Lake Williams and Lake Redman

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(124)
William H Kain Park

Lake Williams and Lake Redman is a 12.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near York, Pennsylvania that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 12.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,541 feet Route Type: Loop

Lovely in all seasons, not too trafficked as to be annoying but there's almost always someone out there. Pretty views of the lakes, a little highway noise but not too intrusive.

Def not marked. Thought I was lost a few times. When you cross the highway go up the road to the water pumping plant. You have to go through a long tunnel under the highway that is low and has water in. Kinda creepy. Pretty being on the water!

Nice hike with varied terrain. Not blazed, so best to use the app to follow the route. Part of the trail uses a currently closed road to cross the reservoir. Two tunnels to cross under the interstate. Not too bad, but different.

Nice trail and tunnels. Foot traffic allowed over closed bridge

beautiful trails, cool tunnels, lots of road noise

Great trail. A must do.

trail 7 is no joke. Be mindful of spiderwebs.

Sun Apr 21 2019

loop 1,1a, and what should be marked 1b. Had to back track to cove inner loops. Not marked the best.

Tue Feb 19 2019

Mon Oct 15 2018

Tunnels! Highly recommend for speed workout. I did the section around Lake Redman. Little over 8 miles. I especially liked the tunnels under the highway, nice piece of a unique trail system.

Sun Aug 26 2018

Challenging, fun

Sun Jul 29 2018

Great trail system. Part of my cycle of trails that I hike often

Fri Jul 20 2018

Love these trails! A bit of everything...wide pine needle paths, narrow roots/rock single track, grassy hills. All with great wildlife and lakeside views.

Sat Jun 09 2018

Although it is not marked, this trail is sweet, offering one of the best speed hikes one could ask for -- too bad I had to cut it short. I used GPS the whole way, but that was fine; I'll take it. The trail itself made up the difference. ATTENTION: Section 1 is still closed; park ranger stopped me right in my tracks. If there is an alternative way to get to Section 7, please post your recording. Thanks. I really liked the grassy hill challenges. Not many trails offer grass for hill climbs, so that was nice. Also, there were nice views, great shade on a sunny day, and I saw turtles. Not much for wildlife, but I'll take that, too. It is an enjoyable trail, and I would like to do the whole thing. Can't wait until Section 1 is back open unless there is an alternate way.

Tue Apr 17 2018

It’s a classic! I don’t think it’s “ hard” but I did grow up around it. Some really steep hills though and mud! Wear shoes with good tread!

Sat Feb 17 2018

A nice challenge

Fri Oct 20 2017

One of my favorite areas to ride bike or hike. Yes trail #1 is currently closed but 200 yards heading south on George Street and you can pick up trails on the left. They will take you to the boat docks and beyond. This is a nice mix of terrain for a good cardio workout!

Thu Aug 31 2017

Trail 1 is closed due to construction so it is difficult to get around the entire trail right now.

Sun Aug 27 2017

Sections of the trail went unmarked and it was hard to follow. Also, one section was closed but there were no postings to make us aware of them. Two crossing sections were dark tunnels full of water and no standing room to go through. The other sections are beautiful and well marked. A great trail for seasoned or novice hikers. We saw several deer, frogs, a snake, and even a baby opossum.

Thu May 11 2017

the trail took about 5 hours for me with a few mishaps. tunnels were fun

Sun Mar 19 2017

I love the hike around Lake William but the trail markings had been pretty awful (e.g., where trails diverge). It's a beautiful hike. The only difficulty I can think of is walking up and down some sizable hills, but it's not 'rocky'.

Sun Mar 19 2017

Love our local trails.

Thu Mar 02 2017

As good as it gets

Wed Feb 08 2017

Great trail. Super fun. my dog and I love everything hiking this trail.