Lehigh Furnace Gap via Appalachian Trail

Lehigh Furnace Gap via Appalachian Trail is a 9.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Walnutport, Pennsylvania that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Views in the winter are much better, especially with snow providing a contrasting backdrop.

We did the Appalachian trail and Blue trail loop. Great day hike with views on blue trail

Great hike, though I'd call it an intermediate following the regular trail— only if one takes the south trail loop (as shown in map) does it become a difficult trail, with lots of seriously fun but occasionally treacherous rock scrambling. Great views at certain spots, there's a spring about one mile from the trailhead. Overall, a pretty decent day hike, even in late November.

Solid hike with my dog. Beautiful weather and some nice views. Just a few other hikers on the trail. Peaceful.

Great hike

First 1/2 mile is steady uphill but well worth it! Lots of snakes today (6 that we laid eyes on) but the views were spectacular! Trails are exceptionally well maintained and marked. Huge thank you to those who recently weed whacked the trails!

Amazing views! Favorite hike.

A tough uphill for the first mile or so but the North Trail views were spectacular and so worth the climb. Definitely going back in a few weeks.

Good hike...We turned this trail into a loop trail by starting with Woodpecker trail at the Nature Center, AT, then second entrance to the North Trail, came down to Charcoal trail and then Prairie Grass trail around back to Nature Center. Approx. 7 miles.

Good hike. Used five of the trails to make a 7 mile loop. Warning that the Charcoal trail is NOT well maintained. Had a great hike and the scenery was spot on. Great day!

Love this trail although be careful as the connecting winter trail shows up incorrectly on the app. We go totally lost for hours in the heat with no food or water left. It was a bad situation but than goodness we found our way back to the trail and met up with some awesome hikers that gave us water! Never leave the trails my friends!!!!

Nice trail with a fairly significant steady incline for the first 2 miles. Nice shade with rest area and flowing water too. Enjoy!

It was a great hike! Although it wasn't as difficult as the description said it'd be.

Great Hike!

I didn't go as far back as this trail says, but I did the loop. It is a fun, beautiful trail. You do need to be okay hiking uphill for a while, but I like that it's rocky and not completely smooth...which can be difficult for some people. the view isn't the best though, in spring trees block your way to seeing the other side of the gap

Parked at the Lehigh Gap Nature Center and took the AT 'straight up' to the second blue blazed North Trail. North Trail is a wide open ridge trail with great panoramic views. 6 miles with my dog. Will go
back and try to find the 'charcoal trail' next time for a longer loop back to the Nature Center. Hiking boots and extra water are recommended. Rocky and steep on the AT. Enjoy.

Nice and scenic views on I-486 and Lehigh River. All these views are on North trail (blue marks) where you can feel the real freedom observing open spaces. Climbing is not hard, trail is mostly flat. To see scenes near Lehigh tunnel you need to step out from marked trail - try to find barely visible trails between 2.2 and 2.4 miles..

We parked in the small dirt lot at the trailhead, across the bridge from 873; bit confusing finding the correct path. Ended up switching between different paths, crossing through the brush. Nonetheless when we made it to the top we had gorgeous views of the northern ridge of the Lehigh valley onward. This is thanks In part to recent wildfires burning away the vegetation on the northern slope. Not from Jim Thorpe and Allentown, definitely a nice afternoon hike. Would recommend. @gohikepa

These trails are right near my house, the north trail has some great views and is probably my favorite of them, usually the least crowded too. Personally I like the hiking, views, and atmosphere of this area much more than the surrounding areas such as the knob.

This is my favorite hike in the Lehigh Valley. It's a 7 mile loop that starts with about a 1 mile long climb. Once at the top I usually go past the first Blue Blaze and then take the 2nd blue Blaze which will you take you along the ridge of the mountain. You will hike along the ridge for about 1.5 miles with a continuous view which is awesome. The trail will head back down the mountain past the AT shelter. Back down the same trail you initially climbed which is steep rocky.