in the trees. Can’t wait for the thru-hike even though I know parts will be extremely tough, they’ll also have extreme payback.

Sat Jun 01 2019

Highly recommend. Plenty of water. Great with my little guy, 8yo first big hike

Sat May 18 2019

9.8 miles in this section Access Miller Trail- LT-Big Grandad- Little Grandad- LT to Little Painter(1.8 miles) We seen 10 people on trail today!!

scenic driving
private property
Sat May 04 2019

There is one small .2 of a mile section that runs along the road on an old farm road that is not drivable. A portion of the end of this section is a private property driveway and the trail leads off into the woods from there.

private property
Sat May 04 2019

5 miles of LT Portion is rerouted from the map recording Non-scenic section of fallen timber Old farm roads and foundations Access trail end using a section of the Miller Trail