Loyalsock Loop Trail

Loyalsock Loop Trail is a 22.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Montoursville, Pennsylvania that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Just hiked this trail with my buddy yesterday (3/14/2018)-(3/15/2018) and man it was a tough one for sure. We planned on camping two nights but there was a lot more snow on the ground than we anticipated. The snow averaged anywhere from 5-9 inches throughout the trail. Wednesday we walked in roughly 5 miles and camped by the Iron Bridge after parking off of 220. There were three campsites and they were all really nice with stone fire pits! We woke up pretty cold to the weather in the teens and the wind blowing which we were expecting but once we got hiking we were fine. We made great time along the LT even in the snow because it was really well marked with blazes on a tree almost every 10 feet. It was a little slippery at times but were were prepared so we had little issues. We made it to the visitor center in worlds end state park quite swiftly around 2pm after starting our hike around 9:30am. We decided we didn't want to stay another night on the trail so we skipped where we were going to camp and hustled back to the car. The link trail was nice but there wasn't a whole lot to look at other than the vista in the very beginning. The link was only marked maybe every 30 yards and was a bit hard to navigate especially in the snow so this is why I have given the loop 4 stars. I would definitely hike the LT again but as far as the link goes I don't think I would hike that section again. I hope this review is helpful!!!

Nice campsites along Sones Pond and Loyalsock River. Recommend the Loyalsock-Link Trail loop

Hiked it yesterday it was awesome a little bit much for 1 day at this time of year can’t wait to do it again

We just did the Loyalsock/Link Loop this weekend and had a great time. We went clockwise from the visitor center and did a one night stay at the pond. Some hard assents and decent on both legs, but very well marked which is always appreciated. Beautiful and diverse scenery, I would definitely recommend it!

this was a huffer for sure. we camped about 8.5 miles in near trail register, further back is a nice secluded camp with a rock couch. i would suggest a water filtration device as water is scarce. getting to sones pond from iron bridge in my opinion was the more difficult section of this trail. nice change of scenery throughout. the worlds end park office had nice bathrooms and a free phone to make calls if you wanted. the trail down from high rock vista was my favorite with all of the rock formations, canyon vista had best view and i would also watch out for swampy areas. we finished this trail in one overnight stay. would do again. saw 1 turkey as well.

Wednesday, February 01, 2017

took this in late October. beautiful!

Sunday, November 27, 2016

Me and my dogs did day hikes of the trail I just keep them in sight but they have to greet all hikers

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Gorgeous trail, some steep stretches, great campsites

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

I hiked this trail January 16-18 2016. We started at the office and hiked clockwise. The initial ascent was a pretty good climb, but with fresh legs it wasn't bad. There was some snow and ice on the ground that made many parts of this trail just a little harder.

We camped at the first campsite at Sones pond on Saturday night. I would recommend the last campsite here. That one seemed a better protected from the pond. Especially if it is windy.

The Iron bridge is closed to vehicle traffic but as of now you are able to walk across it.

We stayed at the campsite right after Cold Run road. This is known as Devils Playground on some maps. There was a stream near the site. This area was very rocky and wet and it made for some difficulty putting up four small tents. Monday we woke up to a fresh layer of snow.

We were following three other hikers the whole time until we passed by them the last day. We had 5 runners pass us with saws. They were clearing the trail for an upcoming ultra-marathon. It was nice since they removed a lot of down trees along the trail. We saw 4 day hikers and 2 mountain bikers. So we did have some company while hiking but we never had to share a vista or a campsite.

All in all this was a nice scenic trail with a few decent climbs and descents. It was a very muddy trail in some parts. So be prepared to have wet and muddy feet most of the time during wet seasons. The LT was marked very well with the Link Trail only having a few spots where I questioned the direction the trail went.

Wednesday, September 09, 2015

We did this trail in reverse over Labor Day Weekend 2015- 2 nights and 2.5 days, using the Alpine Club of Williamsport Guide. The trail is well-marked and the guide was spot on. There were a few switchbacks: ascending from The Haystacks to the W&NB RR after the Register at mile marker 53; at Tom's Run/Alpine Falls. The water was hardly there anymore with it being late Summer.
As for the guide, the only thing I wish that could have been pointed out is the exact location of the Link Trail Entry point which was directly behind the World's End SP. It was a beautiful experience that I would do it again.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Great hike and even better camping spots. I did 16 miles of this trail twice and most recently took my younger brother and nephew to give them their first overnight/outdoor experience. They loved it! Once we got to the CCC, we camped about another 1/2 mile into the trail right along the river. I actually landed this spot once before and it's perfect if you want to go swimming and even do some cliff diving. Great hikes for dogs and at times can be a bit "terrainy", but not a bad hike for second or third timers.

Monday, June 03, 2013

Great trail; several nice waterfalls, a couple of vistas, plenty of water & campsites. For a slightly shorter, 2-day, 1-night trip (about 20 miles) you could start at World's End SP, on the Link Trail half of the loop, and camp along Loyalsock Creek below Rte 154, or at the Haystacks (+4 miles round trip), then take the LT section back to the park.

Monday, December 10, 2012

Pretty significant elevation gain. Lots of good places to camp. Lots of nice scenery and great vistas. Trail is notoriously swampy in some areas. Very rocky in others. But all around this is a great hike.

Thursday, October 21, 2010

One of the best hikes in the state. I have done the Northern end a few times, starting off route 220, the Haystacks are really cool and there are some nice camping spots.

Sunday, July 17, 2016