Lehigh Gorge Trail

Lehigh Gorge Trail is a 24 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near White Haven, Pennsylvania that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 24.0 miles Elevation Gain: 780 feet Route Type: Point to Point

Great trail. We took the shuttle from Jim Thorpe to White Haven. Took us 2 1/2 hours to complete the ride. We stopped at a couple waterfalls.

Took bike train up to Whitehaven and biked trail back to Jim Thorpe. Trail overall is in great shape, there were a few spots along trail where crushed stone was a bit soft but generally hard packed. Trail goes along train tracks for 3 miles or so outside of Jim Thorpe. Only facilities are about 1/2 way at a raft launch area. Bring plenty of water and snacks. Definitely do this again.

Great multi-purpose trail. This is an old railroad route along the Lehigh River. Highly recommend bike riding the entire trail down to Jim Thorpe.

Thu Oct 25 2018

Nice easy hike. 2 waterfalls about a quarter mile opposite each other from the parking area. Walk along the Lehigh Gorge River for a very.leisurely walk. Grandkids loved playing at the bottom of Buttermilk Falls. Gets busy on weekends with bikers coming down from White Haven during the summer. We go about once a month even during the winter and see something different evrrytime.

Sun Aug 05 2018

A very nice trail with paths that are very fitting to the name. It was my first time hiking there and I absolutely loved it.

Sun Jul 15 2018

Did this trail on a weekday in September and only saw a handful of people on it. Steady decline that didn't require too much hard pedaling and numerous places to take a break along with taking some incredible photos. I parked in Jim Thorpe and had someone drop me off at the White Haven trailhead , which worked to perfection. Looking forward to coming back.

Sun May 06 2018

cant wait to go back

Wed Feb 21 2018

my wife and I hike this trail a lot, mostly on the winter. Hardly used in winter but can get real busy in spring and summer . Best part of this trail is I can be on it in minutes because it's barely a 100 yard from my house.

Thu Jul 27 2017

Easy flat trail with great views recommended for beginning hikers, trail runners or biking

Sun Jul 02 2017

great place to bike.

Sat Apr 22 2017

It is a good place for biking, snowmobiling and cross country skiing. I found it boring for hiking - the scenery is monotonous and the terrain is just flat.

Mon Feb 27 2017

Very good biking trail

Sun Sep 25 2016

Lehigh gorge is one of the most beautiful trail in PA

Mon Jul 04 2016

Flat, easy terrain for biking. My 8 year old daughter easily completed the 22 mile trek from Rockport to White Haven and back. I would've like to see more of the scenic river, but there aren't really any clearings to get a good view from the trail. There were several side hiking trails though that appeared to lead down to the river so we will definitely be back to check out some of those.

Wed Apr 27 2016

It's fun to bike down and take a shuttle back. I sometimes stay the night in JT and go back the next day. There's a swimming hole toward the end of the trail, also.

Sun Jan 03 2016

We started in Jim Thorpe and hiked the DL trail up to Glen Onoko Falls base. We never made it to the top but, plan to do it later in the year. It had beautiful views and very historic scenes to view and take in, from an abandon train tunnel to many scenic views

Mon Sep 21 2015

I biked the gorge from White Haven to Jim Thorpe and I'm waiting for the remainder of the trail to go in service. It's a great ride to just get out and go!!

Thu Oct 10 2013

This is a wonderful trail for casual rides. Great scenery along the river, a few waterfalls, and historic information on the trail side signs. The grade is so minor that most people don't notice it until it is time to turn around. In my opinion, if you plan to ride round trip start at Jim Thorpe for rides of more than about 15 miles, otherwise start at Rockport... either way, start out riding north so that you are going downhill on the second half of the ride. The area's best rail trail ride!

Wed Aug 07 2013

Biked from Whitehaven to Jim Thorpe with Boy Scout Troop 34. We loved it!

Thu Apr 18 2013

Try kayaking down awesome!!

Sun Apr 07 2013

I spent a couple hours getting to the top of the waterfall. It was a great view and worth the effort but be aware this isn't a leisurely stroll. Kids, older, or heavy people will need to take their time and may need some help along the way. There are plenty of other easy trails for all ages though good for bikes, strollers, or anything else.

Sat Jul 28 2012

We did this trail starting at Jim Thorp. The ride is beautiful. Bald Eagles, Deer, Wild Turkeys (not the drink), and I even saw a Rattlesnake. Starting at Jim Thorp was one of our mistakes as it is a very gradual incline, not a very steep one but none the less it will kick your butt if you do like we did and go all the way to White Haven. I would do the ride again only this time I will start at White Haven and go down hill, and I will plan better so that we can actually catch the shuttle next time and not get stuck...

Thu Jul 05 2012

This is the longest of the D&L trail that I have been able to find. It also is the best maintained. I love that I can spend a day biking from Jim Thorpe to White Haven. The other sections such from Bethlehem to Easton while pretty on a sunny day, don't take as long to complete. The Lehigh Gorge trail is the best section of the D&L trail that is open.

Mon May 21 2012

Great trail with wonderful views. We start at the White Haven trailhead, and ride a slight downhill easy ride 25+ miles to Jim Thorpe for dinner, etc. Buy a sandwich to take along at the grocer next to the trailhead, and enjoy a bus ride back to your car at the end of your day. Great fun.

Thu Oct 20 2011

I biked from Jim Thorpe to Rockport and back to Jim Thorpe. Even on a busy weekend with all the festivities in Jim Thorpe, parking was $5 and everything is very close. The trail is not cement, it's crumbled pieces of something but the bike ride wasn't bad. It took us about 2hrs to get to Rockport and come back and An even pace while occasionally stopping to take pictures of the waterfalls and river that at all times was parallel to us. No food at Rockport so make sure to pack a lunch. I would recommend this place to everyone. Great place!

bike touring