Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail

Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail is a 27.9 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Stewart, Pennsylvania that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and cross country skiing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Point to Point

Directions from Rockwood, PA: Take SR 653 west approximately 8 - 10 miles to reach Laurel Ridge State Park. The trail actually covers five counties beginning in Ohiopyle State Park. There are access points all along the trail.

It's been awhile since I've done any of this trail, but it a great trail. Dog lovers should know that leashes are not required in the state forest sections of this trail. Voice control.

Hiked the whole 70 miles, started in ohiopyle. The first 7 miles were pretty tough, mile 6 to 7 in particular. Views were great. Then it was flat ground mainly till mile 21 which passed through some forest type settings. Everything after wasn't nearly as tough. I'd say only do the first 7 miles the first night, then you could tackle up to the shelter at 21 from there the next day. and take 2 or 3 more to hike the rest. Done in 5 days 4 nights. Great hike

Travelled from Route 653 to Grindle Ridge. I was fascinated by both great views, and the rock outcroppings in this particular six mile stretch. I'd note most of this stretch of trail was rather "level" and I'd rank that part moderate. Today, Michelle and I walked from Grindle Ridge to the Route 31 parking lot. There were several slopes to climb and "unclimb." We particularly liked the attractions like the lake at the top of Seven Springs, the views, and "surviving" the trip :).

Very enjoyable hike. We spent two nights on the trail. You get to see a little bit of everything - small streams with waterfalls, scenic views over the river and the laurels of course if you go in the Spring. Some strenuous parts mixed with nice flatter sections. I'd highly recommend going toward Ohiopyle rather than away from it because of elevation changes. The campsites with cabins make for great sleeping if you can snag one.

best trail I have ever went on and has lots of sites

Challenging but worth the views!

Did the 12 mile stretch from rt 271 to the rt 30 shelters then back the next morning. The best thing I can say about this section is you are totally off grid the entire hike. You just cross a few access roads and that's it. It's really beautiful. For me this was my longest hike so far and I have to say it was pretty tough. I would only pack what you need and yes bring enough water. The shelters are very nice and wood was available. Many thanks to the folks that maintain this great piece of land.