Lehigh Gap East Loop via Appalachian Trail

Lehigh Gap East Loop via Appalachian Trail is a 2.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lehigh, Pennsylvania that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September.

Should be set moderately difficult. There is some rock climbing to see the view no matter what while going on the white marked trail. Best plan would be to follow the white trail up and come back the blue marked trail. Other than that, it was worth it.

It is definitely not in the easy category unless you consider using your hands and feet climbing up a rock face a few hundred feet easy. Great views though.

We took the white Appalachian trail for the first .8 miles. It took some rock climbing, at points vertical. This may be "easy" for the young and spry but certainly not for the non seasoned hiker. We finished with the blue trail which is much easier and easy too follow but poorly marked. The bulk of the really beautiful views are on the Appalachian trail.

I do not agree that this is an easy trail. The AT side (with white blazes) has a stretch where you scramble up a rock field. I am 6' tall, but I have creaky 58 year old knees. Even at my height, some of the rocks were difficult to step up on to. Might be "easy" for a very fit person with young joints, but I think the majority of hikers would consider it moderate. Folks expecting a groomed, easy trail are in for a surprise. I went up the white side, down the blue side. Then took a second lap up and back down the blue side. Blue side might be considered easy (setting aside the 15-20% average grade going up the hill), but not the white side. All in all, a good hike. Some nice views, especially on the white side.

Nice and easy. Beautiful views.

Great views! Worth the uphill hike!

The Appalachian white blazed trail is not easy. Make sure you go up right at the sign and come down the blue blazed trail. If you do the loop the opposite way, you will be climbing down a steep Rocky Mountain. We took my 9 year old daughter, an experienced hiker, and I was quite nervous going up because we didn't know what the trail down would be like. The view at the top was well worth it though. Wear good hiking footwear, its very rocky at the top.